How common are "fly offs"

Reaction score
Just ordered a Phantom 2 with gimbal for my GoPro...

Just wondering if these things are pretty reliable in GPS mode (probably the only mode I'll ever fly in since my area is almost always somewhat windy)

I think flyoffs that were not caused by user error are extremely uncommon on an updated Phantom 2. Just make sure you read and fully understand the owners manual, and watch as many youtube tutorials as you can find while you wait for your Phantom to arrive.

atoms said:

Just wondering if these things are pretty reliable in GPS mode (probably the only mode I'll ever fly in since my area is almost always somewhat windy)

This is a subject of great debate and there is no easy answer. Fly aways do happen. They seem to be more common with earlier versions of the Phantom but they still happen. If you take the necessary precautions, you can reduce the risk to a point where it is very unlikely.

As for what causes fly aways, some are due to user error, getting confused and/or panicking. No one likes to admit screwing up so it's easier to blame the Phantom. These are not technically fly aways but get reported as such.

Some are potentially down to interrupted RC control as result of EMI/RF interference though there doesn't seem to be any of this type for the P2 yet which has an upgraded RX. Some are mechanical issues or bad configuration. You have four corners that all need to produce lift in a consistent manner and if they don't, odd things can happen. A badly calibrated compass and/or IMU can confuse the FC into acting erratically.

I've probably done around 60 flights so far with my Phantom 2. No problems yet...Hopefully it stays that way.

atoms said:

Honestly, being one of the first people to get a P1 early last year and now owning a P2, I can attest that fly aways far less frequent. How do I know? Where are my stats? Well, do a Google search and you'll see. This time last year when the P1 came out, there were already tons of fly aways reported. I know, I would search weekly for the cause of why mine flew away.

One thing I am sure of, but may never prove is that DJI knew of the problem and finally addressed it in their updated Phantoms. They will never admit it because of liability. Far too many fly aways on the original Phantom for it just to be solely user error. Most the people who point a finger and say original Phantom fly aways are mainly caused by user error have probably never had a legitimate fly away before, have never owned an original Phantom or just listen to what others say.

A true fly away is when you follow all precautions, fly in an open field, and your Phantom doesnt respond to your sticks.

A false fly away is caused by user error as DJI will tell you. I'm no donkey, I know if they ever admit to flyaways they will be liable.

But I do love the Phantom 2 (not sure about P2V, because its flying on different frequencies) and I'm happy to say it's not prone to fly away.

And yes, everytime I've posted something about this, someone who's never owned an original P1 and flyaway has chimed in that I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they havent been searching flyaway stories and solutions as much as I did in the past year.

So when you do the research, remember to differentiate between flyaways on the original P1 (most true flaways), the P2 and P2V.

Cheers.

My brother claimed he experienced loss of control just yesterday with his Phantom 2 (w/ zenmuse, gopro, fatshark 250mw vtx, flytex, iosd mk II). He was passing one of his neighbor's house when the craft zig and zagged with no input from him, but curiously he could cut the throttle to land on the neighbor's roof.

I've yet to 'interrogate' him ;) but I do notice that when I fly in that area with my P2V around that area in the past, my wifi connection always got cut off near that exact same spot. Even when I've put on the 14dbi TP Link antenna. So I think his story was plausible that it wasn't user error (other than the bad area choice).

Oh yeah, I've also seen my PV's controller being a HUGE interference for his Fatshark's VTX. Anytime I turn on my tx, his fatshark goggle get scrambled, even as far as 5m away. We've yet to try changing the fat shark's channel to avoid this interference.

LeoS said:
My brother claimed he experienced loss of control just yesterday with his Phantom 2 (w/ zenmuse, gopro, fatshark 250mw vtx, flytex, iosd mk II). He was passing one of his neighbor's house when the craft zig and zagged with no input from him, but curiously he could cut the throttle to land on the neighbor's roof.

I've yet to 'interrogate' him ;) but I do notice that when I fly in that area with my P2V around that area in the past, my wifi connection always got cut off near that exact same spot. Even when I've put on the 14dbi TP Link antenna. So I think his story was plausible that it wasn't user error (other than the bad area choice).

Oh yeah, I've also seen my PV's controller being a HUGE interference for his Fatshark's VTX. Anytime I turn on my tx, his fatshark goggle get scrambled, even as far as 5m away. We've yet to try changing the fat shark's channel to avoid this interference.

Thats good to hear! On a true flyaway he would have not been able to cut the throttle at all. Probably outside interference like you said. But funny he landed on neighbor's roof :lol:

thongbong said:
Thats good to hear! On a true flyaway he would have not been able to cut the throttle at all. Probably outside interference like you said. But funny he landed on neighbor's roof :lol:

Yeah, I'll see what I can find out the next time we fly together. It also make me question whether the default Phantom (v1.1+ and Phantom 2)'s receiver make use of Futaba's FASST algorithm or not. It should significantly reduce these occurrences. Now, if I can get him to repeat the incident, then we can get a baseline to compare with, before he upgrades his tx\rx to original Futaba's :mrgreen:

I flew my P2 just over the weekend in a big field but surrounded by probably a lot of wifi signals. I did experience a near fly away when it got close to (within 50ft) of the side of a buildilng. I wasn't going fast and was in complete control the whole time, it just happened to make a hard left without my input while the LED lights on the bottom of the P2 were flashing yellow indicating a loss of range. Then it got away from the building and recovered.

LeoS said:

I was thinking about this earlier. P2V and P2 are kind of incompatible but maybe it's just the analog FPV that suffers as it has no way to cope with interference. Good to see the P2V can work around the P2 analog FPV signal and vice versa.

LeoS said:
Yeah, I'll see what I can find out the next time we fly together. It also make me question whether the default Phantom (v1.1+ and Phantom 2)'s receiver make use of Futaba's FASST algorithm or not. It should significantly reduce these occurrences. Now, if I can get him to repeat the incident, then we can get a baseline to compare with, before he upgrades his tx\rx to original Futaba's :mrgreen:

This would be really interesting to explore. You have a known trouble spot. Would be great to see how the Futaba TX/RX compares to Futaba TX/stock RX and stock TX/RX. It would also be interesting to find out what it is. Maybe your brother's neighbor is running some home brew WiFi gear or he's got an old microwave that he's constantly cooking burritos in! Actually, you should find out what it is first to make sure it is on when you do your testing.

ianwood said:
I was thinking about this earlier. P2V and P2 are kind of incompatible but maybe it's just the analog FPV that suffers as it has no way to cope with interference. Good to see the P2V can work around the P2 analog FPV signal and vice versa.

We haven't got a chance to go out to the countryside to fully test this yet. I have a feeling that my PV's wifi is cut short due to his interference, but I dare not test it since I don't have an attenuator to simulate long distance and I don't want to do it for real. The one time tried the phantom away from the city, I could fly 2x further away with just an omni 8db antenna (vs only half the distance with 12 and 14dbi panels).

ianwood said:
This would be really interesting to explore. You have a known trouble spot. Would be great to see how the Futaba TX/RX compares to Futaba TX/stock RX and stock TX/RX. It would also be interesting to find out what it is. Maybe your brother's neighbor is running some home brew WiFi gear or he's got an old microwave that he's constantly cooking burritos in! Actually, you should find out what it is first to make sure it is on when you do your testing.

I just saw his video, it's not the same spot as my trouble spot (about 150m away); so I don't think we've found a proper test case yet. I can imagine you can simulate the interference by using wifi access point with panel antenna, bursting ip traffic through it, aiming the antenna at a hovering phantom. Then switch the AP's channel from 1 to 13 while repeating the test =P

LeoS said:
I just saw his video, it's not the same spot as my trouble spot (about 150m away); so I don't think we've found a proper test case yet. I can imagine you can simulate the interference by using wifi access point with panel antenna, bursting ip traffic through it, aiming the antenna at a hovering phantom. Then switch the AP's channel from 1 to 13 while repeating the test =P

Ah, too bad. 3 APs on channels 1, 6 and 11 running scripts blasting data back and forth ought to do the trick. In fact, my apt building would be ideal. It is a WiFi arms race.

heavy-traffic.jpg

But I lack a nice soft landing area for a possessed Phantom to crash land.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.