How close to a communications tower is too close

Reaction score
I wanted to fly my Pahntom 2 Vision + , but noticed that what i wanted to shoot was 100 yards from a communications tower, so i decided not to, because of warnings in the manual and on these forums. So my question is, how far away from it do i need to be. And while i am at it, how far do i need to be from high power transmission lines and towers, the really big ones.

Here is a photo of the tower in question:
tower.jpg

A communication tower I'm not sure. If it were me, I'd give it a wide berth. You have no idea what frequenc(ies) it transmits on. I dunno... 50 yards? Maybe more?

As for powerlines, seems that people have different experiences, judging from the threads already on the forums

viewtopic.php?p=211576#p211576

I haven't had any problems being close. I'm not an RF engineer but work around it quite a bit, I think if it was going to cause a problem it would from a pretty good distance. The other possibility is if it has microwave you probably wouldn't have an issue until you were right in front of the dish but then you could have a problem quite a distance out from the dish. Most microwave on these towers is 6GHz or 11GHz that I've dealt with..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22900

To add for a bit of confidence... I live less than 1000 ft from one and have flown Spektrum and Futaba 2.4 GHz systems around it for years with never a problem.

Sometimes as close as 100 ft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj