Hmmmmm... What could possibly go wrong here...?

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, that was not me. I found it on YouTube. I would never try that since I like my copter so much... But, it does appear that they did it as safely as possible, in a rural area (Eastern Europe or Russia perhaps?) with a damp, non-flammable surrounding. I applaud their charisma and creativity.

Reactions: Eddyfisher
Yep, I've thought about building a small parachute and carrying it up to 400 feet and releasing it to see how long it could stay afloat. It would be my luck though to get the shroud lines wrapped around the propellers! I wonder how many other ideas are out there, or have been tried? That might make an interesting thread to watch.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I have considered the parachute thing in the past, but I think that the reason it has not been widely discussed is because most of the drone mishaps occur low to the ground at heights that such a system would not benefit the craft. Although it does happen from time to time, it is rare that a copter just shuts off at altitude, and thus, IMO not worth the added weight.

I saw a video the other day of a guy catching a fish with his drone, not just casting like I plan on trying.

I saw a video the other day of a guy catching a fish with his drone, not just casting like I plan on trying.

Yeah, that's the thing about this hobby. If you get creative, it keeps the boredom at bay.

OH on the parachute comment, I meant it as a toy only. As a kid, I used to build one and let it blow up a kite string until it was almost up to the kite, then tug the line to shake it loose and watch it float to the ground. What I meant to imply was just build one, maybe out of a small plastic trash bag and string and weight it just enough to create stability and full deployment. Then haul it up to altitude and release the parachute completely from the drone. Let the parachute drift down on its own and land the drone back at its home point. One would need a safe system to release the 'chute and prevent it from tangling with the props for sure. So, does anyone else have any "toy ideas" to play around with?
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

OMG! I would never try that but it did make me laugh and to hear those Russian (maybe) red necks laughing made it even better. Please don't try this at home. Amazing how fast the P4 recovers stable flight.

Last edited:
OMG! I would never try that but it did make me laugh and to here those Russian (maybe) red necks laughing made it even better. Please don't try this at home. Amazing how fast the P4 recovers stable flight.
Ivan, hold my vodka and watch this ;)

Reactions: Craig H
OH on the parachute comment, I meant it as a toy only. As a kid, I used to build one and let it blow up a kite string until it was almost up to the kite, then tug the line to shake it loose and watch it float to the ground. What I meant to imply was just build one, maybe out of a small plastic trash bag and string and weight it just enough to create stability and full deployment. Then haul it up to altitude and release the parachute completely from the drone. Let the parachute drift down on its own and land the drone back at its home point. One would need a safe system to release the 'chute and prevent it from tangling with the props for sure. So, does anyone else have any "toy ideas" to play around with?
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Ahh... Yeah, I recall those drop chutes on kites as well. They were pretty fun, and something different. I bet if you fashioned a short bridle out of twine from the landing gear corners and fastened a weighted chute to its center using a very fragile length of thread, you could do a slow and gentle climb to your drop altitude and then a sudden fast climb in Sport Mode to break the chute away. The bridle would have to be fairly taut across the base of the landing gear legs to not get caught up in the camera, and I'd turn off all downward facing sensors, and of course, try it down low first... For thread, I'd see about something with maybe a one or two pound test. For a chute, I'd try a hobby store that sells model rockets and buy a replacement for one of the larger rockets. I think it would work well..

The Roman candles attached to the drone was absolutely hilarious, especially some of your comments.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Do I hear the poor little IMU screaming? I'm gonna try it with laser-guided ordnance (Amazon?).

1502470499ecc7f37490b97234ccba35.jpg

How about one of those? Take it to altitude & release....might be fun!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers