Hi from Wisconsin (USA)

A

avark

Hi All,

My new P2 arrived last Friday. I purchased the P2 because it came stripped. I am fascinated with the aircraft itself and for a while just want to fly and get good with it. Will consider payloads once I learn the aircraft.

Have not flown yet. Been reading the manual, watching "how to" videos, and lurking here for a while. Today I registered it (or myself I guess), checked firmware updates and did an IMU calibration because it came in the mail. Also wrote a simple preflight checklist (so I don't miss anything in my excitement).

I am an older guy who flew fixed wing manned aircraft early in my career and later rotorcraft. Now, being retired, I figured it's time to try something different, hence I am looking forward to trying my hand at drones.

Thanks,
avark

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Thank you, Dirkclod. I have already had to tap your knowledge base over in "P2" discussions..... I suspect I will learn a LOT here from all of you. Appreciate the welcome!

Morning, Mattdbal. Hey, how many satellites do you get on average where you are? I am in Southeastern Wisconsin and will not have phone/tablet telemetry as my P2 is stripped down. Currently working some GPS issues ...

By the way, although yesterday's weather was tempting - tomorrow's snow won't be!!!

Fly safe,
avark

Welcome avark!

I am in the Badger State myself. Around here in Eau Claire I get between 7 and 12 satellites. I've not yet had a problem with losing GPS mode.

Tobby

Yeah, GO PACK!!!!! Hi Tobby!

Thanks for the satellite info. I am in the southeastern part of the state, but have spent many summers fishing just north of Rice Lake (Birchwood) in my youth. Love that part of the state. I'll bet you get some awesome scenic video from your drone up there!

avark

Yeah, GO PACK!!!!! Hi Tobby!

Thanks for the satellite info. I am in the southeastern part of the state, but have spent many summers fishing just north of Rice Lake (Birchwood) in my youth. Love that part of the state. I'll bet you get some awesome scenic video from your drone up there!

avark

As a matter of fact I do. Here's a quick sample.

NICE Tobby. Clicked on it and it took me to some others of yours. One looks like you are over a fish hatchery? Great choice of music too on all of them. Nice job!

Looks like you are having a ball with your drone and video equipment!

NICE Tobby. Clicked on it and it took me to some others of yours. One looks like you are over a fish hatchery? Great choice of music too on all of them. Nice job!

Looks like you are having a ball with your drone and video equipment!

Thank you avark, my bride and I try to post a video or two a week on youtube. We just hop in the Jeep with the dog and pick a direction.

As you get your Phantom sorted and start recording videos you will quickly learn how big a 4 minute video is and how long it takes to download. Youtube is a real asset for storing and accessing videos even if you do not plan on publishing them. They have some rudimentary editing available too.

Tobby

Great reason to plan outings! Bet it's fun for the dog, too. Seeing that, I'll have to get my dog involved.

Thanks, I'll keep your video ideas in mind.

avark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1