Help with RAW files please (on iPAD)

Reaction score
I'm new to the Phantom and the forum, so please bear with me. As somebody who uses a DSLR I have learnt to appreciate having an unadulterated file to edit, so always try to shoot in RAW. I'm using Apple's 'Lightning to SD Card Camera Connection Kit' (what a mouthful!) to transfer files directly from the micro SD card to my iPad (running iOS 9.2).

As far as I can tell, the iPad will transfer the Phantom's DNG RAW files and even upload them to the cloud, but not actually let me view them. Is that other people's experience? My current solution is to shoot in RAW+JPEG. As I mainly use the iPad to review and cull bad photos this is not too bad a workflow, but it would be nice to also have the option to do some of my editing on the road as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Apple has not seen fit to release a RAW format API. However Photoshop express does support DNG files so you might try that.

Ok. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said, if you want a quick look at your pics, the embedded JPEG is actually better since it has some postprocesing to make it look bettering and manipulation of a RAW file on an uncalibrated tablet seems so pointless and unnecessarily difficult.

As I'm fairly deeply invested in Apple's ecosystem I think I'll just be doing that, but will consider other software in the future.

Lightroom makes is super easy to process RAW files. I agree, if you are just taking pictures to post on social media, JPEG will be fine for most people. If you are wanting to print, a calibrated monitor and RAW files are the way to go.

That said, if you want a quick look at your pics, the embedded JPEG is actually better since it has some postprocesing to make it look bettering and manipulation of a RAW file on an uncalibrated tablet seems so pointless and unnecessarily difficult.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31