Home lock issues

Reaction score
So I had three great flights. Tried RTH mode perfect. Tried Atti mode all good THEN I tried home lock. Issues. It started to come back to me then did a few left right left wobbles and started to fly in opposite direction! I switched it off continued to fly and tried three more times. Same result. Yes. My SW and FW is all up to date batts charged. Thoughts?

My thought is your home point wasn't where you thought it was. That behavior is a reasonable description of what happens when I fly over the home point in HL mode.

Prylar Bek said:
It started to come back to me then did a few left right left wobbles and started to fly in opposite direction!
How close was it to the home point when it switched direction? I don't know the exact distance, but when it's close, it'll auto switch from home lock to course lock.

When in HL and the Phantom gets within about 60' from its home position it will switch to CL automatically. This means that when you are pulling back on the control stick in HL, it will suddenly go to CL at 60' from home so it will go backwards from where it was facing when it took off. This can be a real problem if you have structures or trees around your home position!

At least 200 feet away and 10 feet up. Maybe I don't understand how its supposed to work then. Why would it not come all the way hone like in RTH?

Everything has its purpose I guess. This feature is most useful if you get into a scenario where you're not sure which way the Phantom is facing and you want to bring it back toward you. For example, if you lose Wi-Fi but not the remote controller connection, you can bring the Phantom back to you to the point where the Wi-Fi picks up again and you can see where it's heading.

Ok, I'm getting this, sort of. I understand and have experimenting with al the modes, include course lock. In wait other scanario would you use HL?

I don't use HL for anything. The above case is the only case where I think it would really be useful. In all other cases, I prefer my Phantom to fly in the direction it's pointing.

Prylar Bek said:
Ok, I'm getting this, sort of. I understand and have experimenting with al the modes, include course lock. In wait other scanario would you use HL?

You can bring the Phantom back towards you while taking a video or still shots facing any direction including doing 360 degree panorama circles since it will stay on course and not be affected by the "face" direction. Just one other use.

Prylar Bek said:
At least 200 feet away and 10 feet up. Maybe I don't understand how its supposed to work then. Why would it not come all the way hone like in RTH?
Just because it is not designed that way. Probebly they designed it to switch out of home lock when with10 metres out of safety reasons; prefenting you fly yourself in the face by keeping pooling the right stick.[emoji6]

msinger said:
Everything has its purpose I guess. This feature is most useful if you get into a scenario where you're not sure which way the Phantom is facing and you want to bring it back toward you. For example, if you lose Wi-Fi but not the remote controller connection, you can bring the Phantom back to you to the point where the Wi-Fi picks up again and you can see where it's heading.
Agree. An other way this mode can be usefull if you like to take a video recording from an other angle than you flyth direction. That is (as CL also is) the main design-purpuse of this mode (and the CL mode). Don't forget this bird is primarilary design as areal video utility, not as much as a pure flying tool.

OK, so I got all that But any idea why she was moving L-R-L on me like a drunken sailor?

Here is a quiz for all you HL/CL experts. This happened to me so I know the answer. You take off with stored course direction A. You fly in direction A to 100m distance. You switch to HL. Pull back on stick until the bird flies over your head in direction -A. Fly out 100m again in direction -A. Reselect HL. Pull back on the stick and keep it pulled back bringing it towards home again.

Quiz Question: What does the bird do when you reach 10m from home point?

Prylar Bek said:
OK, so I got all that But any idea why she was moving L-R-L on me like a drunken sailor?
Might have to do with the the possibility the angle of the CL-course (which depend on the orientation of the bird and you stivk handelin at the moment) compared to the 10 metres radius curve around homepoint, was that time ca 90 degrees.

BlackTracer said:
Here is a quiz for all you HL/CL experts. This happened to me so I know the answer. You take off with stored course direction A. You fly in direction A to 100m distance. You switch to HL. Pull back on stick until the bird flies over your head in direction -A. Fly out 100m again in direction -A. Reselect HL. Pull back on the stick and keep it pulled back bringing it towards home again.

It changes into Course Lock mode within 10m radius. If i recall, its to do with the NAZA unable to calculate GPS and Compass data. It needs higher accuracy to make the calculations work for smaller area.

I've had this happen to me also, when you fly HL and pull her back with out letting go of the stick, she will continue pass the home point in the same direction. It is until you let go of the stick, it will then swicth to CL mode if within the 10m radius.

This makes sense as you dont want her fly home and then in the 10m radius do a sharp left because its in CL mode.

Mako79 said:
BlackTracer said:

It changes into Course Lock mode within 10m radius. If i recall, its to do with the NAZA unable to calculate GPS and Compass data. It needs higher accuracy to make the calculations work for smaller area.

I've had this happen to me also, when you fly HL and pull her back with out letting go of the stick, she will continue pass the home point in the same direction. It is until you let go of the stick, it will then swicth to CL mode if within the 10m radius.

This makes sense as you dont want her fly home and then in the 10m radius do a sharp left because its in CL mode.

Yeah but which direction will it go once it hits the 10m point is the question. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

BlackTracer said:

I believe it will go back to direction -A since it will again go into CL which means the opposite of the starting facing direction - correct? I have not tried that, but that is my guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31