Hi from East Sussex

Reaction score
Hello

After 35 yrs of flying I have finally admitted "old age" and hung up my goggles! However now suffering from extreme "withdrawal symptoms" and looking to start drone flying to keep in the air at least "virtually".

Budget constraints will probably mean a second hand Phantom 3 to start with, but it seems like a mine-field out there regarding machines that have been upgraded. Is there anything I should positively avoid ?

Kind regards
Adrian

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

it seems like a mine-field out there regarding machines that have been upgraded. Is there anything I should positively avoid?
It does if all you're doing is reading forums. As-is today, there's a way to install pretty much whichever firmware version you want. So, if there is an issue with the firmware your Phantom comes with, then you can roll it back to an older version.

Reactions: Numone
Welcome to the PhantomPilots family! Fly safe!

Hi

Many thanks, very new to all this at the moment, and was unsure if some of the mod's to firmware could be difficult to reverse.

Kind regards
Adrian

The latest Phantom 3 firmware are all good. When updating my firmware I usually wait a couple days to see if there were any issues then update.

Hi Adrian, and welcome to this great friendly forum from a fellow Brit.

I concur with ryantrax; the latest app and FW work without any issues provided you follow the FW instructions to the letter!

People here are always ready to help, but can I suggest that if you have a question, or need help, then your first port of call should not be "post new thread" but always use the search function, via the magnifying glass, up there, in the top right corner. It really narks me when people are just too darn lazy to use it and they then ask a question that has been posted and answered countless times.

Anyway, good luck with your AC and look forward to hearing from you....

Reactions: deltamike
Welcome.....
This model Phantom 3 will come with a 1 year warranty & reasonably priced..

Newegg.com
DJI Phantom 3 4K Quadcopter with 3-Axis Gimbal (DJI Official Refurbish)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Hi Adrian,

Welcome.

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

but I think you may know that

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

Enjoy the forum

Hi All

Many thanks for the advice and guidance, will remember the search function and the necessary insurances etc. Once I am ready I will do some searching for training in the Tunbridge Wells/Eastbourne area.

Kind regards
Adrian

You might find this handy too :-

Picture1.jpg

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!

WELCOME to the forum :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj