Hi, new to forum - camera res question

Reaction score
Hi, i’m doing wildlife research in the peruvian rainforest and getting ready to buy a Phantom 4 Advanced+.

Our area of concern is a 4km wide valley surrounded by cliffs (200m higher than the valley). Plan is to launch from the cliffs and fly over some of the small open areas of valley but not flying below the tallest trees.

With the drone staying 100m above the valley floor, is the camera resolution good enough to pick out animals as large as a dog?

Thanks!

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
I'm gonna let someone who has done something similar comment, also, a quick look of Youtube videos should help.
Enjoy!

With the drone staying 100m above the valley floor, is the camera resolution good enough to pick out animals as large as a dog?
No. The field of view is too wide for one, and at 100 meters you can just make out a cow if you are lucky. You would have to get lower for that resolution.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

I fly around my area and try to see deer. I can never see them in the forest only in the fields. Sometimes I see the deer in the video that I could not see in the mobile device while flying. They were on the edge of the forest, but not in under the trees. I don't think it can be done. Maybe infrared?

Sometimes I see the deer in the video that I could not see in the mobile device while flying.
I think this is what he was asking, but can you see a deer at over 300 feet in altitude in real time? I think not.

The drone has a very wide angle lens (equivalent to a 24mm lens on a 35mm full-frame SLR) so it's not going to be good for detail of distant subjects.
Here are some examples from a mapping flight I did recently .
Shot at 330 feet showing cattle and cattle egrets and golfers (and their shadows).
i-ZDjxRs3-X2.jpg

i-6mgV7k2-X2.jpg

Reactions: eeire54
With an larger iPad you could probably do it, especially if you turn on Focus assist, it blows up an area of the screen to focus on it when you click it. If you think you see something you could tap on it to make it larger, the enlargement is somewhat pixelated but not bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.