Hootoo headset and Phantom advanced

Reaction score
Okay first of all I know this is probably been covered but I can't find it all in one spot so the question is.
I have the Phantom 3 Advanced Galaxy Note 4 and I just bought the hootoo headset and a Bluetooth mouse to go with it. Will I need to buy the phantom 3 Pro HDMI for the controller or will what I have work. Also with the components that I have will I be able to use my Tab 4 on the controller and the headset at the same time?

Thanks to everyone who may respond in advance.

Reactions: Boxer
HooToo is a VR box and you need a phone for it. You will need :

An App on the phone that gets you a VR view. That phone will be housed in hootoo box and will be connected to remote controller.

You don't need HDMI module.

You will be able to use tab 4 or note 4 whatever you connect to RC.

Reactions: jeff2432

An App on the phone that gets you a VR view. That phone will be housed in hootoo box and will be connected to remote controller.

I have been reading a lot since I found this forum and I must say you are a valuable member at the least, thank you sir.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Litchi and Fpv Camera are very popular. Many others are coming up. It's entirely your choice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B018JZQWIQ?psc=1
I may be missing something but is there a reason a VR headset/goggles could not be mounted to the RC much the same as any monitor is mounted to the RC. The head straps could be removed and the pilot would hold the RC/goggles up to the eyes only when needed and would fly LOS the rest of the time.

stretching the point of LOS a bit but some apps allow the camera on the back of phone to see whats happening on the display, so you are seeing LOS but through your phone.

The basic reasons why one is opting for VR headset/ Goggles are:
1. Fields are too bright and its difficult to view on phone and tablet at sites even with big shades.
2. One likes to have an immersive experience. For that one should not see anything else except what camera is seeing. To achieve this, you need to mount Goggles closer to your eyes and cover the open areas.
3. VR is designed basically to produce 3D effects but as we have only one camera to get video streaming, nothing much can be done. There are apps to create two images from one but still far away form 3D. Still something is better than nothing.

"To achieve this, you need to mount Goggles closer to your eyes and cover the open areas"

The molded eye piece would be placed against the forehead to keep out any ambient light just the same as if it was held there by the straps. The advantage would be that, since it is mounted to the RC, it could be quickly pulled away for LOS when necessary. (when panic sets in)
I understand that when the VR goggles are used as normally intended for viewing movies etc a person would want the straps holding the goggles in place for hands free operation. With the goggles mounted to the RC, however, the goggles would be immediately available for use. I'm assuming that head movements would not be used for controlling the gimbal.

Last edited:
This is what seems to work for me. The headpiece from a VR goggle (with no lens) slips over the top end of the box as shown. I'm far sighted so mounted the frame only from a pair of reading glasses inside the goggle headpiece. The box is constructed of hot-glued 3/16" foamboard. I suppose a dark colored interior would be more appropriate but the white interior seems to work fine. I'm able to see the 7" tablet screen in bright sunlight at any angle just as if it was indoors. I see this as the best of VR and LOS flying as one can fly LOS to get to the target and then zero in on the target with the hood.
The white box has a hinged door on the underside that pushes up out of the way when selecting menu items on the tablet and then drops back closed for viewing. I played with these cheap VR goggles before removing the headstraps and disassembling them for this project and don't believe I would care for true VR flying.

Attachments

• VIP-GOGGLES-1.jpg
    VIP-GOGGLES-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 368
This is what seems to work for me. The headpiece from a VR goggle (with no lens) slips over the top end of the box as shown. I'm far sighted so mounted the frame only from a pair of reading glasses inside the goggle headpiece. The box is constructed of hot-glued 3/16" foamboard. I suppose a dark colored interior would be more appropriate but the white interior seems to work fine. I'm able to see the 7" tablet screen in bright sunlight at any angle just as if it was indoors. I see this as the best of VR and LOS flying as one can fly LOS to get to the target and then zero in on the target with the hood.
The white box has a hinged door on the underside that pushes up out of the way when selecting menu items on the tablet and then drops back closed for viewing. I played with these cheap VR goggles before removing the headstraps and disassembling them for this project and don't believe I would care for true VR flying.
Great efforts but too unwieldy for me.

I agree and that begs the question: What would be required in the way of optics to shorten the length of the box? The focal length of the reading glasses dictates the distance of the headpiece to the tablet to get focus. Would there be a simple lens arrangement to allow making the total length in the area of four inches or so similar to the length of the stock VR goggles?

I am not optics expect to comment but see what Mybud, iWear, Glymph have done.

Okay first of all I know this is probably been covered but I can't find it all in one spot so the question is.
I have the Phantom 3 Advanced Galaxy Note 4 and I just bought the hootoo headset and a Bluetooth mouse to go with it. Will I need to buy the phantom 3 Pro HDMI for the controller or will what I have work. Also with the components that I have will I be able to use my Tab 4 on the controller and the headset at the same time?

Thanks to everyone who may respond in advance.

Question for you... can you tell me where you bought the bluetooth mouse for the HooToo headset? Thanks for your help.

Actually, I have a Tab 4 and it is too big for the HooToo VR goggles. It is best to use a cell phone and also you have to have either Litchi or another app that supports FPV goggles. DJI Go does not support VR goggles with dual vision. Basically the cell or tablet you are using will have to fit inside the HooToo VR goggles. I have a Tab 4 and also the Hootoo VR goggles. It does not fit inside the HooToo. Good luck.

Actually, I have a Tab 4 and it is too big for the HooToo VR goggles. It is best to use a cell phone and also you have to have either Litchi or another app that supports FPV goggles. DJI Go does not support VR goggles with dual vision. Basically the cell or tablet you are using will have to fit inside the HooToo VR goggles. I have a Tab 4 and also the Hootoo VR goggles. It does not fit inside the HooToo. Good luck.
You are right. I have moved away from VR goggles to cdmi goggles.

Hmmm, can you give me some info on your cdmi goggles? Haven't heard much about those. Thanks.
Sorry, I won't. :) It was a typo. My bad habit, don't care to see what I typed.

I have the hootoo. They are great. No HDMI needed. Fpv calmer for dji is optimal app. Litchi it you have android device.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic