Hoping to find some pilots in Iowa

dsloan said:
Looking for some other multicopter pilots in north iowa.

What part of North Iowa? I'll be in Mason City for a couple of weeks in August (fireworks).

ladykate said:
What part of North Iowa? I'll be in Mason City for a couple of weeks in August (fireworks).

Will you be offering flight lessons while in Iowa?
:D

Buk said:
ladykate said:

Will you be offering flight lessons while in Iowa?

That is in August. You will be an expert by that time... you can help give the lessons.

ladykate said:
That is in August. You will be an expert by that time... you can help give the lessons.

No, no, no...I'm a lifelong learner. Just seeing another Phantom pilot fly would be a lesson, let alone getting answers to all the questions I'd ask.

Besides, I've heard the fireworks display is awesome. Worth the trip alone.

Buk said:
Besides, I've heard the fireworks display is awesome. Worth the trip alone.

Yes, it is. We travel to a different state each year and put on a set of world class displays (usually 6 or 7 display companies and about 2000 hobbyists). Can't fly during the displays, though. After last year when we had a movie company using a P1 to get some shots, our membership asked to not have the running lights on because it detracts from the whole reason for being there (fireworks lights ;-}). Without running lights it is hard to navigate at night.

I'll probably put up mine with the lights taped over at dusk to catch some of the preliminary stuff or competitions. I also can fly the 550 and just switch the lights on when needed.

During the week I will be very busy (I'm on the Board so running it all takes about 20 hours a day) but the week before I'll be out and playing quite a bit. I'm the figure head for news teams and such - so I just hang around and look knowledgeable.

ladykate,

I understand your responsibilities and know our flight paths will not cross. My wife and I got tickets for Wednesday night and we're bringing two friends up from Ames Friday night. We look forward to the shows with great anticipation.

We got front row seats for Friday night. Was that a mistake?

Buk said:
ladykate,

We got front row seats for Friday night. Was that a mistake?

Heck no... unless you have little tykes who will get scared from the noise. You will feel the heat from the Superstring (2 million 3" crackers) and the chest thump from the salutes. Bring ear plugs - especially if you have young people. Our members will be sitting about 100' closer (on the track) and sometimes they get singed clothes but they have all signed waivers. :shock: Everything is done according to National Code (NFPA 1123). The public is well protected by distance and about 30 safety people who monitor any fallout. We don't screw around with public safety but we do like to make sure everyone is awed.

ladykate,

Went to the Wednesday performance. As you said, safety a primo concern. Displays were very nice, some beautiful fireworks. Schedule got screwed up by rain and other circumstances, so missed the Friday night show. Dearly regret that. I'm sure it was awesome. Close proximity to airport would make Phantom flying prohibited (?) or the Guild gets airport shut down, but see why Phantoms not allowed during performances.

No matter what, great experience. Perhaps Wyoming would make a nice trip next year with a Phantom 3 !!

Buk said:
ladykate,

Went to the Wednesday performance. As you said, safety a primo concern. Displays were very nice, some beautiful fireworks. Schedule got screwed up by rain and other circumstances, so missed the Friday night show. Dearly regret that. I'm sure it was awesome. Close proximity to airport would make Phantom flying prohibited (?) or the Guild gets airport shut down, but see why Phantoms not allowed during performances.

No matter what, great experience. Perhaps Wyoming would make a nice trip next year with a Phantom 3 !!

Glad to see you made it!

After planning for over a year and doing all the grunt work the week before, I ended up being sent to the hospital with a sepsis infection. Missed every performance. :cry: The feedback was the Sunday and Friday shows were stellar.

Wyoming is wide open - Mason City is very cramped. The Wyoming event should be awesome - bigger shells, more stuff, great venue.

Proximity to the airport isn't the same for 'drones' and fireworks. There isn't even a category in the FAA rules for us (we don't fall under the HPR rules either). We notify the airport and they usually don't do anything differently. The only place we've felt a need get/give a written notice (NOTAM) was in Indiana where we shoot near a bigger airport and want to protect our contract from official busy bodies saying no at the last second. We actually do shut down the cross runway at that airport except for emergencies. We can shut our show down in less than a minute (usually much less - like 10 seconds) so an emergency landing is cleared almost as soon as the radio notification comes in.

250-2 5-5-15-cropped.jpg
For those on the Western side of Iowa and Eastern Nebraska, we fly quads now at the RC airfield. We also fly fixed wings (and it is a hoot to do both - great videos). The Bellevue Club and the Twin Eagles Club strips are often used (have to be a member of Twin Eagles - have to be an AMA member, too). You can be a guest at the Haworth/Bellevue site. If you want to fly sometime, drop a line. Right now the rain is keeping us grounded. But that will change (to drought, no doubt).

The above shot was taken with a Mobius on a QAV 250 - but we fly DJI and other multi-rotors, too.

Last edited:
Just south of Des Moines, Fly at a fixed wing air club in Knoxville.

Last edited:
I modify and fly phantoms all across Des Moines.(in one trip[emoji41]) as well as do repairs under the business name. FIXT!
Hit me up I'll fly with you or fix it for you
[email protected]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj