Horizon Drift Issue on New Zenmuse H3-2D

Reaction score
I am flying a Zenmuse H3-2D on my Phantom V1.1.1 with the upgrade board. I recently gave my zenmuse(have had it for about 3 months) to a friend who needed one on short notice. He ordered me a replacement and I installed it and have been flying with it for a couple weeks now. I am getting a lot of horizon drift with my new Zenmuse that I never had with the old one. I honestly haven't seen horizon drift this bad with any zenmuse H3-2D I've ever used (owned 3, dealt with way more). It reminds me of the drift I would get with my Tarot T-2D gimbal before you could calibrate.

Can anyone offer any help as to what I can do to fix the problem? I'm hoping I'll be able to do some sort of calibration, as I did with my Tarot gimbals, to fix the issue.

Here is my last flight I did a couple days ago, the issue can clearly be seen at 25-35 seconds and at quite a few other spots as well. Sorry for the long video, I don't usually post full flight videos, but I thought there may be some clues in the video that may help diagnose the horizon drift issue.

Video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2kEEBE6Ssg[/youtube]

Any help is much appreciated!

Your flight starts off out of balance and then gets worse at 25-35 seconds. I've seen this a couple times with mine (got it with my P2). Not pleased about it. Seems that it gets confused as to which way is up and then sorts itself out after a period of time. I can't help but think these gimbals need calibration to keep them level or maybe it's just bad firmware.

I wonder if rocking it back and forth while flying will help reorient it. You have to keep a keen eye on your horizon to see it though.

I received a replacement Zenmuse and after installing it I have found the same problem. I have another Phantom upgrade board I think I'm going to swap out and see if that's the issue. If it doesn't fix it, the only thing left is the actual NAZA unit. It's just so weird that it would stop working in that way. I do notice though that when the zenmuse is plugged in, it seems to be a bit less stable, so I'm hoping there is just something wrong with the upgrade board.

It is more than likely due to the amount of 'Gyro Trust' DJI put into their algorithms.

The higher the gyro trust, the less accelerometers are taken into account. This has the effect of negating horizon drift during yaw but...... if this is set too high it will cause horizon drift over a prolonged time and/or curved maneuvers.

On other gimbals you are able to set this gyro trust yourself and dial in the mount of emphasis given to accelerometers -v gyro.
Consequently one is able to 'set-up' the gimbal for a given situation, whether it be fast flight with tight turns and maneuvers or slow, easy AP type flying.

Unfortunately this level of adjustment is not available on any Zenmuse product that I have seen, the H3-2D being no exception.

The best advice I can offer is;
1. Make sure the Phantom is level for power up and IMU warm up (both for Naza and Zenmuse)
2. Once Zenmuse has leveled allow it to sit there for a few seconds (10-15) before powering up the motors and taking off.
3. During warm up and leveling make absolutely certain the gimbal is not subject to ANY movement.

Hope this helps

I have this same "horizon drift" now but way worse. Everything was working fine until I started reading in to how to slow down the tilt speed, and downloaded the 1.8 firmware upgrade. Ever since, the camera wont come up all the way. At its highest setting, its pointed down maybe 15 degrees instead of level, and when i tilt it all the way down, it actually points behind the P2.

Whenever I turn/yaw, the **** thing does that drift up to probably 30deg then stutters back to level.

I thought I'd update the thread... I replaced the phantom upgrade board and still have the issue. So, that means there are either a bunch of faulty zenmuses or, the naza was faulty. I actually purchased another phantom V1.1.1 and spent yesterday afternoon putting in an upgrade board along with doing the canbus mod and installing an iosd mini. I haven't had a chance to fly to test and see if the horizon issue is still there (it's rainy and windy here on the west coast US), but hopefully we'll have a break tomorrow and I can get it up and test it out.

@tonym206 or @laselvasurf - did either of you have any luck correcting the problem? I'm having the same issue with my zenmuse.

Same thing with me Phantom 2 firmware1.8. When I have it fired up and rotate it on a flat surface the cam tilts 15 degrees then levels out a couple second later. Makes a funky buzz noise when it corrects itself. Wonder if guy using the Zenmuse on a different air frame have the problem?

Been a long time since I logged on here. I did finally get my gimbal fixed. I had to send it back to DJI. It took 4 hours on hold to even speak to someone. They sent me an email with detailed instructions for doing the update, which I had already done, so of course it didnt work. I emailed back that it didnt, and they sent me an RMA. It took a good 8 or 9 weeks to have my gimbal returned and at a cost of about $75 i think. They claimed some cable was loose and that I had my gains wrong. I call BS, but whatever, my gimbal is working again. However, there has been a few incidents now where my gimbal seems to just completely lose power mid-flight. Scary as hell when it happens, but it powered back up shortly after. If it gets to the point of failing often, Im not even going to bother with DJI anymore. At this point, with that and some other issues ive had with my P2, im looking for a reason to sell this thing and upgrade to something else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic