Home lock or Course Lock

Reaction score
Just curious as to which one most flyers prefer ...
I am going to do my first flight this weekend and wonder which one ends up being the default. I can see the benefits to both but without any flight time, I would think home lock would be easier to navigate... :roll:

Both serve their purpose, but if you took a poll, you'll find that very few people really use either too much.
I've heard a few people like using Course Lock so they can fly perpendicular to a path or beach.

I've never really heard of anyone really using Home Lock for filming purposes, unless you really do like flying in circles around your take-off location.

*However* for people who fly further away and line-of-sight, Home Lock can be quite beneficial if you lose orientation, as it makes it really was to bring the Phantom back to home in such situations. (I've used it a few times myself)

Home lock has saved my butt many times. The phantom get small real fast and it's real easy to lose orientation with. With home lock just pull the stick back till you can see it.

Mori55 said:
Home lock has saved my butt many times. The phantom get small real fast and it's real easy to lose orientation with. With home lock just pull the stick back till you can see it.

When switching between normal, course or home should you stop motion of the drone? When using "home" the pv will come home regardless of nose direction. If I switch it to normal from home while still pulling down on the slider what would happen?

Learning to use both functions can aid in filming. I've been able to get some pretty cool panning shots without having to worry about the orientation of the Phantom. For example, flying around an object in the center while filming it.

Home lock is useful if you're not flying FPV and lose orientation.

However, I've observed some odd behaviour with Home Lock when there have only been 6 or 7 satellites acquired via GPS - just a warning.

Looks like there is some confusion of terms here.

Home lock is something that the Phantom does automaticity after it is acquired the signal of more than 5 satellites.

In theIntelligent Orientation Control, Corse Lock is a mode that you select with with the S1 switch in the middle position.

This youtube video explains it pretty well http://youtu.be/YyMIwvmcnDE

KG4MXV said:
Looks like there is some confusion of terms here.

Home lock is something that the Phantom does automaticity after it is acquired the signal of more than 5 satellites.

In theIntelligent Orientation Control, Corse Lock is a mode that you select with with the S1 switch in the middle position.

This youtube video explains it pretty well http://youtu.be/YyMIwvmcnDE

Home lock is not something that happens automatically. You're confusing that with the Phantom locking in a home location. Home lock places your home location at the center of a circle, with the Phantom at the end of a radius. When in home lock mode, pulling the stick towards you will always bring the Phantom back towards your home location, no matter the orientation of the aircraft.

Putting the Phantom in home lock requires putting the S2 switch in the bottom position. Course lock is acquired by putting the S2 switch in the center position... This is all assuming you have IOC enabled...

Here's an excellent tutorial on the subject, done by our own Pull_Up... Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P6SSj0qTcM

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20