Hours on airframe?

Reaction score
I've seen other posts on this but nothing really conclusive. How many hours can a guy expect out of a P4 if he doesn't crash and fly's fairly mildly? I'm jus shy of 8 right now which has me at $125 an hour, the highest hours I've see a screenshot of was 50 which would be $20 an hour which I'd be fine with. Anyone got 50+ or a hundred hours out of one?

Got approx 35+ hours, one year use. Life of the motors is what I've believed to be critical as when would be a conservative time to replace, but no data I know of on matter.

Reactions: BCBasher
Got approx 35+ hours, one year use. Life of the motors is what I've believed to be critical as when would be a conservative time to replace, but no data I know of on matter.

The rate I'm going I'm going to hit 50 by august. I'm already planning to by a second, just curious when to retire the first for parts.

I have reached 29 hours, and the only issue now is that some batteries (out of five batteries), after thirty some charges start to show a 90% life. I have never made yet a deep discharge cycle.
6b87b617afb513acd766124a2b2145cd.jpg

Thanks, was wondering about the batteries. I currently only have one with about 25 cycles, will be buying a second in two weeks.

I can't vouch for the P4 but I've got 2 P3's and the least of them has 98h 32m 43s

Still going strong and one of them still has factory props LOL

Reactions: BCBasher and Loz
P4, 13 months old 55 hours with 270 flights, 4,464,585 feet (845 miles / 1360 Km) I have more then that but I did a factory reset of my tablet and did not sync and lost the first month of flight records. 3 of my 4 batteries have over 60 charge cycles, one was replaced by dji after 5 months. All my batteries light up all the 4 lights for battery life. I take care of my batteries and my bird. I try land at around 20% and only charge on fly day the majority of the time. One small crack on the lower left side of the battery compartment, I glued it and it holds for about 10 runs then I have to re-glue. The life of your bird is proportional on how you run it (it's only a machine and sometimes they just break) I am almost all the time in sport mode and take care not to induce to much g force for no reason. 25% of flights were bellow 0c temperature, a few at -20C. Original props and plan to replace my prop springs soon. So far...real good. My addiction comes to about $7.00 a flight or $2 a mile. That's in Canadian dollars so in US dollars I think I fly for free.

Last edited:
P4, 11 months old, 610 klms on the dji app and another 200 klms or so using Litchi. Roughly 45 hours and everything as it was out of the box including the original props. Small hairline cracks in the landing gear that have not deteriorated further since I started hand catching. Batteries >95% and the whole package is treated like a spoilt child.....

Well, thank you all, this information is making me optimistic.

Phantom flying is a new world to me, I've spent a $1000 on RC planes at a time but it was 5-6 identical planes with intention of flying full contact combat and them being reduced to spares parts in the graveyard in 6 months by the time the next batch was ordered.

I'm taking a backseat to my son as he peruses Youtube fame bashing RC cars, I'm flying RC filming his adventures but as soon as I'm needed to retrieve his truck from the ditch, the Phantom just waits. This is actually priceless to me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I justify hobby expenses by $/hr I'd like to see $20/hr out of the Phantom 4 and it looks like that's achievable, next question is the P4 standard being discontinued? If I end up having to replace my std with a pro or adv, are the power systems at least the same for parts compatibility? Should I expect the PRO and ADV to come down in price, $2000 for the PRO would be no problem in my head but the wife seems to see some magic "too expensive" line in there somewhere?

Well, thank you all, this information is making me optimistic.

Phantom flying is a new world to me, I've spent a $1000 on RC planes at a time but it was 5-6 identical planes with intention of flying full contact combat and them being reduced to spares parts in the graveyard in 6 months by the time the next batch was ordered.

I'm taking a backseat to my son as he peruses Youtube fame bashing RC cars, I'm flying RC filming his adventures but as soon as I'm needed to retrieve his truck from the ditch, the Phantom just waits. This is actually priceless to me.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I justify hobby expenses by $/hr I'd like to see $20/hr out of the Phantom 4 and it looks like that's achievable, next question is the P4 standard being discontinued? If I end up having to replace my std with a pro or adv, are the power systems at least the same for parts compatibility? Should I expect the PRO and ADV to come down in price, $2000 for the PRO would be no problem in my head but the wife seems to see some magic "too expensive" line in there somewhere?
Lol, wives are the same everywhere...mine manages 6 trips to the hairdresser each year at $180 a pop not including all the other 'must have' stuff that you cannot object to. That entitles me to a new phantom each year with barely a quibble from 'she who must be obeyed'. I don't gamble or do drugs (beer is not a drug..) and love flying around and filming so it's not an expense that I need to justify, as for the P4 being discontinued, plenty of parts available if you feel the need to stock up, but most of us have few issues other than those that are operator error. Get a P4P as the price for those is coming down, they have a quality camera and numerous features to help you focus more on filming and less on flying if that's your bag.

Lol, wives are the same everywhere...mine manages 6 trips to the hairdresser each year at $180 a pop not including all the other 'must have' stuff that you cannot object to. That entitles me to a new phantom each year with barely a quibble from 'she who must be obeyed'. I don't gamble or do drugs (beer is not a drug..) and love flying around and filming so it's not an expense that I need to justify, as for the P4 being discontinued, plenty of parts available if you feel the need to stock up, but most of us have few issues other than those that are operator error. Get a P4P as the price for those is coming down, they have a quality camera and numerous features to help you focus more on filming and less on flying if that's your bag.

Yes sir, I don't think it's an inability but from the small sample I've observed 2nd wife now they don't calculate their nickle and dime expenses the same way I do my $/hr fun calculation that's for sure.

I'm well aware of the P4Ps benefits and would have got it in the first place but "about a grand" was my budget to buy a new PC or try something new. Now to convince her one that cost three times as much will be three times the fun, I am hoping the price comes down a bit in the next few months,

Reactions: tevek
Yes sir, I don't think it's an inability but from the small sample I've observed 2nd wife now they don't calculate their nickle and dime expenses the same way I do my $/hr fun calculation that's for sure.

I'm well aware of the P4Ps benefits and would have got it in the first place but "about a grand" was my budget to buy a new PC or try something new. Now to convince her one that cost three times as much will be three times the fun, I am hoping the price comes down a bit in the next few months,
Good luck with the 'discussion', life is short so sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness and rather than permission.. BTW, I can get the P4P for A$600 cheaper than within Australia and am seriously considering it, so prices are coming down with the release of each new DJI product.

Good luck with the 'discussion', life is short so sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness and rather than permission.. BTW, I can get the P4P for A$600 cheaper than within Australia and am seriously considering it, so prices are coming down with the release of each new DJI product.

How much does a new one in Australia list for, just curious, our dollars are almost 1:1 right now?

A P4P+ is $3000 with taxes here or $500 less without the screen.

How much does a new one in Australia list for, just curious, our dollars are almost 1:1 right now?

A P4P+ is $3000 with taxes here or $500 less without the screen.
No idea where you live but we are about 0.75 USD at the moment and we generally get fleeced by importers cranking up their margins. Not sure about a P4P+, but a P4P is $2600 over here and spare batteries etc are similarly over priced. Many people are now ignoring bricks and mortar and taking their chances with online purchases.

No idea where you live but we are about 0.75 USD at the moment and we generally get fleeced by importers cranking up their margins. Not sure about a P4P+, but a P4P is $2600 over here and spare batteries etc are similarly over priced. Many people are now ignoring bricks and mortar and taking their chances with online purchases.

Sorry, I live in Canada. Looks like it costs the same there due to the same sort of middle manning we deal with here. I got my refurb from a chain electronics store's online catalogue, I haven't been in hobby store in years but the Canadian online ones were all charging about the same price as I paid.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic