Home made antenna booster

Reaction score
Wonder how much more range I will get? Made this out of air condtioner caps and 2 cd's
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

it should work nice job! better than buying a similar accessory

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

no and the inside walls of the caps might help to channel the frequency better

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why do you think it would give boost to the signals? Video above says it increased the range. I'm unable to understand the theory behind it. Will some one give insight into its working?

Last edited:
Wonder how much more range I will get? Made this out of air condtioner caps and 2 cd's View attachment 48528 View attachment 48529 View attachment 48530 View attachment 48531 View attachment 48532

Regrettably, I believe that the extra boost you get from that configuration will be absolutely zero.
Antenna boosters rely on the reflective shield redirecting all radio signals onto the actual antenna itself, irrespective of which angle the signal hits that shield. In order to do this, the shield has to be a perfect parabolic shape at exactly the right distance behind the antenna rod. Your reflector is flat so any reflection of signals onto the antenna will be close to zero.. I believe that any perceived improvement will be just imaginary.

Hope it won't reflect sun into others eyes.

Reactions: NRJ
I will test tomorrow and report back
One reading will not suffice. Carry out tests at least three times.

Test 1 with no Ext antenna
Test 2 with Ext antenna

Test 3 with no Ext antenna
Test 4 with Ext antenna

Test 5 with no Ext antenna
Test 6 with Ext antenna

Only works if it is a DVD-R. Just kidding. Anything works. I bought a $12 pair of windsurfers and they honestly worked as good or better than my conversions to wifi antennas. It is now my belief that unless you plan on adding amplifiers don't bother changing antennas, just add reflectors like these or the cheap windsurfer parabolic antenna focusers.

41UvHcr9zhL._AA160_AA165_.jpg
I have these antenna's and it helps a little, but when turning, it still loses the signal. Then I have to wait until I think I have fully turned around and am heading back and then my signal is back. Not really to much help. So, I hope your configuration works, but as the other person said, it has to grab the signal and direct it directly to the actual antenna. Let us know your results. Happy flying!

Just a thought, but the material used in CD's / DVD's absorb energy. So.....

Think of the radio wave as a light beam. In this design, if you point it perfectly, you get no improvement, because the antenna itself is blocking it's own reflection, and the other reflections are being directed to the left and right. Best case with this design is to point the controller slightly off center. Then you could perhaps come close to doubling the signal strength, which would add roughly 50% range. But every time you point it perfectly straight on, you suddenly lose half your signal strength. That is one reason why the design doesn't make sense.

The parabolic is better because you don't lose signal strength when pointing it directly.

Next we have the polarity. You want the linear antennas as close to parallel as possible. And that's impossible with this design. You might get one but then not the other.

So yeah, the classic windsurfer with the parabolic reflector works. This design is flawed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31