How did you decide on and complete your first high flight?

Reaction score
Hello all,

Newbie question (as I want to learn before I see some things for myself out in the field):

Of course, I already started with flying around me, at close distances, in an open field. And am wondering...

How did you get the nuts and decide to do your first much higher flight (where you can't judge the height and it's scary; sure enough trying not to reach over the 400 feet limit).

What's your story?

Re: How did you decide on and complete your first high fligh

IceFireSoul said:
Hello all,

Newbie question (as I want to learn before I see some things for myself out in the field):

Of course, I already started with flying around me, at close distances, in an open field. And am wondering...

How did you get the nuts and decide to do your first much higher flight (where you can't judge the height and it's scary; sure enough trying not to reach over the 400 feet limit).

What's your story?

I've had mine for 4 weeks now. A tried a number of tests at low altitude of the return-to-home feature which is activated by turning off the transmitter. When I was confident that everything was working as it should, I put in a fresh battery and sent it straight up. It got so small that I could no longer see it or hear it. Then I powered off the transmitter and it showed up safe and sound on my doorstep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pYfsIbmuy8

Now that I have a FPV I may try again to see if I can go even higher.

Nice one! By the way, a better way to force-engage the failsafe mode is to set it in NAZA M software so that you can do it with the right switch; the second "ATT" mark.

Had mine couple weeks an have gone fairly high but get nervous still .

Now have fat shark FPV goggles so might push it bit more :D

I did take it too around 60-70 an turn the controller off :eek: to test the go home an land lol must you once it's on it's way I had no control an it landed 5ft from my pond :D

FACT:

If you engage failsafe by turning the controller off, you can then gain control, but it's harder - you need to push throttle all the way down, set it in "GPS" mode; then turn on controller and very quickly release throttle to middle position; then switch to ATT and you gain control.

EASIER WAY:

In NAZA M software; set it so that the second "ATT" position of the upper-right switch enables "FAILSAFE". Then turn Failsafe that way - in this scenario; you regain control simply by moving the switch up to the original ATT mode.

phantom.jpg

This is as high as I got before it lost connection with the transmitter and suddenly kicked into failsafe mode. It was high enough that I couldn't see or hear it, but the predator FPV was still working and I could see it spin around and then start descending (although it's very difficult to tell ascending/descending when it's at that height).

Once it got a bit lower, I switched to ATTI and regained control and brought it down the rest of the way.

I'll admit I was a bit scared :)

Am I the only one who thinks that sending it up into unknown winds to an unknown altitude to the point where you can no longer see it sounds kinda like a bad and irresponsible idea.

Winds could be higher and overpower the GPS hold, making it drift to god knows where.
Your battery could die on the way down, leaving it to plummet like a rock.

failsafe

IceFireSoul said:
Nice one! By the way, a better way to force-engage the failsafe mode is to set it in NAZA M software so that you can do it with the right switch; the second "ATT" mark.
OK my understanding is when the switch is pulled down to the lowest position ATTI, it enters manual mode. Then what am I supposed to do with the sticks. tks

mroberts said:
Am I the only one who thinks that sending it up into unknown winds to an unknown altitude to the point where you can no longer see it sounds kinda like a bad and irresponsible idea.

Winds could be higher and overpower the GPS hold, making it drift to god knows where.
Your battery could die on the way down, leaving it to plummet like a rock.

I agree, it wasn't the best of ideas. To be fair, I had the FPV on so I knew where it was and everything seemed fine (ie no apparent drift or heavy winds) on the way up. I also tried it on a fresh battery, and it took < 1 min to get to that height. I flew it for several minutes after bringing it back down, so it still had plenty of juice.

Your point however, is very valid and I don't think I'll be doing that again.

IceFireSoul said:
FACT:

If you engage failsafe by turning the controller off, you can then gain control, but it's harder - you need to push throttle all the way down, set it in "GPS" mode; then turn on controller and very quickly release throttle to middle position; then switch to ATT and you gain control.

My experience has been that using the default settings, if it goes into failsafe for whatever reason (lost connection, turned off the controller), then simply switching to ATTI gives you control again. This is with the new controller, where the sticks automatically go to the middle position.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31