How do I balance the gimbal with filter attached?

Reaction score
I received a ND filter that fits the V+. Obviously it throws the gimbal out of balance.
I would like to know, how do I attach weight to the gimbal/camera to balance it?

That is a very nice looking filter, but 25g is almost an ounce of weight! I'm not sure how they figure it isn't putting a strain on the gimbal motors, as even the lens cap affects it. If you listen carefully, I would imagine you will hear the gimbal's tilt motor humming, and I would think that motor is rather warm after a few minutes. You need to weigh the filter, and counterbalance it with something taped to the back of the camera. Perhaps a coin or two? You will probably need more weight in the counterweight than the lens weighs, because the counterweight will be flush with the camera back, whereas the lens filter protrudes further out.

Little embarrassed. I made an error, it is close to 8g not 25g. I was thinking .25ounce when I typed that.

Absolutely more noise than without. I would say a little hotter too. I have only had it on for a minute because of that
Don't get me wrong, it's a good little filter.

Ok. Just tape then.

Thanks for your help.

A Canadian Toonie (ie $2 coin) is presently in very wide circulation and weighs 7.3g so with a bit of glue or tape it's very very close.

2003b_2D_370.jpg

Dirty Bird said:
That is a very nice looking filter, but 25g is almost an ounce of weight! I'm not sure how they figure it isn't putting a strain on the gimbal motors, as even the lens cap affects it. If you listen carefully, I would imagine you will hear the gimbal's tilt motor humming, and I would think that motor is rather warm after a few minutes. You need to weigh the filter, and counterbalance it with something taped to the back of the camera. Perhaps a coin or two? You will probably need more weight in the counterweight than the lens weighs, because the counterweight will be flush with the camera back, whereas the lens filter protrudes further out.
+1......Dirty Bird is spot on again. OP, Don't worry about getting the right coin, try a nickel or penny and see if the humming stops.

DBeard said:
Little embarrassed. I made an error, it is close to 8g not 25g. I was thinking .25ounce when I typed that.

At 8g, that is a lot better, and much less strain on the gimbal motor, though I still suggest a counterweight. Does the filter just slip over the camera lens? Does it fit well? May have to check one out.

My thought for a filter was purchasing a sheet of polarizing film, using an appropriately sized circular punch, and adhering it to the front of the camera with a mild adhesive like a glue stick or a few dots of rubber cement. It would be virtually weightless, and I already have the correct sized punch from my lightsaber mods.

Dirty Bird said:
My thought for a filter was purchasing a sheet of polarizing film, using an appropriately sized circular punch, and adhering it to the front of the camera with a mild adhesive like a glue stick or a few dots of rubber cement. It would be virtually weightless, and I already have the correct sized punch from my lightsaber mods.

Ah, that was my first idea, worked fine, but then had to be removed for night flying or dull days, so I came up with this MKII version, I print the sleeve on my 3D printer and the whole finished thing weighs in at 1gramme

Attachments

• lenscapfilter2.jpg
    lenscapfilter2.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 489
  • lenscapfilter.jpg
    lenscapfilter.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 491
  • testfilter.jpg
    testfilter.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 465
Yes it just slips on, exactly jaykay2pt show his homemade version does. Fits perfectly, very snug.
I made some attempts at counter balancing last night. The big problem is when I apply weight to the camera rear, it throws the roll further out of balance. Attaching weight to the side for roll compensation is more complicated due to limited surface.

I just found out Viewkopter is based in Montreal. I've been looking for a ND filter and shipping to Calgary should be reasonably quick so I put in my order. I'll let you know how this thing works when I get it.

I'm waiting for my ND filter from these guys (in Boston) We shall see how it preforms. Keep me posted on any fixes/problems please! and I'll do the same.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20