Home lock/course lock question

Reaction score
A few days ago I enabled Naza and have been practicing with the newly enabled functions. Failsafe, atti, homelock and courselock. They all seem to work as advertised except that I understood that if the drone is returning to me in homelock, at a certain distance away (30 ft?), it would automatically turn and follow my course lock path. I set course lock to be straight off to the right of home, and when flying in course lock it functions that way. I fly like that a bit, switch to gps, fly a bit, then switch to homelock. But, when I bring it to me in homelock, it comes straight in all the way home rather than turning when it reaches the 30 ft, or whatever it was, distance from home. What am I not understanding here??

10m = 30ft right?
So when you are inside the 10m radius, HL will switch to CL.
But.... there is an exception.
The craft will come back in home lock mode until you release the stick command. So when she is coming back and within 10m range and still got the right stick pulled back, it will continue that course and even fly pass you until you release the sticks. This is so the phantom doesn't go whacko. Imagine the phantom coming towards you and then doing a sharp lefty all of sudden because its within the 10m radius,

Thanks, I thought that making that sharp lefty was exactly what it was supposed to do. I do NOT want my phantom going whacko!! (me being a bit whacko is bad enough)

Any idea of what would happen if I switch both S1 and S2 all the way down at the same time?
Failsafe or homelock or?

Good question. I was wondering what it would do as well. Might give it a try after getting my unit back from repair

edmcmeans said:
Any idea of what would happen if I switch both S1 and S2 all the way down at the same time?
Failsafe or homelock or?

The right toggle switch all the way down will override and trigger failsafe/RTH. If you regain control by flicking the right toggle up to GPS, the phantom will then fly in Home Lock if its still greater than 10m from the home point.

Mako79 said:
10m = 30ft right?
So when you are inside the 10m radius, HL will switch to CL.
But.... there is an exception.
The craft will come back in home lock mode until you release the stick command. So when she is coming back and within 10m range and still got the right stick pulled back, it will continue that course and even fly pass you until you release the sticks. This is so the phantom doesn't go whacko. Imagine the phantom coming towards you and then doing a sharp lefty all of sudden because its within the 10m radius,

There is no exception. If you are in HL outside the 10m radius, then enter the 10m raduis, it will always switch to CL. In fact it will remain in CL until you leave the 10m radius and reselect HL. Also if you were to come into the 10m radius 180 degrees from the forward course direction in HL, it will reverse direction as soon as it switches to CL.

I'm getting more confused here. Raining so I can't test anything today, but the other day, here is the sequence of events that made me ask the first question on this post:
Before I started the motors, I sat the quad down facing East, with S2 in courselock, started the motors. Flew out to the North about 200 feet in GPS mode, switched S2 down to homelock, pulled right lever down to bring the quad back. It came back all the way to where I had launched, right over me, about 20 feet up. It never done anything different when it reached that 30 foot area. I do have course lock set correctly, have tested that.

edmcmeans said:
I'm getting more confused here. Raining so I can't test anything today, but the other day, here is the sequence of events that made me ask the first question on this post:
Before I started the motors, I sat the quad down facing East, with S2 in courselock, started the motors. Flew out to the North about 200 feet in GPS mode, switched S2 down to homelock, pulled right lever down to bring the quad back. It came back all the way to where I had launched, right over me, about 20 feet up. It never done anything different when it reached that 30 foot area. I do have course lock set correctly, have tested that.

If you were in course lock from the start and facing east, for it to fly north you would have had to use right stick to the left. When you switched to home lock and hit the 10m from home line, coming from the north it should have headed straight west. If it didn't HL and CL are not working for you. Also check that the LEDs are displaying correctly when in CL or HL and GPS mode, which is yellow-yellow-green or yellow-yellow-green-green if the sticks are not centered.

I bought my Vision Plus v3 about a month ago. I’m using the latest DJI app. I can confirmed what I thought was correct… when I switch to Home Lock the Vision _stays_ in Home Lock and only changes once the S2 switch is flipped. It _does not_ switch when it comes within 30 feet of the home spot or the flier. It _does not_ come out of Home Lock if it’s flown over the flier. I’ve watched videos from a while ago that clearly show a Vision switching out of Home Lock when it gets within 30’ of the flier. My Vision does not do this. I’m guessing that this programming was removed sometime recently.

tcope said:
I bought my Vision Plus v3 about a month ago. I’m using the latest DJI app. I can confirmed what I thought was correct… when I switch to Home Lock the Vision _stays_ in Home Lock and only changes once the S2 switch is flipped. It _does not_ switch when it comes within 30 feet of the home spot or the flier. It _does not_ come out of Home Lock if it’s flown over the flier. I’ve watched videos from a while ago that clearly show a Vision switching out of Home Lock when it gets within 30’ of the flier. My Vision does not do this. I’m guessing that this programming was removed sometime recently.

Sorry but what you say here makes no logical sense. If it stayed in home lock and flew over the home point what would it do once it got there and you kept the stick back? Keep flying back and forth over the home point? That's why dji switches to course lock automatically. If yours doesn't switch like that you are not actually in home lock or don't understand what home lock is or does. No offense.

BlackTracer said:
If it stayed in home lock and flew over the home point what would it do once it got there and you kept the stick back? Keep flying back and forth over the home point? That's why dji switches to course lock automatically. If yours doesn't switch like that you are not actually in home lock or don't understand what home lock is or does. No offense.

Yes, that is what is does. Once it flew over my head it kept flying that direction. So now it was flying away from me while pulling the stick toward me. I flew about 10 further once it was over my head and there was no change.

I'm flying in NAZA M mode and switch the S2 switch to the Home Lock position. I turn the Vision 90 degrees and confirmed that pushing the stick away from me moves the drone away from my location and not forward from the drones perspective.

I've watched the video's showing Home Lock mode and understand that it should make a big swinging circle when coming back and getting within 30' but mine does not. However, Home Lock mode works just fine in every other respect. Keep this in mind... if Home Lock mode is activated the Vision will still always come back to me when I pull the stick toward me. It's just that once it back Home Lock mode does not work the same.

I have the latest Firmware up until the 3.12 release (I'm 99% sure that is 3.8). I never installed 3.10 or 3.12.

I am happy to do a short video on Friday and post it.

Just did a test with my firmware 3.08 (phantom assist 3.6). And apologies, Black tracer is correct.
Last time I did a test, I think the nose orientation and home lock remained the same. Ever since firmware 3.0 and onwards, the ability to change home position in mid flight (left toggle, mid to lower position x 5 rapid) has become difficult to reset. I assumed it had reset but I could not see the rapid green flashes to confirm. This meant HL and CL was almost identical in nose direction and therefore the reason for it to continue to fly pass me when I pull the stick back.

Today, I used dynamic home point (DHP- your device is the home position) this time to do the test. The place I took off will be the course lock direction and the new place I walked to will be the new home position. I rotated the phantom and pulled the stick back without releasing. When it flew above my head, it changed directions relative to CL. This means that it switched to CL when its within the 10m perimeter.

Failsafe or homelock or?

My understanding is that Home Lock will only work when GPS mode is enabled so I would assume Failsafe would override Home Lock. I think I will test this next time I fly just to be sure.

My understanding is that Home Lock will only work when GPS mode is enabled so I would assume Failsafe would override Home Lock. I think I will test this next time I fly just to be sure.

Yes must be in GPS Mode AND have 6 or more satellites acquired otherwise it reverts to Course Lock.

Failsafe overrides ALL modes,
Home lock needs GPS mode AND GPS signal (to know where home is)
Course Lock Relies on the compass and will work in GPS or Atti mode

In regard to it switching from HL to CL inside 30 ft. Try it yourself fly out a ways at an angle, put in HL, and pull back on the right stick, it will fly back straight at home position and probably act like it hit a brick wall when it gets close. Because pulling back (towards home) will be overridden my whatever direction "back" is in CL when it get inside the 30 foot circle. Did it yesterday to see what would happen if I pulled "back" past the center of the circle, found out it stops...fast..

May not be relevant but I'm sure course lock orientation is set "when you power on" as distinct from when you start the motors. It caught me out!

Question and I hope this is the correct forum. Only recent one I found.
A Home Lock and Course Lock question.
I am in Naza Mode and understand it fairly well. I want to change to a new Home Point or change my Couse Lock direction in flight. So I am about 150' out. I toggle S2 from Home Lock to Course Lock 5x, 10x even 15x and no change. Also tried the same for Course Lock. Changed direction of the Phantom Vision 2+ v3, Toggled S2 between off and Couse Lock numerous times and could not get the course to change. In either case no rapid flashing green lights to indicate a change. Checked my S2 switch in the RC and Phantom Assisstant and it works fine. Andt the Course Lock and Home lock function perfectly, just can't change either with S2 in flight. Any ideas.
Thanks
Jack

Question and I hope this is the correct forum. Only recent one I found.
A Home Lock and Course Lock question.
I am in Naza Mode and understand it fairly well. I want to change to a new Home Point or change my Couse Lock direction in flight. So I am about 150' out. I toggle S2 from Home Lock to Course Lock 5x, 10x even 15x and no change. Also tried the same for Course Lock. Changed direction of the Phantom Vision 2+ v3, Toggled S2 between off and Couse Lock numerous times and could not get the course to change. In either case no rapid flashing green lights to indicate a change. Checked my S2 switch in the RC and Phantom Assisstant and it works fine. Andt the Course Lock and Home lock function perfectly, just can't change either with S2 in flight. Any ideas.
Thanks
Jack

I have a P2 version 2 (non upgrade motors/exposed compass/crap gimbal/non-integrated RC battery).

I've had the same issues since firmwares 3.+ onwards. It works but you need to be patient with the flipping. It's all in the wrist and timing. Change the pace, maybe slow the 5 x up/down flick. It once took me 5 minutes to get the flashes and this wasted precious air time and I ended up replacing the S2 switch. I raised this issue over a year ago and most users said they never heard of this issue. On the older firmwares worked immediately. DJI should add a reset home/course button command on the vision software, similar to triggering compass calibration on the vision app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.