Home point question...again

Reaction score
I have read in bits and pieces in different posts about how the Phantom saves home point. My question is...does the Phantom remember the last home point saved even when you power down the phantom? Let's say I flew yesterday at a spot and had a hp saved. Turn off and go home. Today I'm at a different spot and don't get a good home point saved. Does it remember yesterdays hp? I thought when the Phantom is shut down, it remembers nothing. If it does remember,,is it with all Phantoms and all versions? If it does remember a previous hp and now flying in a different area, it enters failsafe, does it try to return to some previous area rather than where you are now. If so, this may explain some things about people losing their quads.
I know it's easy to check if IOC is selected and after takeoff and a bit out, put S2 down to HL and pull back on right stick. But...not everyone has IOC set up so they couldnt do this check.

Monte55 said:
I have read in bits and pieces in different posts about how the Phantom saves home point. My question is...does the Phantom remember the last home point saved even when you power down the phantom? Let's say I flew yesterday at a spot and had a hp saved. Turn off and go home. Today I'm at a different spot and don't get a good home point saved. Does it remember yesterdays hp? I thought when the Phantom is shut down, it remembers nothing. If it does remember,,is it with all Phantoms and all versions? If it does remember a previous hp and now flying in a different area, it enters failsafe, does it try to return to some previous area rather than where you are now. If so, this may explain some things about people losing their quads.
I know it's easy to check if IOC is selected and after takeoff and a bit out, put S2 down to HL and pull back on right stick. But...not everyone has IOC set up so they couldnt do this check.

No it doesn't remember the previous homepoint. I would imagine (though I don't know for certain) that if it went into fail safe mode without a home point it would just try to land wherever it is.

I think it was in the last day or so that someone stated it remembered last hp if a new one was not recorded but they were not real clear if if was after power down or what. I wouldn't think it would. So I had to ask. Thanks for reply. To me it's a moot point. You should always make sure you get a good gps fix if you want failsafe and HL to work

how to set a home point better each flight and be sure it has encounter it before flying ? ( failsafe is to return auto to this homeport is that right?)

dirkclod said:
I always after powering up flip my s1 till I get solid light then just rotate it 360 and when green lights come on I'm good and has always worked as I do check it each time I go up before I start off on runs.

Not sure I understand your statement. Sounds like you're talking about half of a compass calibration. Please elaborate.

That is part of the compass calibration. After you do the horz 360 and go from yellow to green, you have to do the vertical 360 nose down to get the slow flashing green. That has nothing to do with home point being recorded. Are we misunderstanding each other?

dirkclod said:
yes . I have a lazy Suzy I start from and I just turn it slow 1 time and get green then go. Might not be setting HP but thought it was and have been doing it like that for 6 months . am I mistaken ?

Either you are or I am, bro!

Ok...this is what I understand. I havea Phantom 1 but it shouldn't make any difference. When you first power up the quad, it warms up while looking for satellites while gyros are settling in. If IOC is selected in assistant software, you will get green flashes with some red.The less red flashes, the more satellites it has found. Expect two sets of long quick green flashes. First set indicates course lock is aquired/stored...then more green flash with red perhaps. Second set of long quick green flashes indicates it has a gps fix for home point. They will not be locked in til motors are started. After two sets of quick green flashes you may want to do the compass calibration. Flip S1 switch about 5 or six times until you get solid yellow light. Hold level and turn doing a 360 and until light goes from yellow to solid green. Now hold nose down and turn again at least 360 until light is doing slow steady blink. You now have a home point and compass calibration. When you first power up quad, think about the direction you want it facing so if you use course lock in your flight, you'll know what to expect. I hope I said all of this correctly. I'm on a tablet

I didn't understand all of that. I have the P1 on ver 4.00. But the acquiring of satellites and compass calibration I'm sure is the same.

dirkclod said:
You did. The 360 you talking about I understand as you doing a full compass calibration . I only will do those after I have had to go into assistant and change something. What I have been doing is I go out and set quad on lazy suzy and after I power up the tx and extender I power up quad. I then flip my S1 switch up and down till I see solid yellow light then I turn the quad about 1 spin till light goes green. Then I walk over and open app and get card reformatted and when I see enough sats I jump it up and go out and up to my RTH height and then try RTH and if it looks good which so far it has always I do a few moe checks then off I go. I have been out several thousand feet and just hit RTH till I see it then take back over testing and has always done right Now maybe I have been just doing it wrong that way and it would have set HP by just sitting there but I started doing it that way when I had the FC40 and just have never changed . Old habits are hard to change if not having issues . wrong ?

I dont recognise that, but if it works for you it works for you.

My own procedure is to do the compass dance only on the rare occaisions when I move around the country.

Before each flight :
Place quad in direction I want to fly
Turn on Tx and quad and FPV
Wait for IOC green flashes (after about 30s)
Wait for Home point green flashes
Check FPV for plenty of satellites
Take off to about 10 feet
Do basic checks for Home Lock to confirm Home Point
Commence mission....

To confirm home point I fly about 20m out at about 45 degrees to take off point, point the quad at the landing point, switch to home lock and pull back on the RH stick. It should fly towards to take off point.

Then to confirm I have a good chance of an accurate home point I do the same but this time at roughly 135 degrees (i.e. 90 degrees further round) from the take off point.

If both home locks work from there I assume home point is good.

thanks guys, very instructive.

>Failsafe is link to the HP ?
if something wrong happen it goes back to HP ( in case not enough batterie get down slowly vertically )

>so to set home point you have to toggle s1 up and down then do a calibration ?

Erwan said:
Very instructive - Except is completely wrong.

What is instructive is to refer to the Manual occasionally rather than depending on solely confusing (and possibly incorrect) forum posts for important points.
Here's what the manual says ...
i-k4bSKfq-L.jpg

So it's S2 for setting home point

dirkclod said:
You did. The 360 you talking about I understand as you doing a full compass calibration . I only will do those after I have had to go into assistant and change something. What I have been doing is I go out and set quad on lazy suzy and after I power up the tx and extender I power up quad. I then flip my S1 switch up and down till I see solid yellow light then I turn the quad about 1 spin till light goes green. Then I walk over and open app and get card reformatted and when I see enough sats I jump it up and go out and up to my RTH height and then try RTH and if it looks good which so far it has always I do a few moe checks then off I go. I have been out several thousand feet and just hit RTH till I see it then take back over testing and has always done right Now maybe I have been just doing it wrong that way and it would have set HP by just sitting there but I started doing it that way when I had the FC40 and just have never changed . Old habits are hard to change if not having issues . wrong ?

Holy crap!

That is priceless. Smart folks will not follow your lead.

dirkclod said:
:roll: you back again .

Just offering succinct advice to folks that may be swayed by the silliness that you posted in this thread.

Really- that crap is not helpful and shows a lack of understanding that should embarrassing for you.

Meta4 said:
Erwan said:

What is instructive is to refer to the Manual occasionally rather than depending on solely confusing (and possibly incorrect) forum posts for important points.
i-k4bSKfq-L.jpg

:D this is definitely instructive... :geek:

Meta4 said:
Erwan said:

i-k4bSKfq-L.jpg

Oh dear. I wonder where I got my info from.
What I have written down is :
To reset Course Lock, Move S2 from Position 1(Off) to Position 2 (CL) 5-8 times, and leave in CL for a few seconds until green lights flash on rear arms.

To reset Home Point, Move S2 from Position 2 (CL) to Position 3 (HL) 5-8 times, and leave in HL for a few seconds until green lights flash on rear arms.

Am I talking rubbish ?
Not sure I have even tried this.

Also see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9GAvKuarr0

EDIT : I think my version may be with IOC enabled, and the paste above from the manual may be with IOC disabled.

Monte55 said:
Ok. That's correct and how I confirm home lock. We are on the same page then.
Phew :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4