How do I fly in a "No Fly Zone" aka "Airport"

Reaction score
I have been asked to participate by flying the Phantom and answering questions about drones during an Airport Day Fly-In at an airport that is in red in the DJI Map "No Fly Zones". During that day, there will be an antique car show and RC aerobatic demonstrations in addition to the many airplanes that are coming in.

I have contacted the official staff at the airport and I have obtained permission to fly during the event. FAA regulation say that I must contact and inform Air Traffic Control or Airport Operator with prior notice. I have not only done that but I have also obtained authorization even though I did not have to.

So here are the questions:
Is my Phantom 3P able to fly?
If I fly in ATTI mode, would it take off?
Is there a way to disable the no fly feature?
Do you think it is appropriate for DJI to have a feature to prevent you to fly when the FAA says is ok if you advise?
Does one have to buy a different brand to be able to fly in this case?

I feel that this will be a great opportunity to have a positive interaction with the public about drones. To dispel any misconception about privacy and danger and promote the awesome technology that the drones bring.

I have the same questions. I've been heavily involved with the Young Eagles program in the past and would like to be able to demo my drone at an event sometime. It does not appear to be possible with a Phantom 3 though.

The tin-foil 'hat' is your only recourse a.k.a. no ready-to-fly GPS.

This was demo-ed by a mythbuster associate from the 'Tested' blog and a DJI rep many months ago.

The tin-foil is used attenuate the GPS signals so as to tout the VPS and is introduced about 10 minutes into the vid.

Last edited:
Reactions: clivek_77
It seems like there would be some way to "submit a request" to DJI and get a temporary over-ride.

I would just bring one of my old MRs with WKM or Naza controller.

I have done demo flights several times at airports and even inside school gyms, and town meetings. I usually put the video up on a large LCD for the audience to see, and let volunteers from the audience run the camera. These are with dual radio systems. The results are very popular and help spread the word about what we can do.

Here is some onboard footage of demos:

Contact DJI. I was at an event of theirs recently and they said they can individually disable NFZs for people on request. Since it sounds like you have the proper permission, they should be able to assist.

No idea how they do this, since i didn't care to ask more.

This was posted by "The Editor", a staff member, at the Inspire Pilots forum:

"Unless you hold a valid CAA/FAA/CASA exemption unlock will not be granted."

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions/Help answers a lot of the regulation questions.... Bottom line, if your not flying your drone for business, just get permission form the airspace controlling authority(control tower) google AirNav.com... give you all the airport data you never wanted to know...
Be connected to the internet with your mobile device(screen) and tap the RED! triangle up near the top of the DJI App screen. check the responsibility boxes and off you go.... This works for me living under extensive Class D Airspace... not sure if your around a Class B area... have to try or if someone has that info, please respond .....
Also if your a part 107 commercial UAS operator then you already know about submitting for short term(daily) waivers.... but you still need to contact the tower and get permission instead of forgiveness... be cool and they will be too.... also, when your done call them back and let the tower know you finished.... and for gods sake, don't violate the FAA rules and Tower recommendations, not that they can stop a hobbyist from flying below 200ft near the airport....just stay away from the airport property, arrival/departure paths, and other aircraft... we don't want this to be like gun laws with every non-flying know-it-all afraid of their own shadow, objecting because your within 100 mile of his/her nose or the cat....!

Last edited:
I have been asked to participate by flying the Phantom and answering questions about drones during an Airport Day Fly-In at an airport that is in red in the DJI Map "No Fly Zones". During that day, there will be an antique car show and RC aerobatic demonstrations in addition to the many airplanes that are coming in.

I have contacted the official staff at the airport and I have obtained permission to fly during the event. FAA regulation say that I must contact and inform Air Traffic Control or Airport Operator with prior notice. I have not only done that but I have also obtained authorization even though I did not have to.

So here are the questions:
Is my Phantom 3P able to fly?
If I fly in ATTI mode, would it take off?
Is there a way to disable the no fly feature?
Do you think it is appropriate for DJI to have a feature to prevent you to fly when the FAA says is ok if you advise?
Does one have to buy a different brand to be able to fly in this case?

I feel that this will be a great opportunity to have a positive interaction with the public about drones. To dispel any misconception about privacy and danger and promote the awesome technology that the drones bring.
One of the reasons that I haven't updated my app or FW lately, I'm still in control of where and when my sUASs fly and take full responsibility for following FAA regs and rules. Bet the other sUAS pilots (the RC acrobatic team) didn't have to ask the manufacturers of their equipment for permission to fly. Remember, we all fall into the same category as far as the FAA is concerned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik