Hi all I am from London looking for some advise

Reaction score
Hi all I am from London looking for some advise please on what Phantom to buy ?

I want to make sure that I get it right first time.

I am thinking about getting the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 4 pro.

Is it any easier to fly the Phantom 4 pro as it has more sensors to help avoid crashing ?

Is it worth the extra money for the P4P ?
And do the sensors make it more safer ?
If you are a serious photographer, the camera on the P4pro is definitely worth the extra.
No the sensors don't make it safer, you can still crash either model.
Don't think of the sensors as crash-proofing.
They are a nice extra but not magic.

If you are a serious photographer, the camera on the P4pro is definitely worth the extra.

Ok thanks.
I am looking at getting into photography I enjoy taking pictures mainly with water and sunrises and sunsets.

Do the sensors pick up on flying over water on the P4P ?

Welcome to the forum.

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BFMA) British Flying Model Association (UK). Click on the link to view their web site :-

British Model Flying Association

It costs £32 at the time of writing. The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BFMA) British Flying Model Association (UK). Click on the link to view their web site :-

British Model Flying Association

It costs £32 at the time of writing. The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice.

Hi thanks for the information I new about the CAA but a good idea to join a club.

Does anyone know of any clubs in or around the NW London area

Reactions: deltamike
I want them if possible to keep the drone away from it as I will be using it a lot near water ?
If the downward sensors are reporting an invalid altitude, then they are not going to help you keep the drone away from the water. Either keep the drone in sight or tilt the camera down a bit so you can see the water as you fly.

Last edited:
If the downward sensors are reporting an invalid altitude, then they are not going to help you keep the drone away from the water. Either keep the drone in sight or tilt the camera down a bit so you can see the water as you fly.

When you say They are a nice extra but not magic

How good are they and the extra sensors ?

I have looked on youtube and seen the p4 avoiding crashing into walls.

But from what I can make out they are only good for helping with solid objects in tripod mode or beginners mode but not trees or bushes

Is the main value I take it in the camera comparing the p4 and the p4p or do the sensors come into it as well ?

But from what I can make out they are only good for helping with solid objects in tripod mode or beginners mode but not trees or bushes
The side sensors in the P4P are only active when flying in beginner/tripod mode. That makes them pretty useless for most people.

When you say They are a nice extra but not magic
How good are they and the extra sensors ?

Is the main value I take it in the camera comparing the p4 and the p4p or do the sensors come into it as well ?
There are limitations to the situations that the sensors can handle.
They won't work in all situations like magic.
Understanding the limitations is important.
Here's a list:
i-DGwNx9K-L.jpg

The most effective obstacle avoidance system is a pilot that doesn't fly close enough to obstacles to have a problem.
I turn OA off and use the extra speed I gain so I would have bought the P4 pro even if it had no obstacle avoidance.
But everyone uses theirs differently and values the features differently.
It's up to you to decide what's important to you.

Ok thanks

There are limitations to the situations that the sensors can handle.
They won't work in all situations like magic.
Understanding the limitations is important.
Here's a list:
i-DGwNx9K-L.jpg

The most effective obstacle avoidance system is a pilot that doesn't fly close enough to obstacles to have a problem.
I turn OA off and use the extra speed I gain so I would have bought the P4 pro even if it had no obstacle avoidance.
But everyone uses theirs differently and values the features differently.
It's up to you to decide what's important to you.

Ok thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.