Home Lock vs Fail Safe, which one to use ?

AAC

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on HL and Fail Safe under Naza mode. When I found something wrong in flying my PV2+, I can enable Fail Safe mode on S1 or HL on S2 but what's the difference between two commands ?
Which one will auto landing and turned off motor ?

Home lock is used on the S2 switch and fail safe is on the S1 switch. The one you want is Fail safe on the right toggle(S1). You can download a naza manual from dji website under expert called naza M v2.

Fail safe flies home by itself.

Home lock backs the quad back to home point by pulling down on the right stick regardless of the direction the quad is pointing. So you still have control.

Homelock works great if you lose visual and just want to back it up to where you can see it.

rrmccabe said:
Fail safe flies home.

Home lock backs the quad back to home point by pulling down on the right stick regardless of the direction the quad is pointing.

Thats not true ( partially i mean ).
Homelock moves the quad in any direction you move the right stick to, regardless of the direction the bird is facing. And it goes into Course lock ones the 10m circular boundary is hit by the bird around Homepoint. Even if the switch is into HL it will continue in CL after hitting that boundary.
If you move the right stick left or right it moves accordingly, same as front backwards. To answer a question you must include the whole picture.

Homelock and Failsafe means that you must have GPS lock. I case you haven't got that what are you going to do ?
GPS lock can be a issue and is likely the cause of many flyaways because the pilot doesn't know what to do.
Get acquainted with ATTI mode. Thats the real saver

After reading your advice, my understanding is, with 6+ GPS signal connection, FS will bring it back, landing and turn off motor. HL will call it back to 10 m from controller and changed to CL, it will not land automatically, am I correct ?
Therefore, if I don't need to regain control, simply FS mode is the best option for me if found something unusual, right ?

ToThePoint said:
Thats not true ( partially i mean ).
Agreed.

I was stating the "common" use since the OP was talking about bring it home.

Aac the bird never knows where TX is. It always relies on GPS to get back home.

AAC said:
After reading your advice, my understanding is, with 6+ GPS signal connection, FS will bring it back, landing and turn off motor. HL will call it back to 10 m from controller and changed to CL, it will not land automatically, am I correct ?
Therefore, if I don't need to regain control, simply FS mode is the best option for me if found something unusual, right ?
Not exactly. You're right about fs. But there's nothing automatic about hl. Doesn't "call it back". You still have full control. But in hl forward is away, left is left, right is right, and back is toward the home point no matter what the orientation of the quad. Left and right also maintain a constant radius or distance from the home point, unless you apply some forward or back. So you could in effect fly in a circle around the home point.

Ive yet to try HL but have used failsafe a few times. I think generally you would want to have sight of the bird or at least know what area its in before activating HL. Where as FS the bird will turn and come back to your home point.

Brettly HL actually works very well if you don't have sight of bird. Its not a lot different than failsafe as it follow the same path when you pull back on the right stick. You just have control of speed coming back (how far you pull back/down ) on right stick as well as elevation.

I really suggest everyone goes out in an open area and sends the drone out in all directions from them, activates HL and pulls back on the right stick to see what happens. Course as mentioned above you can use all positions of right stick but the main purpose for me is to come back closer to home point.

HL can and will save your butt if you lose site of bird. Just make sure you have enough elevation, activate HL and pull back on right stick.

AAC said:

HL only works up to 10m from Homepoint, that has nothing to do with the controller !
If something unusual happen the first thing to do is set the system in ATTI mode, forget failsafe and homelock or lose the bird.
If something unusual happens then you need to gain control !

ToThePoint said:
HL only works up to 10m from Homepoint,

Actually, I think you mean it only works beyond 10 meters.

I guess it depends on what you call unusual? ..if the bird starts to get a mind of its own and your not in control..then yes, the first thing you do is switch to atti mode..that will give back control.

If you have < 5-6 sats and having problems with GPS signal then that'd be your choice. But first you should familiarize yourself with ATTI flying and test it yourself.

rrmccabe said:
ToThePoint said:
HL only works up to 10m from Homepoint,

Actually, I think you mean it only works beyond 10 meters.

Actually its the same, and i give in. Yes your right, happy ?
It doesn't work within a 10 radius from home point, and now happy ?

Just wanted to make sure they knew you had to be further away than 10 meters for it to work.

I thought you meant that but it was just hard to tell.

Brettly said:
But first you should familiarize yourself with ATTI flying and test it yourself.

Good advice. I think a lot of pilots are unwilling to shut off GPS and learn.

I personally want to know what to expect before I NEED it :)

Brettly said:
I guess it depends on what you call unusual? ..if the bird starts to get a mind of its own and your not in control..then yes, the first thing you do is switch to atti mode..that will give back control.

If you have < 5-6 sats and having problems with GPS signal then that'd be your choice. But first you should familiarize yourself with ATTI flying and test it yourself.

What i already mentioned. If everything goes well failsafe/homelock is a option and fun to play with.
Its my understanding that by definition " unusual " means, something/anything out of the normal behavior. Its also based on intuition and can't be defined with worths.
So when all is normal HL and FS are options, when its out of the regular behavior then these are no options @ all.
As i have written before he has to practice ATTI mode, thats the real escape from trouble in paradise.

When using H/L on S2 switch out of line of sight, make dang sure you S1 is up in GPS (if you have switched to NAZA mode in firmware) If in ATTI on S1 it just goes backwards like normal (not back to home location)

ToThePoint said:
AAC said:

HL only works up to 10m from Homepoint, that has nothing to do with the controller !
If something unusual happen the first thing to do is set the system in ATTI mode, forget failsafe and homelock or lose the bird.
If something unusual happens then you need to gain control !

Agree and I also disagree. If you lose sight of the quad my suggestion is to first use homelock and then watch your distance. If in fact the distance is reducing then you know the quad is returning to you and you will eventually require visual site. If you do not see the distance reducing then look at your radar and put it in ATTI mode and fly it back until you see it.

The problem with ATTI mode is if you have any wind and you're not flying it back toward you then you are continuously drifting away from you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl