How cold is too cold?

Reaction score
I'm in Louisiana and it's currently 37 degrees F. This is pretty much as cold as it gets for us. It's Mardi Gras and I want to go get some footage of the parade. I have heard people say cold weather can effect the performance of your Phantom. I want to make sure it's warm enough before I go flying semi above people. I can get above the tree lines and above woods so if it did fly away it would just go into the woods but wanted to minimize risk.

Temperature will affect the flying time as the LiPO will discharge quicker in the colder temp. I looked for a graph but could not find one. Optimal temp is 75f from what I've seen.

Keep you eye on the battery level as it will degrade most likely a lot quicker than you are typically use to. Also suggest the next battery be kept in your pocket to keep as warm as possible (by your body temp) before plugging it back in for another flight.

Can't wait to see the parade videos. Please send link when you are done! Wish I was there but hopefully I can live Fat Tuesday through your Phantoms eyes ;)

flew yesterday, 12 below z, flying today 17 below. battery life is about half but i never push the battery too far.
keep em warm before flight and don't go slicing up people . they will and have thrown crap at quads in the past.
expensive way to get your beads bro.

flybynight said:
flew yesterday, 12 below z, flying today 17 below. battery life is about half but i never push the battery too far.
keep em warm before flight and don't go slicing up people . they will and have thrown crap at quads in the past.
Not going that close. Years ago they started putting covers on the tubas in the bands years ago because the tuba hole makes a great target for beads lol. This past fall a bunch of quad owners found a cool place out in the marsh to fly. It became quite popular. Until duck season began. People would go out there to fly and wouldn't see the duck hunters in their duck blind and wound up getting shot out of the air. I think like 30 quads got shot down.

flybynight said:
People continued to fly after shots were fired and quads downed?
That seems odd....

Never dealt with any Duck hunters from the south huh ;)
If it flys it's down, if they can hit it !
Get any footage case ?

flybynight, that is some crazy cold flying you're doing. I need to wear gloves and I bought a pair of lightweight running gloves, but zero is my limit and maybe only two batteries before my fingers freeze.. There is a cup holder in my car right in front of a vent. I crank up the heat and warm the batteries that way before flying.

I've seen the "glove" that goes around your hands and the transmitter, but I'd need to tripod mount my FPV monitor.

I've had a mix of good luck and bad luck. While battery life may decrease due to the cold, I've had a couple just do rapid drain when they hit 60%. No crashes, but I tend to be very cautious to prevent losing my Phantom and camera.

flybynight said:
Cabin fever must have got the best of you to fly in that cold of a temp. I am waiting for it to get back to 45+, then fly. Maybe in another 6 weeks. :(
Enjoy your cold in Min-a-snow-ta. :)

officially the Phantom says it'll operate down to -10 degrees Celcius... just go look up the specs sheet.

A guy just posted in the videos forum saying he got some videos in -30 degrees C, and of course his battery life was significantly reduced
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35205

QYV said:
officially the Phantom says it'll operate down to -10 degrees Celcius... just go look up the specs sheet.

A guy just posted in the videos forum saying he got some videos in -30 degrees C, and of course his battery life was significantly reduced
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35205
Man! So would mine!!!

dirkclod said:
flybynight said:
That seems odd....

Get any footage case ?

We southern folks can shoot real good! Yes, I imagine if hunters were sitting, cramped, in their blind for hours and then here come noisy quads scaring everything away, they probably would shoot them down! We're all of those quads flying in a V formation? :) :)

PhantomFanatic said:
dirkclod said:
flybynight said:
That seems odd....

Get any footage case ?

We southern folks can shoot real good! Yes, I imagine if hunters were sitting, cramped, in their blind for hours and then here come noisy quads scaring everything away, they probably would shoot them down! We're all of those quads flying in a V formation? :) :)

'nough said......... then when home we deep fry them like any other good southern recipe

Attachments

• hunting.jpg
    hunting.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 348
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 316

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members