How do I calibrate compass P3A when try to fly indoor?

Reaction score
I'm new to drone, just got my very first drone(P3A) over the holiday weekend. When I tried to fly indoor, it drifts quite a bit. My question is do I need to calibrate compass outside my house then bring the bird back indoor and fly? sorry for the newbie question.

FWIW, you might want to stick to flying outdoors. Flying inside of a house is a crash waiting to happen for most people.

Yes, always calibrate the compass outdoors, away from any metallic objects, including watches, phones, etc. indoors, you will be in ATTI mode, so the bird will drift.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for your reply. I thought since the P3A has the Vision Position System, it could fly indoors more stable than P3S. I've watched a few youtube videos on P3A fyling indoors, it's quite stable when hovering.

Last edited:
I have some cheap drones, but decided to step it up a notch..bought a P3S. Ya ..what they said..calibrate it away from any tall metallic buildings ..or large structures will give you a more accurate calibration. Also do the IMU calibration..I did both on mine, but I fly outdoors. Yours is more advanced than mine so i don't know if an IMU calibration is needed..I'm a newbie myself to these awesome DJI drones.

Howdy Folks! I have a question also..should I trust the new firmware update for the P3S? I have heard stories about loss transmitting distance compared to the stock firmware. I myself is a newbie to DJI drones. Big step up from my cheap ones. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I thought since the P3A has the Vision Position System, it could fly indoors more stable than P3S. I've watched a few youtube videos on P3A fyling indoors, it's quite stable when hovering.
Everything on youtube 'seems easy' =)
It takes 5 youtube minutes to swap out a Nissan S15 SR20DET motor.
It takes 5 reality days =)

And If you are asking and not sure about when are where to calibrate compass, then I highly recommend you NOT to fly indoors until you have some understanding on how the Phantom 3 all works.

And for those who are thinking on flying indoors, just make sure you set your RTH to zero and to hover in the case it does pick up a false GPS lock outdoors that is +60 ft. This will prevent it from accidently RTH if your controller dies or loses signal.

And keep away from walls and ceilings. You will get vortex vacuums..

Reactions: Loz and Webby

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20