How do I bring my bird down faster

Reaction score
How can I make my bird come down little faster descent down it seems to take forevermore for it to drop down
Where do I change this ?

There is no way to change it.

FYI, it's not a good idea to bring your bird straight down. It could cause your Phantom to start wobbling and then crash straight into the ground. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd_x1i_vAA

Try coming down at an angle instead.

Reactions: GreatScott
saao said:
Iabove said:
How can I make my bird come down little faster descent down it seems to take forevermore for it to drop down
Where do I change this ?

Straight down not a good option but faster descend can be done through older firmwares

Agree, but from watching video posted seem to also be inexperienced operator & using prop guards.

I wonder if anyone has tried dropping the bird like a rock in manual mode by not giving it any throttle, and maybe a few hundred feet up, start throttling it to the max? would that work?

Geert said:
eyecon82 said:
I wonder if anyone has tried dropping the bird like a rock in manual mode by not giving it any throttle, and maybe a few hundred feet up, start throttling it to the max? would that work?

Why don't you try this out and let us know. :D

Geert./.

Before you throttled up switch it to GPS mode because it would go at a great rate of knots in the direction it was facing.

DownunderPhantom said:
Geert said:
eyecon82 said:

Why don't you try this out and let us know. :D

Geert./.

Before you throttled up switch it to GPS mode because it would go at a great rate of knots in the direction it was facing.
That works too

Back in the old days at 6 m/s you had to be careful but since DJI slowed descent to 2m/s descending vertically is fine.
That's why they slowed it so much - so it would descend safely.

Iabove said:
Where do I change this ?

So, lets really give a full answer: first, you can't make a change in the software that limits the descent speed, it's written in DJI stone someplace. The reason is that if you descend straight down too fast, you can get trapped in in a Ring Vortex State (search that on these forums) and possibly loose control all together. There are however other ways to get down faster.

You can try to fly in circles while descending, to avoid that RVS. IF you are flying forward while loosing altitude, you should be able to come down a little faster. Try flying in a twenty foot circle while holding the throttle all the way down.

The other option is to switch to Manual Mode, which will allow you to bypass all the smart software and programming built in. This is generally considered something only very experienced pilots should try.

At the extreme end of "don't try this at home", you could actually turn the motors off by moving the sticks down and in, and then turn the motors back ON in time to prevent a crash. This idea has been bantered around, but I've not seen proof that anyone has actually attempted it on purpose.

I have done it, at 500' switched to manual mode, drops like a rock, then full power at about 150'

Now that I think about it, I actually did this on accident. I has my s1 third notch to manual and I hit it by accident at 350 feet up and it just started dropping out of the sky and my instinct was to just throttle up as hard as I can to recover. Np issues, but maybe it was just luck?

Anyhow, I ended up making that third notch RTH as a result. I wear gloves in the winter to fly and I don't wanna accidentally hit it again and not realize it

I can't believe what I'm reading some of these responses from the seniors

Guys that's how we end up with threads reporting so called flyaways and bad bad DJI products that just crash on their own....

Wanna be called a phantompilot... google the basics of aviation . :D

Vortex Ring State my man..... HAve you ever seen a real helicopter just coming down fast ????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

I descend by toggling in/out of Manual mode. No use of throttle. Put in MM briefly, until descent rate hits 10m/sec, then back to ATTI. Let FC regain control on its own with zero stick inputs. Recovery is by no means immediate, so flight plan accordingly. As soon as descent rate slows to ~3m/sec, enter MM again. Repeat until down to 100m AGL or thereabouts, then "fly" down the rest of the way. Lots of fun. Been to >1,500m and lived to see another day. New goal is 2km AGL. Over private, rural property, slow air space, outside USA.

Kelly

New Phantom pilot here but as a commercial helicopter pilot I felt like I should chime in here with some rotorcraft aerodynamics and why coming straight down, especially trying to do it faster, is a bad idea. I see the term vortex ring state (VRS) used a lot here and in this case it is spot on. In manned helos we typically refer to it as settling with power instead of VRS but they are same aerodynamic phenomenon. We call it settling with power because that's exactly what happens to you. The MORE power you apply, the faster your UNCONTROLLED descent becomes, which is somewhat counterintuitive.

As an example, when we set up settling with power (VRS) recovery demos, the helo is put in a stable hover at altitude and a slow vertical descent is started. Unless there is a significant wind you will usually see an accelerating decent rate develop almost immediately. We then increase collective (power), which is the instinctive response for a pilot to correct the descent, and then see the descent rate accelerate dramatically thus aggravating the situation. Recovery is executed by lowering the collective (power), which again is counterintuitive, and flying out of it with forward cyclic (moving forward). This is why "big helicopter" pilots avoid vertical descents to land (aka hover down landings) if at all possible. Even a small forward movement dramatically reduces the chance of descending within your own downwash.

As for the Phantom, I understand there are times when you need to get down in a hurry. I think the quad copter design may be somewhat less prone to settling with power than a single rotor system. However, once you're in it recognition and recovery will be more difficult, especially since you aren't sitting in it to feel it coming. Even with the 2m/s descent restriction a straight down descent is asking for trouble, particularly if the air is still.

Since I'm new to the Phantom I can't speak to the methods of getting around the descent restrictions. Regardless, some forward movement through the air during descent will always be safer and more stable. The faster the descent rate, the more important it becomes. Notice I said forward movement through the air. Landing with a tail wind would cancel out your forward movement...which is another thing helo pilots don't do, land down wind.

Hope all this helps.

Reactions: Avidphoto
K9pilot said:
Even a small forward movement dramatically reduces the chance of descending within your own downwash.

Yep, I have noticed this on a calm day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues