How 'bout a "Firmware Update for Dummies" tutorial video?

Reaction score
I love my vision, but I am having no luck in updating the firmware. I tried to search this board for help, but I get this error message:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: upgrade firmware vision.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

When I launch the Vision Assistant, it looks like a red status bar that is 2/3 finished, but doesn't move. I have to click SKIP. Then when I press the Phantom 2 Vision button at the top, I get a message "Please connect to the controller." Same message on 2 computers, a Windows 7 and an 8.

So am I supposed to be connecting the Vision controller to the computer via USB? Do you open the back? What is the USB on the Vision itself for?

Re: How 'bout a "Firmware Update for Dummies" tutorial video

BobUnplugged said:
So am I supposed to be connecting the Vision controller to the computer via USB?

Yes. I'm not sure where the connector is on the Vision, but it has to be physically connected to the PC to use the NAZA assistant. Anytime it makes you click "skip" on the loading screen, it means it doesn't have connection with the aircraft. You'll also need to install the drivers the first time you connect it.

Hi Bob,

I know what you mean. DJI still hasn't released the firmware upgrade video yet. I guess they're super busy with launching new products (s1000 octocopter, phantom 2, fc40, etc).

You need to connect the phantom vision with the computer via a microUSB cable. It's the same cable that many smartphones use to charge/sync (samsung, blackberry, kindles, etc; except iPhone and iPads). The port on the phantom vision is on the front side (opposite the battery side)' covered under a white rubber plug. Just lift the rubber pad and you'll find the microUSB port under it.

LeoS said:
Hi Bob,

I know what you mean. DJI still hasn't released the firmware upgrade video yet. I guess they're super busy with launching new products (s1000 octocopter, phantom 2, fc40, etc).

You need to connect the phantom vision with the computer via a microUSB cable. It's the same cable that many smartphones use to charge/sync (samsung, blackberry, kindles, etc; except iPhone and iPads). The port on the phantom vision is on the front side (opposite the battery side)' covered under a white rubber plug. Just lift the rubber pad and you'll find the microUSB port under it.

When I connect it, nothing happens. It acts as if it isn't recognized. The things I describe in 2nd paragraph occur after I connect the PV to my computer.

BobUnplugged said:
LeoS said:
Hi Bob,

When I connect it, nothing happens. It acts as if it isn't recognized. The things I describe in 2nd paragraph occur after I connect the PV to my computer.

Have you installed the phantom drivers yet?

Just upgraded mine today. Had to watch a firmware update video in German to figure out how to do it. Couldn't understand the language but the visuals were good enough to figure it out.

jcwires said:

I watched that video previously, but I don't understand his language.

The good news is, that I figured out what I was doing wrong, and all the info was on this board. I just found it in different places.

The reason I was not able to connect to the drone or the controller is because I had not installed the drivers for them. After I upgraded, I got the wacky invalid battery message, and learned that you have to upgrade the phantom again after you upgrade the controller.

All seems fine now. My PV was running just fine before, but after watching Colin Guinn's video about flyaways, I felt compelled to upgrade.

Many thanks, DJI does not make it clear that one must first install the Driver BEFORE Assistant will recognize the Phantom. Like so many others, I kept following the Assistant instructions that I should connect the laptop/Assistant to the Transmitter/controller - FAIL!

moonlitnite said:
Many thanks, DJI does not make it clear that one must first install the Driver BEFORE Assistant will recognize the Phantom. Like so many others, I kept following the Assistant instructions that I should connect the laptop/Assistant to the Transmitter/controller - FAIL!

Well it gets worse if you have a Mac. There are no drivers to install and the Assistant does not seem to work at all. Well, kind of works. It does recognize I'm connected to the P2, but it tells me the the main controller (I assume it means the transmitter box) needs a new firmware update. It took me almost a half hour to realize I had to disassemble the transmitter and plug the USB cable into the main circuit board. Of course, the Assistant software kept telling me I was not connected to anything and constantly was asking me to log into my account.

Its become obvious that dji customer/tech support has a long way to go. I was reading on the dji site that I should discuss technical problems with the place I bought my unit from before contacting them. Ever try to get tech support on a product from Amazon? I dont think they have a cute Phantom 2 assistant with purple hair you can video chat with for Firmware updates like they do with their Kindles.

jondrew said:
Of course, the Assistant software kept telling me I was not connected to anything and constantly was asking me to log into my account.

Mac version of the RC assistant is not yet available.

AnselA said:
jondrew said:
Of course, the Assistant software kept telling me I was not connected to anything and constantly was asking me to log into my account.

Its available, it just doesnt seem to work

http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/

By the way, the link says "compatible with OS 10.6(Lion) or above. I believe Mac OS 10.6 is Snow Leopard, not Lion.

jondrew said:
AnselA said:
jondrew said:

Its available, it just doesnt seem to work

http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/

Can you read? "Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software" is not same as "Phantom RC Assistant Software"

[/quote]

Can you read? "Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software" is not same as "Phantom RC Assistant Software"[/quote]

No need to be rude. This isn't Twitter and it adds nothing to the discussion. My understanding is that there is only one assistant necessary to upgrade firmware if you have a mac.If that is not correct and something is forthcomming from dji then I will have learned something.

I know sometimes newbies like myself annoy the old timers like you (lets see, you've been on this forum for what, all of 11 days?), but asking questions is they way we exchange information. Feel free to ignore me from now on.

I don't speak a word of German, but that was the clearest explanation i ever had.

jondrew said:
No need to be rude. This isn't Twitter and it adds nothing to the discussion. My understanding is that there is only one assistant necessary to upgrade firmware if you have a mac.If that is not correct and something is forthcomming from dji then I will have learned something.

I know sometimes newbies like myself annoy the old timers like you (lets see, you've been on this forum for what, all of 11 days?), but asking questions is they way we exchange information. Feel free to ignore me from now on.

Good luck in trying to upgrade RC firmware with Vision assistant. What's the point, asking questions and ignoring answers?

You can find 13.4 PHANTOM RC Assistant Software Description in PHANTOM 2 VISION User Manual V1.10 December 26, 2013 Revision page 53.

Attachments

• RC_main_20131231.JPG
    RC_main_20131231.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 413

Harvey3733 said:
I don't speak a word of German, but that was the clearest explanation i ever had.
I really had to grin when I saw this post... Says something about how bad Phantom instructions are :cry:

Btw; If your watching the video via YouTube, try the closed caption option allowing you to choose another language. It's not perfect but 80-90% of the captions translate correctly. I to watch these German posts and more often then not can figure out whats being said and learn something. Auf Wiedersehen :p

Hey guys, I know the OP is looking for Vision firmware update tutorials but wouldn't the process be nearly identical (minus the choice of firmware) to other Phantoms since it's all NAZA based?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0YHQeWaj8

If so, this is the one that got me setup and calibrated after I first opened the box. I've even saved a copy of the video locally in case it gets pulled.

Regarding Macs, I run the NAZA assistant software perfectly fine via VMware on my OSX 10.9.1 mac. When i plug in the Phantom, I have it ask me if I want to direct the USB device to VMware or the Mac. Here's what it looks like on mine (I don't have the Phantom plugged in)

nIvxDGg.jpg

FlyingFanta said:
Regarding Macs, I run the NAZA assistant software perfectly fine via VMware on my OSX 10.9.1 mac. When i plug in the Phantom, I have it ask me if I want to direct the USB device to VMware or the Mac. Here's what it looks like on mine (I don't have the Phantom plugged in)

Thanks. I have an older version of VM Ware I'd have to upgrade in order to run on Mavericks. Frankly I hardly ever used any of my Windows SW and now that I have a new iMac I had no intention of reinstalling. I've read people have used vbox successfully and may try to give that a shot tonight. Will post anything useful if it works out.

For now I'm just going to keep grousing about the complete lack of support from dji. I've sent two emails with no response. I'll try the tech support Phone Number next week, but I'm going to assume it will be a dead end.

That said, I've done a couple of training flights so far and done a few "first flight" videos. I'm very impressed with how well it flies and how easy it is to control. Of course not being an RC flyer of any caliber my only reference point is a Blade Rx cheapo I had a couple of years ago (cheap as in $200 at the time), and now two Estes Proto Nano quads I bought on Amazon to practice with indoors. Those little suckers are much harder to fly than the P2V.

moonlitnite said:

Well this isn't for the Vision but one of the early videos from Colin has him downloading and installing the drivers first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSSIxLmy ... cp&index=4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31