How critical is bitrate to buyers?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm making some final tweaks before going live with phase 2 of our distribution platform. I was wondering how important is it to buyers to display the framerate and bitrate of footage.

I can imagine frame rate has huge impact, but what about bittrate. Assuming footage is in 4K and at 29.97 fps, would that not imply high bitrate by default. Would you believe it necessary to display that information as well, or is this just a good to have?

Any feedback is welcomed.

Cheers

Patrice

well a lot of people see p3 has 4k camera and automatically assumes its great... however bitrate of 60 is really low for a 4k... would be good at 1080p but at 4k the image is too compressed and lacks a lot of detail....so showing bitrate is important in my opinion

Hi everyone,

I'm making some final tweaks before going live with phase 2 of our distribution platform. I was wondering how important is it to buyers to display the framerate and bitrate of footage.

I can imagine frame rate has huge impact, but what about bittrate. Assuming footage is in 4K and at 29.97 fps, would that not imply high bitrate by default. Would you believe it necessary to display that information as well, or is this just a good to have?

Any feedback is welcomed.

Cheers

Patrice
What exactly is a 'distribution platform'?

Would need to know what this is before applying any frame rates or bit rates.

Are you talking about a camera or a web service ... or other??

What exactly is a 'distribution platform'?

Would need to know what this is before applying any frame rates or bit rates.

Are you talking about a camera or a web service ... or other??
I am essentially building a stock footage website dedicated 100% to aerial content. This is a project we've been developing for 9 months at great investment in time and money.

The content on there right now is 100% my own, but the intent is to launch a marketplace that will allow complete flexibility for content creators to sell their own footage through the site. Compensation for artists will be industry shattering (up to 70% for the content creators) which is a complete reversal of what other stock footage sites do today. Really interesting stuff.

The question was related to the information we should display when customers visit the site and preview footage. On that product details page, should we display bitrate or is this just a 'good to know'.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Patrice

I am essentially building a stock footage website dedicated 100% to aerial content. This is a project we've been developing for 9 months at great investment in time and money.

For reference, you can check it out: www.aerial-entertainment-studios.com

The content on there right now is 100% my own, but the intent is to launch a marketplace that will allow complete flexibility for content creators to sell their own footage through the site. Compensation for artists will be industry shattering (up to 70% for the content creators) which is a complete reversal of what other stock footage sites do today. Really interesting stuff.

The question was related to the information we should display when customers visit the site and preview footage. On that product details page, should we display bitrate or is this just a 'good to know'.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Patrice
Hi Patrice,
I have been supplying stock for over thirty years and seen many changes. It is a tough market and one that easily becomes saturated with new media. Your bit rate question is a good one in regard to video.
I would suggest that to higher end buyers, it will be important. However if it is a 'killer' shot and has been shot correctly, even at 60 Mbps, then 'content is king' as they say and who cares about bit rate. The higher the frame rate, the more versatile the capture is (and more valuable$), you can always discard frames but you can't create them (you can interpolate with software).
You could probably offer a more premium product, with higher pricing, with the much higher bit rates/frames rates shot with other platforms.
A good operator can trans-code to a higher bit rate and colour depth and mask some of the original capture parameters if the original capture is perfect.

Hi Patrice,
I have been supplying stock for over thirty years and seen many changes. It is a tough market and one that easily becomes saturated with new media. Your bit rate question is a good one in regard to video.
I would suggest that to higher end buyers, it will be important. However if it is a 'killer' shot and has been shot correctly, even at 60 Mbps, then 'content is king' as they say and who cares about bit rate. The higher the frame rate, the more versatile the capture is (and more valuable$), you can always discard frames but you can't create them (you can interpolate with software).
You could probably offer a more premium product, with higher pricing, with the much higher bit rates/frames rates shot with other platforms.
A good operator can trans-code to a higher bit rate and colour depth and mask some of the original capture parameters if the original capture is perfect.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I agree with you. Content is king.
Given your experience in the world of stock, would you be ok if I picked your brain on what to do and what to avoid. Would be happy to do a skype call to discuss.

I am 100% convinced there is potential here that is not exploited.

I was approached multiple times by big companies like Shutterstock and Pond 5 to sell my footage through them. What I didn’t get was how they split the revenues. As you will know, the normal business practice is to offer the artist no more than 25-40% of the revenues, while the platform (Shutterstock) gets the bigger share. I simply didn’t agree with that approach as I was the one who took all the risks and I did all the work. Getting 25% was actually insulting to me. The big problem is that’s how it works across the whole stock footage industry. No matter which company is out there, that’s the model. Not sure how they came up with it, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

That’s why I decided to build (at great expense) my own stock footage platform focused 100% on aerial footage that is artistic in nature, and/or displays the beauty of the planet. The big difference however is that I built this platform with the intent of rewarding content creators. That’s why I am implementing a compensation system that pays the artists between 50% and 70% of the sale price (depending on the number of segments available for sale on my platform). This is a complete reversal of normal business practices in the stock industry.
That’s why I am confident I can partner with a number of content creators who want to get their footage out there, but don’t want to give all the profits to the distribution platform. Being a passionate content creator myself, I built this with the intent of shaking things up in the marketplace.

I would love to get your thoughts on this as well as your advice.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Patrice

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31