Horrible review - Guy couldn't figure out how to turn on P2V

Reaction score
This Amazon user review makes me sick: http://www.amazon.com/review/RA5COKQZ4G ... deID=&tag=

QUOTE: "My battery doesn’t seem to be working. Turn it on and it immediately turns off making the machine completely unresponsive. I’ve never used it. "

The guy couldn't figure out how to turn on the battery. Apparently he didn't read the instructions or sticker, so didn't know about the long second press of the power button. And instead of looking for answers, he ASSUMED he was hit by the battery problem he'd seen reported before - though of course that was an entirely DIFFERENT issue.

Then he contacts DJI, demands a new battery, and gets upset as they try to send him to the dealer that sold it.

Ugh.. I just don't know what to say. I want to slap him. This really bothers me because I, and others, have enjoyed our Phantoms, and their build quality so much.

Re: Horrible review - Guy couldn't figure out how to turn on

Yeah, that guy is quite an idiot.

I posted a comment on his review and I went in and did my own review, as Amazon had sent me a request to do one.

With morons like this out there, maybe being licensed is not such a crazy idea. If he's too stupid to figure out turning it on, how can we expect him to be able to fly with some modicum of common sense? Are reading manuals and watching instructional videos just for us suckers?

Yes, I saw your comment. It's somehow comforting to know that I'm not the only one bothered by morons like this.

If he ever does manage to get the P2V turned on, next up will be 'my motors don't work!' :eek:.

He seems to be a victim of his own negative expectations, which he formed from reading reviews about the old battery communication issue. *Maybe* if he hadn't seen those reports he wouldn't have jumped to the errant conclusion that his battery was defective.

I don't know how DJI deals with people like this.

And, yes, it is absolutely scary to think of such people piloting anything.

He just responded on Amazon:

"thanks fixed the issue. re-read the instructions. they weren't clear. thanks. customer support still awful though."

LOL .. glad to be of service, now I can sleep at night ;). I reckon that review will be deleted or heavily edited in the next few mins.

dbcch said:
I don't know how DJI deals with people like this.

Ain't just DJI who has to deal with them lol. At the company I work for to pay the bills (in a completely different market than this) we often have to deal with customers like this. Some people just set their expectations based on uninformed or misinformed assumptions, and then want to hold someone...anyone...accountable when those expectations aren't met. We actually track how much people like that cost us (estimated), and it's not a small amount.

I kinda feel sorry for him now, but - well - at least in my case there was even a sticker plastered on the thing, telling people how to turn it on.

I suppose DJI support could have done a bit better, telling him what to do. But it seems whoever he contacted only had the job of routing him to a dealer, and so couldn't or wouldn't get involved. It was obvious to me what the issue was, should have been obvious to them.

Oh well ;p. Another pilot is in the air, as scary as that is.

I will keep an eye out for his new review. I am curious to see what happens next, lol. *My* expectations for him being a successful pilot are pretty low.

And, yea, I can imagine these types of people cost everyone big bucks... all the unnecessary returns, support, lost sales due to misinformed reviews, etc.. ugh

This guy won't even need the IOC switch to lose his orientation and thinks he has a flyaway on his hand...

Too bad these people can't buy a clue with their phantoms. ;P

Alternatively, a bit of user interface design could have eliminated the issue altogether. One small button to test battery, one large one to turn it on.

It is astonishing how much money goes into all sorts of products and how little human interface testing with non-experts is done. Applies to virtually every thing we interact with.

Bunyarra said:
Alternatively, a bit of user interface design could have eliminated the issue altogether. One small button to test battery, one large one to turn it on.

It is astonishing how much money goes into all sorts of products and how little human interface testing with non-experts is done. Applies to virtually every thing we interact with.

Heck, the NAZA is quite brilliant in how much it simplifies 'flight', but it ain't an iPod just yet.

If a person can't be bothered to check the manual to learn of the double-press (or even read the sticker on the battery), then he DESERVES all the flyaways he can get :twisted:

Moreover, double-tap was probably a design choice, as a single tap leaves it much too easy to mis-click to a detrimental result. You could've switched it on accidentally in storage and waste all the battery during transport, or god forbid, something could make a bump to your battery mid-flight and shutdown the whole system.

Bunyarra said:

with respect, I do not agree - two buttons = double the chance of a malfunction

It is of some concern so many people think of the Phantom as a toy and treat it as such. It isn't. It's a flying machine with all the implications that brings. People like this can, and probably will, do serious damage to the image of RC multicopter flying and may cause more restrictions being imposed than we will be happy with.

Yea, it's intentionally a little hard to turn on to make sure the battery isn't accidentally switched on. Two buttons would be absurd and, depending on the design, probably more inclined to accidental power-on.

I'm with the others: If people can't be bothered to read the most simple of instructions, then they definitely should not be piloting a phantom -- these things CAN cause injuries and damage when flown recklessly.

p.s. I forgot, but the instructions to turn on the battery are written right on the side of the battery!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic