Home Insurance does not cover your drone if it is stolen

Reaction score
So at the weekend I had my house broken into and among other things they took my P3p.

Now the home insurance is saying it isnt covered because it is a "mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles and toys"

So this thread is for me to ask for advice on how to get my home insurance to pay up and to warn you all that you may not be covered.

Even though that sounds crappy as all get out if they have that clause in your account there's not much you can do about it at this point. Ask if they offer some kind of "rider" that would cover one in the future.

Sorry to hear about this and hope you get some help somehow.

So at the weekend I had my house broken into and among other things they took my P3p.

Now the home insurance is saying it isn't covered because it is a "mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles and toys"

So this thread is for me to ask for advice on how to get my home insurance to pay up and to warn you all that you may not be covered.

Insurance companies will come up with all kinds of exclusions when needed by the insured. I have Allstate Insurance and my policy lists in the exclusions..........

"Aircraft and aircraft parts". However, it also states "This does not include model or hobby craft not designed to carry people or cargo" (meaning a (hobby craft) UAV would be covered).
I checked it out with my agent and was told my Phantom 3A is covered under my home insurance policy as to theft or damage if used as a hobby and not commercial use.

I also spoke with my business commercial insurance provider and he is to get back to me as to coverage for theft and/or damage from flying these with a thermal camera. His initial thoughts were I could get coverage for this if used under my commercial policy for business - approximates less than $100.00 as to annual premium increase. We will see!

Other insurance providers list these as a "Flying Drone Camera" and/or "Flying Camera" and do cover them as such. Perhaps if you read through your policy Sandy, there may be some wording like that which may enable coverage for you (even just "flying camera"). If they can "split hairs" for exclusions - maybe you can also as to an "inclusion".

Sorry to hear of your break-in - it's a lousy feeling just knowing someone was going through your house and belongings - despite what they stole. Best of luck with this.

The best thing you could do is upload a scanned copy of your policy or the exclusion section containing that information. Don't include your limits page with personal information.

Using a search of those words I found a Halifax policy. It was not a quote direct from the policy but did contain this information:
"Road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles or toys, or parts or accessories for any of them except for motorised garden tools, electric wheelchairs and remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys.
• Aircraft, caravans, trailers, boats, windsurfers, other watercraft, or parts or accessories for any of them."

(incorrect spelling was left in)

"...except for ... remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys."

I think its doubtful that they would try to say its an aircraft.

This is from an AA Insurance policy:
"The following are not included as contents. (a) Road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles or toys except domestic gardening equipment, electric wheelchairs and remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys. Caravans, horse boxes, trailers and trailer tents. Aircraft and hovercraft."

again... the "except" part goes to include remote controlled toys. Seems like this is a semi typical exclusion but not aimed at toys or models.

Lastly, if they have not denied your claim in writing, then it's not been denied.

The best thing you could do is upload a scanned copy of your policy or the exclusion section containing that information. Don't include your limits page with personal information.

Using a search of those words I found a Halifax policy. It was not a quote direct from the policy but did contain this information:
"Road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles or toys, or parts or accessories for any of them except for motorised garden tools, electric wheelchairs and remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys.
• Aircraft, caravans, trailers, boats, windsurfers, other watercraft, or parts or accessories for any of them."

(incorrect spelling was left in)

"...except for ... remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys."

I think its doubtful that they would try to say its an aircraft.

This is from an AA Insurance policy:
"The following are not included as contents. (a) Road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles or toys except domestic gardening equipment, electric wheelchairs and remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys. Caravans, horse boxes, trailers and trailer tents. Aircraft and hovercraft."

again... the "except" part goes to include remote controlled toys. Seems like this is a semi typical exclusion but not aimed at toys or models.

Lastly, if they have not denied your claim in writing, then it's not been denied.

It is the Halifax that I'm with. They have not yet denied it in writing, I have been called by the complaints department and they are reviewing it, not that I have much hope.

Do you think If i tell them it is a remote control toy it would make a difference?

It is the Halifax that I'm with. They have not yet denied it in writing, I have been called by the complaints department and they are reviewing it, not that I have much hope.

Do you think If i tell them it is a remote control toy it would make a difference?

I definitely think it would help to identify it as a "remote controlled toy" or even "remote controlled camera" might be better.

I just looked through their exclusions and inclusion (Halifax) and noted the following under "what is not covered"

"Road vehicles or any other mechanically propelled or assisted vehicles or toys or parts or accessories for any of them except motorised garden tools, electric wheelchairs and remote-controlled or battery-powered models or toys"

Reading that statement tells me - your remote controlled "toy" should be covered!

Last edited:
I got the same kind of deal as gueromixx, but through State Farm. It was only about $60 a year. Covers damage from crashing, theft, loss, etc.

Liability is covered under my homeowners.

Say it's used for freelance photography and it's a flying camera?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello,
There are many insurance policies which fire damage, water damage , storm damage, cover mechanical propelled toys. When you are not satisfied with the amount that your company is willing to pay on your claim, a public adjuster represents the policy holder to maximize his insurance claim. Boca Raton insurance adjuster can help make it an easier process for you .

Last edited:
Is it my imagination or are these break ins on the rise. It may be coincidence, but this is the 7th case of a home break in I've seen in the last 5 days. I live in Australia in a small country town. If we're getting more I'd hate to think what the cities are putting up with. A friend of mine owns a small shop and he's been held up 5 times since last Christmas. His insurance company cancelled his policy after the second break in. I feel your pain Sandy, it's a little late, but you can set up a pretty good alarm system for little outlay, but I would advise you install a wireless system, thieves avoid WiFi setups like the plague.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic