Hi everyone brand new drone owner

Reaction score
I purchased my DJIa little over two weeks ago. I was showing it off to my friend in the park when it flew off path and hit a park bench as I was trying to avoid a pond. Anyway to make a long story short the bird, showing no physical damage at all, no longer flies steady in a idle hover I tried to fix my self by calibrating the compass and imu to no avail. So after some more research I decided to send it to drone nerds. How much would u guys consider too much for a repair? Should I try to sell the standard and get a better model?

A new Phantom 3 Standard can be purchased for as little as $476 here on Amazon, so you certainly wouldn't want to pay more than that to repair it. If the cost is anything close to that, it would probably make better sense to sell it for parts and buy a new Phantom.

I didn't expect it to be out of commission after my first crash. I was really warming up to the hobby but idk how I can last because I tend to be somewhat of a clumsy person at times

Phantoms were really designed to take photos/videos rather than race around and show off. Maybe look into getting something less expensive if that's your usual style of flying. Your piggy bank is going to need to be pretty full if you keep crashing Phantoms. They aren't as durable as less expensive drones (e.g. a Hubsan/Syma).

The reason I ask is the guy at drone nerds made my standard sound like a piece of crap
Well no comment on drone nerd,,,he seen hundreds probly,,,,p3s still a good phantom ,,nothing personal but p3s good place for getting ready for next one (drone )good for all round fun or filming,,,phantoms are tough but don't like any knocks,,sensitive stuff inside,,,

Yeah that's what I'm thinking I'm having a ton of fun with it now... before the crash was satisfied with everything but the range ... if I'm still having fun around Christmas I may splurge.... is drone nerds a bad company?

I have my phantom 3 standard since last year and 33 flights so far and no issues other than the short range. I am overall very happy with my phantom.

1495050444954-1671325705.jpg
Yeah that's what I'm thinking I'm having a ton of fun with it now... before the crash was satisfied with everything but the range ... if I'm still having fun around Christmas I may splurge.... is drone nerds a bad company?

No probly very good company,,they see these things all time and that's how they refer it,,,,my p3s has done more flights than all my drones and still goes hard:) 436 flights on p3s and still going

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: macoman
How did u get 5000 meters with your standard
To be honest I don't think distance is correct,,had some strange numbers going on ,,,,,,was referring to number of flights without trouble,,,,my p3s is stock and to get that range need some serious rc modifications,,my p4 not even go that far

I have had my Phantom 3 standard for almost 5 months. All the things it can do amazes me. I bought it to explore whether aerial photography was for me. The other day it took a tumble on landing (totally my fault because I lost track of it in the sun and was afraid it was landing in trees on RTH). I was very lucky as nothing got damaged and everything is working fine, but I could have easily damaged the gimbal or camera. The range doesn't bother me as it is illegal to fly out of VLOS in Canada, so the standard is perfect because I am not paying for extra range.

I do have a Syma X8G that I use for fun - zipping around, doing flips etc. It has been crashed a few times and keeps going. It was a fraction of the cost of the P3S. If I ever do crash and damage my P3S I likely will buy another one as the cost/value equation is so good. I may even pick another one up to use as a backup drone.

Could have just been the propellers. If you would have purchased an advanced you would have probably still hit the park bench and just been out more money.
Nothing wrong with a Standard. The geek probably knows that you won't be spending much money on it for repairs compared to a P4 or Mavic.

Newegg has refurbished for $350 or less and then you have a spare battery and some parts for any benches that may be in your future

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj