Home made lightweight rucksack/bag - for phantom vision

Reaction score
Hi
I've been lurking and learning on here and so I thought I should share my little creation in case someone is in need of something similar.
My PV is a tool for my urban exploration and so carrying my gear has to be lightweight and portable and easily wearable. I also carry around a DSLR with lenses. I tried one of these hard cases and these just don't do it. Cumbersome, huge and really heavy. Plus no room for the other camera gear.
I bought a cheap rucksack - the right size and some of this pick and pluck foam and kitted it all out to fit all my gear.
It doesn't give 100% protection but it is very practical for my purpose and is better than the carrier bag I was using!
Its also more discreet, these heavy cases obviously contain expensive items, and I certainly don't want to be attracting that sort of attention in the pits I visit. Also, I like to keep my gear with me as I walk along flying, this way it stays on my back.
The outer straps are perfect for attaching a tripod for carriage.
It cost about £50 in total.
You can see the kind of places I work on my webpage. The most recent item contains a couple of aerial shots that compliment the normal photography-
http://www.alanstarck.com/alanstarckgal ... llery.html

Thought I'd share

I've been studying the range extending thread. Its interesting that the repeater doesn't really need to be on the controller. so my next project is to put a range extended repeater in that back outer pocket of the rucksack. I can't see why it couldn't be used from within the rucksack, with rucksack pointing it towards the phantom. Again more discreet and compact than these tripod setups.

A

Attachments

• 20140322_134837.jpg
    20140322_134837.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 612
  • 20140322_134904.jpg
    20140322_134904.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 670
  • 20140322_134923.jpg
    20140322_134923.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 651
I like the look of that sack- when you're packing the phantom in, wouldn't it be easier to remove or fold the legs? I haven't looked into that angle much, but it would make packing a lot easier!

Let us know how the set up works out...
;)

Cheaper than the new DJI one anyway :) i wondered when someone was going to do this, i"d been contemplating modifying the Duratool box with straps for all my gear, but its on the heavy side to say the least, and not enough space for my Camera gear as well as Quad etc

Small world this Urbex one ;)

It"s Something i"m also wanting to do & combine FPV together with my Photography side of things :cool:

Ian

coloradosky said:
I like the look of that sack- when you're packing the phantom in, wouldn't it be easier to remove or fold the legs? I haven't looked into that angle much, but it would make packing a lot easier!

Let us know how the set up works out...
;)

It would mean unscrewing the legs as far as i can see. not good for covert recce. I would have liked to kept the blades on for super speed unleashing but not possible. is there a foldable replacement option?
i have taken it out several times and it works a treat, just lifts straight out. The bag has taken knocks etc from girders and doors and all is fine. It wouldn't cope with a very high drop though.

BALDYIAN said:
Small world this Urbex one ;)
Where are you then? Uk? Might I know you as a different name elsewhere? :)

Nice build. I'm going mimick exactly this. PV2 and my D5000 in one bag? Awesome.

I have found the time you spend waiting on a sat lock is plenty to spin on the props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd