HMF 550s with NAZA

Reaction score
Hi all....

I've recently built another hex, HMF550s with retracts.

HMF550s with retracts
Emax MT2213 -935kv 2212 motors
Emax Simonk 40A ESC's
NAZA-M Lite
FeiYu Tech 3D mini gimbal
FT951 FPV Tx
Devo 1202Rx
Devo F12E Tx
10,000mAh 4s battery

All up take off weight of 2620grams

Now I've had P1, Talli H500, F550, Sky-Hero Little Spyder & this ones my latest.

I've taken my time to set this up getting everything to work correctly with the Tx etc.

However during flight testing she's not in a word stable....

Take off normal...

Level off to hover, OK for a little bit, then she starts to drift picking up speed until you correct it. If I feed in minute right aileron & forward elevator its hovers.

The first time I test flew it was with a stock standard NAZA-M lite, and she toilet bowled. the GPS was 8cm left of centre and 5cm forward. (Without gimbal)

Second time I moved the GPS to dead centre and 5cm forward. And flashed the software to NAZA-M V2. (Without gimbal) This time she flew a little better, enough for me to gain some trust in her and start to test other functions of NAZA GPS/Atti/fail safes etc etc etc. Tracking during flying indicted to me the GPS needed a little offset and when it came to Failsafe return to home, it failed. Climbed ok then hunted around picking up speed before descending with forward speed until I had to take over and recover.

Third test flight l centred the GPS above the CoG & NAZA flight controller (GPS is not on an antenna) and took it out with gimbal on it. Yet again I didn't have confidence in her, so I returned home and flashed the NAZA back to original lite version. Went through the all the Tx settings again and took it off for another test flight.

Yep you guessed it, I'm not happy with it.... My old heap of crap banged up P1 flew better....

So here's my thoughts....

1# she's too heavy for motors
2# there's something I'm completely missing here
3# NAZA/ESC/Motor combination isn't compatible

HELP.... PLEASE....

Rob

Can you incrementally remove weight and test?

Could be combo of weight and motor/prop performance.

Yeah I'm thinking it's all three... From my reading I'm guessing max payload is 2500grams for the motors & props... So I'm now looking for bigger motors that are up to the job. From a quick search MT3515 650kv.

So I'm looking for any recommendations & advice....

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be watching this thread.

Good luck!, it will help us all.

Well N017Rw, I'm assuming you'd like to know how I went with a solution...

Honestly I got no help on here, which is a first...

So I googled & googled then went shopping and finally found a store which did not make you feel like and idiot when asking heaps of question. Thanks go out to Scott Kerrison at acrecmodels.com in Perth. Even though he was busy he answered all of my question with enthusiasm & a friendly smile.

So basically took home 6 x Emax Mt3506 motors, arm extenders (makes it a 650 now instead of a 550) and 6 x APC 1145 props which with my hex gave it awesome heavy lift capabilities, roughly 6000gram max take off weight.

Anyways, end result is I love it [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Yes, that was definitely underpowered in the original config.

If you find yourself in need of more 450/550 help, there's an excellent thread on RCGroups; some incredibly knowledgeable, friendly and helpful folks there. They are quick to reply too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4