how attach Tarot gimbal to Phantom? And power wires?

Reaction score
I am almost done setting up my Tarot 2D for my phantom.
My question is how do I attached the Tarot gimbal to the Phantom body. The Tarot came with 2 hooks to attach to rail for another quadcopter but Phantom does not have this rail.

Also how do you connect the red black power wires to Lipo battery? It is just 2 wires sticking out? Do you just shove the wires into the Lipo connector holes? But then how do you make them stay there?

Thanks

justsomeguy said:
You can drill the standoffs into the bottom of the Phantom (what I did, works well) or you can buy a mounting plate from ebay, online shops, etc.

I used the aux power lead on the Phantom to power the gimbal. It has been a great (and durable) gimbal for me.

Thanks for reply.
I do not see aux power lead in battery compartment in Phantom. Do I have to take apart the Phantom shell to access the aux power lead and fish it into battery compartment?
Then how do I connect the gimbal black red power wires to phantom aux power lead? Do I need to buy a specific connector to connect them?

the aux power is a little wire that's inside one of the little rubber grommets where the legs attach, you can use tweazers to pull the wire out, then use that wire to power the Tarot. (red is positive, grey is ground)

if you live near a hobby shop, or have time, it's probably ideal to order a male/female JST connector so that you don't have to permanently wire up the gimbal. (or get a couple so you can do the same with FPV if you add that).

attach the female jst to the gimbal, male to the aux power.

this is the kind of adapter plate you might want to connect the Tarot to your Phantom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-Gimba ... 2a3094bc4f

I had to open the phantom up because the aux wire got sucked in there. I finally fished it through the hole out.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_DVZ_6 ... mpoWW1aYVE

Since I never attached JST before is this kind of JST connector I should get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Sets-15cm-JS ... 0955197492

And how do I attach the wires into the JST connector? Do I sodder the wires together? Which means I need to buy a soddering iron? Do I need to buy a crimping tool too?

As you can tell I am not electrician :)

Gizmo3000 said:
the aux power is a little wire that's inside one of the little rubber grommets where the legs attach, you can use tweazers to pull the wire out, then use that wire to power the Tarot. (red is positive, grey is ground)

if you live near a hobby shop, or have time, it's probably ideal to order a male/female JST connector so that you don't have to permanently wire up the gimbal. (or get a couple so you can do the same with FPV if you add that).

attach the female jst to the gimbal, male to the aux power.

this is the kind of adapter plate you might want to connect the Tarot to your Phantom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-Gimba ... 2a3094bc4f

I checked out the ebay adaptor. So this plate attaches to phantom but I don't see how you can attach the tarot gimbal to it. The tarot gimbal has 2 screws close together that attaches to top plate. This plate on ebay does not have 2 holes for the gimbal screws to attach to.

justsomeguy said:
jinspin said:
I checked out the ebay adaptor. So this plate attaches to phantom but I don't see how you can attach the tarot gimbal to it. The tarot gimbal has 2 screws close together that attaches to top plate. This plate on ebay does not have 2 holes for the gimbal screws to attach to.

The two screws do attach the main arm to the top plate but the top plate is not fixed to any hard mount. It is supported by the compressed rubber balls.

The four standoffs attach to the ebay plate and those standoffs attach to the bottom plate. Look at the schematic that came with the gimbal.

Oh so we still keep the existing top plate then. We put the ebay plate on top and attach it with 4 screws into the 4 standoff posts in the plate below. Then we screw the ebay plate into the phantom.
I am in US so if I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get this ebay plate from HK is there another way? Just want to start flying the gimbal. Thanks

justsomeguy said:
jinspin said:
I am in US so if I didn't want to wait 2 weeks to get this ebay plate from HK is there another way? Just want to start flying the gimbal. Thanks

Order plate, mount gimbal into frame, fly, when the plate arrives then uninstall frame-mounted standoffs, re-install into the plate.

what frame are you referring to that I can mount gimbal?
how do I mount gimbal on to the phantom frame without this ebay plate? excuse me but I am not understanding what you just wrote.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj