Home Point Theoretical question

Reaction score
So, after I do a compass calibration and get ready to fly after receiving the blinking green lights, when does the 'home point' get set? I ask because on my initial flight I did the 'compass dance' at the work table outdoors about 50 feet from where I set her down and launched. And after thinking about what would happen if I had to trigger RTH, (Failsafe) would she come back to the table where I did the compass calibration or to the spot where I had lifted off from???

That information is in the manual, that not many people seem to even be browsing. :?:

The fast blinking Green = Home point recorded, so it's coming back to the spot where that happens. You should also calibrate your compass from where you're taking off, not calibrate it and then move to some other location.

Not to be too nit-picky...(for a P2 [non-vision] in Naza Mode)

The first set of rapid green flashes indicates the heading or forward facing direction has been recorded/stored/etc. (for Course lock).

The second set of rapidly green flashing lights indicates GPS has acquired 6 or more satellites.

Sometimes the two sets of rapid flashing green can happen somewhat simultaneously and you get a single extended period of rapid green flashes.
(In this case I usually start over to be sure)

Now once you start the motors (and you should ALWAYS wait for two sets of green flasing sequences before doing so) the Home Lock position is saved/recorded/etc.

Never had a fly-away or any unexpected operation in 75+ flights following this method.

Compass calibration frequency and requirement is a debate-able topic.

I do not calibrate unless I have added, moved, or removed hardware on or within my P2.

TEHO - YMMV ;)

Sorry should have posted in PTV+ anyway I have READ it several times just trying to get practical answers. So next time I'll do thecalibration dance and get the home lock from exactly my launch point. Makes sense thanks

Sorry reread your post. What do you mean by two sets of green? How do you trll

promocop said:
Sorry reread your post. What do you mean by two sets of green? How do you trll

Again a P2nv in Naza mode...

For me in S. Fla. I get the first set of rapid greens at about 30 sec. after power up (course lock heading).

The second set is another 15-25 secs after that (GPS 6+ sats.).

If I fly back to back batts. I beileve the GPS board's back-up super cap(acitor) aids the GPS to allow a 'warm' start (faster acquisition) and it can get 6+ sats. sooner resulting in a prolonged green flash indicating both heading and GPS are essentiall 'ready'.

This is unnerving as I want to see two distinct sets of rapid greens.

@ promocop - No offense intended. Rapid Green flashes = Ready to Fly in Phantom 2 Mode or NAZA-M (with IOC off, see below) and that's where she will return, within reason, no obstructions and enough battery left that is. ;)

@ N017RW - You're getting 2 sets of Green flashing in NAZA-M because your IOC is enabled. No IOC means no Green flashing for the Forward Direction recording, just one set of flashing for Home Point saved after 6+ Sats are locked.

RDCF550 said:
@ promocop - No offense intended. Rapid Green flashes = Ready to Fly in Phantom 2 Mode or NAZA-M (with IOC off, see below) and that's where she will return, within reason, no obstructions and enough battery left that is. ;)

@ N017RW - You're getting 2 sets of Green flashing in NAZA-M because your IOC is enabled. No IOC means no Green flashing for the Forward Direction recording, just one set of flashing for Home Point saved after 6+ Sats are locked.

With all do respect I disagree.
Please provide documentation.

Turn you IOC off (unchecked in the assistant) and take your P2nv NAZA-M outside, you'll get some pretty good documentation as well as only 1 set of Green flashing after 6+ Sats. ;)

P2nv in NAZA-M with IOC disabled you will only get 1 set of rapid Green flashes, because there is no need to record the Forward Direction for the IOC. With IOC enabled, then you get the Forward Direction flashing as well as the flashing for Home Lock after 6+ Sats.

N017RW said:
Not to be too nit-picky...(for a P2 [non-vision] in Naza Mode)

The first set of rapid green flashes indicates the heading or forward facing direction has been recorded/stored/etc. (for Course lock).

The second set of rapidly green flashing lights indicates GPS has acquired 6 or more satellites.

Sometimes the two sets of rapid flashing green can happen somewhat simultaneously and you get a single extended period of rapid green flashes.
(In this case I usually start over to be sure)

So far, virtually always for me. I was flying with someone else (not simultaneously... but one after the other, alternating copter and remote entirely off while other pilot flying), and his went from the "yellow" to "Course lock" almost immediately, and then proceeded as you said, over a few more seconds. This happened each of the three times I have seen him fly - I don't know if it ALWAYS happens this way for him or not.

Mine always seems to "take forever" for the first set of greens... but runs through all of them at once, giving, as you noted, the appearance of one long set of quickly flashing greens. Every time. Weird.

We both launched from the exact same spot.

This is getting confusing! Anyway, in the real world, how close will she return utilizing Failsafe (RTH) within 10 ft.?

Return home=3feet. and a smile.

Yes, you can expect it to return within that distance or so, all things working correctly that is.

To sum this whole rapid Green flashing LED thing up..

Phantom Mode = Only 1 set of rapid Green flashing. Means 6+ Satellites and Home Position is set, and that's where it will return to, or there abouts.

NAZA-M Mode, with IOC disabled (IOC unchecked in DJI assistant) = Only 1 set of rapid flashing Green lights. Same as Phantom Mode, means 6+ Satellites and Home Position set.

NAZA-M Mode, with IOC enabled (IOC checked in DJI assistant) = You'll get 2 sets of rapid flashing Green lights. One means Forward Position has been recorded for the IOC, then the other means 6+ Satellites and Home Position set.

Actually, quite clear and I appreciate it.

What I would REALLY like to see is an indicator on the iOSD that home is locked.

Question, if I take off and move a few yards from home and I see a value in the "D" (Distance from Home) in the iOSD, does that pretty well mean my home point is safe?

promocop said:
Sorry should have posted in PTV+ anyway I have READ it several times just trying to get practical answers. So next time I'll do thecalibration dance and get the home lock from exactly my launch point. Makes sense thanks

Calibration dance will calibrate the magnetic compass. It has no effect on home location, which is based on GPS.

Right So while we are at it..why would you disable IOC in NAZA mode? Whats the point

makes sense when my buddy is filming he uses CL to fly a nice smooth pattern

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj