Hospitals and heliports??

Reaction score
What do you guys do? Seems like they are everywhere if I don't fly within 5mi of one I don't think I could ever fly. Also two different apps show different no fly zones.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    770.8 KB · Views: 515
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 516
Do not go for many no fly zones, you will always find differences. I solely depend on DJI go app. I also use b4ufly for advance planning for remote/ unknown places.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Knoxville drone guy
I fly primarily at two locations. One is within five miles of a small airport and one within five miles of a small airport and a hospital with a heliport. I call them before I fly and let them know when and where I will fly. The hospital sends me to the security group who is responsible for the heliport. Stress to them you be below 400 ft AGL and they will likely not have an issue.

I fly primarily at two locations. One is within five miles of a small airport and one within five miles of a small airport and a hospital with a heliport. I call them before I fly and let them know when and where I will fly. The hospital sends me to the security group who is responsible for the heliport. Stress to them you be below 400 ft AGL and they will likely not have an issue.

I live within 3 mi of 4 different heliports should I call each one every time I want to fly around my yard? They are all hospitals

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    172 KB · Views: 487
I cal our local MediVac managing facility before each and every flight session and I call them as soon as I'm back on the ground safely.

Keep in mind as a Commercial Operation you should also be filing NOTAMs before each flying session. If you're flying under a Section 333 Exemption you also have monthly reporting you're required to do (and it's coming up in just a few days).

One key point is that the MediVac managing facility may or may not be at the local hospital to you. I am less than 2 miles from the local hospital but the facility I call is in the next county over. Finding that phone # may not be easy but it could make a HUGE difference. I called and had a meeting with our facility and we determined together what they wanted/needed from me and I wrote our companies P&P around those needs. To date they have called to alert me of MediVac traffic over a dozen times and 2 of those had the heli flying directly over my area around 200'AGL.

When I fly commercially from county property I have several hoops:

• Contact county manager at least 24hrs prior to flight in writing (email)
  • Contact the PD in the city I'm flying in (email)
  • Contact the Sheriff's Office (email)
  • Contact EMS/911 call center (phone call)
  • Call MediVac facility phone call (call them again once done with the mission)
  • File NOTAMs for the flight(s) 48hrs prior to flight phone call or Online Portal

Also all of my "Credentials" are on record at the county courthouse per the County Land Use Ordinance for this county. Without this no county property access is allowed and we are the only entity allowed to fly "Sensitive" county areas due to our background checks etc to work with Law Enforcement.

I cal our local MediVac managing facility before each and every flight session and I call them as soon as I'm back on the ground safely.

Keep in mind as a Commercial Operation you should also be filing NOTAMs before each flying session. If you're flying under a Section 333 Exemption you also have monthly reporting you're required to do (and it's coming up in just a few days).

One key point is that the MediVac managing facility may or may not be at the local hospital to you. I am less than 2 miles from the local hospital but the facility I call is in the next county over. Finding that phone # may not be easy but it could make a HUGE difference. I called and had a meeting with our facility and we determined together what they wanted/needed from me and I wrote our companies P&P around those needs. To date they have called to alert me of MediVac traffic over a dozen times and 2 of those had the heli flying directly over my area around 200'AGL.

When I fly commercially from county property I have several hoops:

• Contact county manager at least 24hrs prior to flight in writing (email)
  • Contact the PD in the city I'm flying in (email)
  • Contact the Sheriff's Office (email)
  • Contact EMS/911 call center (phone call)
  • Call MediVac facility phone call (call them again once done with the mission)
  • File NOTAMs for the flight(s) 48hrs prior to flight phone call or Online Portal

Also all of my "Credentials" are on record at the county courthouse per the County Land Use Ordinance for this county. Without this no county property access is allowed and we are the only entity allowed to fly "Sensitive" county areas due to our background checks etc to work with Law Enforcement.

I'm not talking commercial but knowing about low flying helicopters would definitely be good to know for sure. I'll see what information I can find about who to call thanks!

What do you do when using a school field that is sometimes used by the state's MedeVac choppers? There are no state's MedeVac heliports anywhere near me (only 1 hospital Heliport), so I'm well outside my reporting requirement, however I would really like to let these guys know when I'm flying, as I would just hate to disrupt their efforts in any way.

Do I try and make contact or will I just be bothering people unnecessarily? (I also don't like the idea of having to find a contact for the Maryland State MedeVac)

My understand is most transports by the state's MedeVac do not get transported to the hospital that is within my 5 mile radius requirement.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31