How close to things you fly?

Reaction score
Hey all

Wanna ask you this question and hear your experiences.

For the people who own P3, which has no obstacle avoidance system.
How close to objects do you fly? I dont mean crowded streets of course.
I just realized that i usually fly pretty high up from trees and etc. And saw a lot of videos where people fly passing a tree with their p3.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

don't ever get close to objects

Video tends to me more fun to watch if you can put a little drama in it. So if you're flying over the top of trees, it's fun to get close. Then when the forest ends, the area below spreads out suddenly. But I think the trick re safety is to be well positioned as a pilot so that you can see the AC with at least some sky underneath it - between the trees and the AC. And you don't want a lot of wind.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: NRJ
I shoot for no less then 5 feet from anything, 10 is where I try to stop but there's not always that much room.

Reactions: NRJ
Are you recreational or commercial? There is no 'close' regulation but there is a 'not over people' restriction under Part 107. Part 107 (and Part 101 for hobbyists) restricts you from flying in a "careless or reckless" manner. That is of course open to interpretation and puts the burden on you to use judgment.

§ 107.23(a), which prohibits a person from operating a small UAS in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

The rule codifies the FAA’s enforcement authority in part 101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering the safety of the NAS.

Reactions: Falcon900
I did a slow flyby gradually gaining altitude and came within 2 ft of clipping the roof edge while recording video of a church. I also flew it indoors of the church within a few feet of obstacles inside. (Be careful because A/C intake drafts will cause drifting) I dont recommend it for everyone.

Reactions: Falcon900
Inside? Here's one from last October flying a P2V old school in ATTI

I'm in Greenland right now and I have been flying through a lot of holes in icebergs, sea arches and caves. Sometimes 2-3 feet over the ocean. No issues at all. The wide field of view makes objects appear closer than they are.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Apilot101
I'm in Greenland right now and I have been flying through a lot of holes in icebergs, sea arches and caves. Sometimes 2-3 feet over the ocean. No issues at all. The wide field of view makes objects appear closer than they are.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of great shots. Don't you mean the wide field of view makes objects appear farther away than they are? Kind of like the convex wide view mirror on the passenger side of a vehicle?

This picture might help give you some perspective.

Distance to P3 from lens perspective.jpg

Measurement taken from the camera. The props stick out about 9 inches.

Reactions: t2adze
The phantom has a 94° field of view I think. This allows you to fly at a safe distance and still have it look close to things. No need to swipe the tree tops. Put the bird a good 50 feet over them and it'll still look like you're swiping the tree tops. Sometimes the tighter field of view is a pain but mostly it can be used to advantage.

If you are editing movies, try flying close to your subject and then video moving back. Then reverse the scene in post editing.

Yes. A very good technique. Here is a low resolution video and it was produced that way. P2 and Flame Wheel 550 were used. I fly very close to trees and other obstacles on a regular basis - still staying within the intent of the FAA rulings/druthers.

I like to get myself in a position so to fly close to an object or water surface and still have a visual of the separation. This video has some neat close quarters stuff for example. I have posted this video before and can't bragg on it due to some poor camera settings in some scenes, but might give some inspiration, love that close in stuff. Example at 1:30

:)

One thing I really avoid is trees and bushes at low altitude..to easy to come to grief!

Are you recreational or commercial? There is no 'close' regulation but there is a 'not over people' restriction under Part 107. Part 107 (and Part 101 for hobbyists) restricts you from flying in a "careless or reckless" manner. That is of course open to interpretation and puts the burden on you to use judgment.

§ 107.23(a), which prohibits a person from operating a small UAS in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

The rule codifies the FAA’s enforcement authority in part 101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering the safety of the NAS.

If you happen to be an American in America...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.