Here's Why You Shouldn't Parachute Toy Army Men From Your Drone.

Reaction score
This had bad idea written all over it, but being the fun (and dumb) dad that I am, I had to try it.

Yup, after two successful parachutes, I got the chute caught in a blade and crashed my Phantom 3 Advanced. The good news is that the TV show, Right This Minute, is going to air some of this footage and they paid me $150, which will go toward repairs.

Enjoy!

This had bad idea written all over it, but being the fun (and dumb) dad that I am, I had to try it.

Yup, after two successful parachutes, I got the chute caught in a blade and crashed my Phantom 3 Advanced. The good news is that the TV show, Right This Minute, is going to air some of this footage and they paid me $150, which will go toward repairs.

Enjoy!

I guess if those were my kids, I wouldn't have them standing so close to a UAV hovering at their eye level.

Last edited:
Reactions: omid B
Can't argue with you there. Things didn't feel that close when I was there, but in watching the video I had the same thought about their eyes (and mine!).

Cool.
Sounds like a Part 107 exception...
Since the flight’s intention was for fun and not commerce???

Reactions: allz28

Enjoy!

Pretty sure you should start listening to your wife.
She called it a bad idea right from the start.
She sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders.

Sweet

Pretty awesome, man...your 15 minutes of fame. ;)

Unless you are in it only to make some $$, remember why you dropped roughly $500 on a toy in the first place... To have fun! And from what I saw before the 3rd flight, you and your kids were having a LOT of fun!

Keep your kids involved. Get the drone fixed. Redesign your parachute carrying and release mechanism, and try again. Who knows? It might interest your kids enough to encourage them to be engineers or pilots when they grow up

Sorry, too many common sense problems with that.
Why? Because we should only fly like we are told to do? Because we should not try new things even if they are somewhat thinking out of the box? Because we would risk losing the bird and our initial investment due to a crash? Sounds like DJI is trying to make drones out of us too! BORING!

If there were no engineers and inventors, we would not have things like drones to play with. Many have said that we learn from our failures, and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. No one hurt here, and it could be a great learning experience for allz28 and his kids.

I think what you're doing, (all of it) with your children is just wonderful. I've been handicapped a very long time now, and I wish I could have done what you're doing.

Your children will have memories for a lifetime with a dad, that they had a lot of great times with.

Good for you son, and other than being a little more careful around the kids with your drone, don't stop what you're doing.

Bud
ps
If you tie a loop (with string) at the top of the parachute, and then tilt the camera 30 degrees upward, you could simply loop the string loop over the camera while it's pointed upwards, and then just point the camera down and let loose the parachute.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I think it was cool that your crash made it on TV. If you don't take a few risks you may as well leave it in the box. I hope you get it fixed soon. I crashed and had to practically rebuilt my entire drone by watching repair videos. Not cheap but it can be done. You can buy a cheap drone payload release for $25. No need to shake or wiggle. They will release at 225 ft. or more but only claim to go to 180 ft. You can drop anything using a paper clip for the release.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07521DGVD?aaxitk=xztcNwh9uNvPTSM4.GDw1w

Enjoy!

That's why one should always drop toy army women...
Seriously though, good going for being a good dad.
Perhaps you could get a remote release clamp on device and try again. There are some techniques to dropping.

I think what you're doing, (all of it) with your children is just wonderful. I've been handicapped a very long time now, and I wish I could have done what you're doing.

Your children will have memories for a lifetime with a dad, that they had a lot of great times with.

Good for you son, and other than being a little more careful around the kids with your drone, don't stop what you're doing.

Bud
ps
If you tie a loop (with string) at the top of the parachute, and then tilt the camera 30 degrees upward, you could simply loop the string loop over the camera while it's pointed upwards, and then just point the camera down and let loose the parachute.

Reactions: dgd3
I think it was cool that your crash made it on TV. If you don't take a few risks you may as well leave it in the box. I hope you get it fixed soon. I crashed and had to practically rebuilt my entire drone by watching repair videos. Not cheap but it can be done. You can buy a cheap drone payload release for $25. No need to shake or wiggle. They will release at 225 ft. or more but only claim to go to 180 ft. You can drop anything using a paper clip for the release.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07521DGVD?aaxitk=xztcNwh9uNvPTSM4.GDw1w
Just placed my order for one to play with. I have some ideas for using this and this is cheap enough to toy with to see if I want the more expensive/better version. Should be interesting! Thanks for the link!

Enjoy!

Hey, at least you have fun and live life on the edge lol. Some people need to lighten up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues