Hobby shop stuff...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I hadn't been to my local hobby shop in months... I wound up there today and saw my very first DJI Inspire 1. VERY impressive looking beast. They had a video taken from it up on a big screen in the back of the store. NICE stuff...

They also had a quad I've been keeping a very close eye on. The Yuneec Q500 Typhoon... This thing looks amazing! One of the guys was telling me that you can't hear it at all when it's up over 300 feet. Nice three axis gimbal, very nice camera... all for $1,200.

They ALSO had the brand new Dromida Ominus FPV. I can't believe how sharp the video is on this thing. No gimbal, so... but VERY sharp stills. This is a $200 mini (NOT micro) that is very, very quick. Impressive..

-slinger

So when do we see the nice videos from your new Inspire?

Happyflyer said:

Yeah right... That'd go something like...

Elderly Portuguese Network Manager from Southern New England shot to death by irate spouse with victim's favorite Colt .45 caliber 1911 pistol... Film at 11:00 :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Happyflyer said:

Elderly Portuguese Network Manager from Southern New England shot to death by irate spouse with victim's favorite Colt .45 caliber 1911 pistol... Film at 11:00 :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger
Well.....Look at it this way: She could take the 22 and shoot a leg and let you lay there for a long period of time........ :p
At least she was being nice to use the 45! :roll:

Happyflyer said:
gunslinger said:
Happyflyer said:

-slinger
Well.....Look at it this way: She could take the 22 and shoot a leg and let you lay there for a long period of time........ :p
At least she was being nice to use the 45! :roll:

As long as she doesn't use one of my .45 "light loads." I mostly shoot paper at 10 yards and don't need enough muzzle velocity to stop a moose, so I tend to get a little stingy with the powder. One of those is bigger than a .22 but doesn't have much penetration power. My arteries are so hard, it'd probably just bounce off... :eek: :shock: :lol:

-slinger

Hard arteries eh ;)

Attachments

• One a day !.jpg
    One a day !.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 324
dirkclod said:
Hard arteries eh ;)

Nah... that's to make soft arteries hard... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

gunslinger said:
As long as she doesn't use one of my .45 "light loads." I mostly shoot paper at 10 yards and don't need enough muzzle velocity to stop a moose, so I tend to get a little stingy with the powder. One of those is bigger than a .22 but doesn't have much penetration power. My arteries are so hard, it'd probably just bounce off... :eek: :shock: :lol:

-slinger
I can see the cartoon now. You get too stingy on the powder, pull the trigger, a big puff of smoke, and a round lead ball just rolls out the end of the .45 and hits the floor a couple of feet in front of you. :lol: Statement: "Oooops! That was a little too light."
I have to watch the load in my .44 mag. If I am going to put it in my Super Black Hawk with 10-1/2" full bull barrel or my .44 mag Desert Eagle. The Eagle needs more to make enough gas to make it work. Same round in the Hawk and you don't want to shoot it for long. Wears the hand out... :eek:

Happyflyer said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger
I can see the cartoon now. You get too stingy on the powder, pull the trigger, a big puff of smoke, and a round lead ball just rolls out the end of the .45 and hits the floor a couple of feet in front of you. :lol: Statement: "Oooops! That was a little too light."
I have to watch the load in my .44 mag. If I am going to put it in my Super Black Hawk with 10-1/2" full bull barrel or my .44 mag Desert Eagle. The Eagle needs more to make enough gas to make it work. Same round in the Hawk and you don't want to shoot it for long. Wears the hand out... :eek:

As you're obviously well aware... There's an art to reloading. The TRUE artists reload cartridges for the long guns. I NEVER want to get into it quite that deeply. I'm just a handgun kinda guy.

I, for the first an only time, accepted 100 rounds of 9MM Parabellum from a guy at work. After about thirty or so rounds, I had a Failure to Chamber... I dropped the magazine and cleared the chamber... the round looked perfectly fine. No distortion that I could see. But... I took it out of the mix, popped the magazine back in and racked the slide. Same thing. WTF?

It turned out that the gent who gave me the ammo was using an automated DIllon set up and fell asleep at the switch. There was a round in the box with a primer in place but little or no powder. Said round went partially down the barrel and stopped right there. If it had gone another quarter inch or so it would have allowed the round behind it to chamber and... Christ knows what would have happened...

I usually shoot at Dirty Bird targets so I can see where I'm hitting. In this case, naturally, I was using paper and didn't pick up on the fact that the previous round never made it to the target...

Happyflyer said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

On another note... I was screwing around making "HOT" rounds for the .45 and had a nice mix that I fired out of my S&W 1911. Nice kick and a nice flat(ish) trajectory over 25 yards. One fine day I decided to use a box of those rounds on my antiquated Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match... Not a particularly clever idea when viewed through the rear view mirror....

About the tenth round, I had something come back and bounce off my head right between my shooting glasses and ear protection center band. Hurt like hell. I'm checking for blood and brain matter on my head and the side wall and found nothing. I figured it might have been a ricochet from someone else nearby with Helen Keller vision, who may have hit a supporting post or something. Just a small fairly slow moving projectile. (I've been hit with many of them over the years at the range and some have been pretty scary)

When I lined up my next shot it became immediately clear that I no longer had a front site. :D

I looked high and low for that sucker and never did find it. It snapped off just below the level of the top of the slide. That was the last batch of "HOT" .45 ammo I ever assembled... :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

WOW! That was BAD! Both the bad round and the site coming off.
My Dillion you pay attention to what you are doing all the time. Yes, I load my .30-06 for my M1 and the .762X39 for my XXXX can't begin to spell it.
In 25 years of reloading, after testing different loads, I am yet to ever have a problem with a load. I finally picked up a set of dies for my .50 cal Desert Eagle last fall and need to find some time to work with them. Have to wait until warm weather to do test shots with those new dies. Then I will be tied up with the P2V!

Happyflyer said:
WOW! That was BAD! Both the bad round and the site coming off.
My Dillion you pay attention to what you are doing all the time. Yes, I load my .30-06 for my M1 and the .762X39 for my XXXX can't begin to spell it.
In 25 years of reloading, after testing different loads, I am yet to ever have a problem with a load. I finally picked up a set of dies for my .50 cal Desert Eagle last fall and need to find some time to work with them. Have to wait until warm weather to do test shots with those new dies. Then I will be tied up with the P2V!

Whoa Hap... That Desert Eagle is serious stuff... I've held one in a gun shop but never fired one. It's a gorgeous piece of equipment though...

I reload with a Lee turret setup and I weigh every fifth charge coming out of the manual powder charger. I'm extremely careful with each and every round due to my extreme respect for the firearm and awareness of possible negative ramifications of dozing while reloading... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Whoa Hap... That Desert Eagle is serious stuff... I've held one in a gun shop but never fired one. It's a gorgeous piece of equipment though...

I reload with a Lee turret setup and I weigh every fifth charge coming out of the manual powder charger. I'm extremely careful with each and every round due to my extreme respect for the firearm and awareness of possible negative ramifications of dozing while reloading... :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger
Good to check the powder often. I rarely find one under loaded and never overloaded. When I have found one under, I pop them apart back to the last one I checked and re-do them. Friends that have watched me put a shell in my bullet puller and then bang it on the floor think I am nuts. Then I show them how it works. :lol:
My .44 mag Eagle has a nice blue finish. The .50 Eagle is more of a flat finish on it. I have seen some of the REAL fancy ones that cost many $$$$$$ more than what mine did when I bought them. Chrome, matt silver, and Gold are some I have seen, but cost was in outer space. I'll pop in some pics soon.
RT cat said it was time to eat, so. The Master has spoken.......later

Slinger,
I found a minute or two and shot my guns. NO, with a camera!
First is the .44 Mag and the .50 Cal Desert Eagle's
Second is the Super Black Hawk with that 10-1/2" bull barrel.
Third is that big 1/2" hole the BIG bullet comes out of along with a BIG noise.
Camera just does not pick up the true colors or shades. The .44 is somewhat blue and the .50 is real flat.

Attachments

• 50 Cal Hole.JPG
    50 Cal Hole.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 301
  • Super Black Hawk.JPG
    Super Black Hawk.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 298
  • 44 and 50 Cal.JPG
    44 and 50 Cal.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 272
Happyflyer said:
Slinger,
Camera just does not pick up the true colors or shades. The .44 is somewhat blue and the .50 is real flat.

Very nice. :cool:

Happyflyer said:
Slinger,

Wow... Now THAT is a muzzle... :shock: :eek: Beautiful. I'll bet that BlackHawk's a ball to shoot...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Wow... Now THAT is a muzzle... :shock: :eek: Beautiful. I'll bet that BlackHawk's a ball to shoot...

-slinger
As long as you remember to put the less charged rounds in it. Put the .44 mag for the Eagle and your hand gets tired fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20