Help with Helix-5 Simulator

Reaction score
I have not flown copters before nor any other device with a controller, so I don't understand what the menus mean in Helix-5 simulator for the phantom. I am on a Mac. In the setup configuration menu, after the "move sticks to min and max" screen, I have no idea what the jargon is referring to.

Several people on this forum have advised me to learn to fly with a simulator, which I am trying to do. I bought this controllers off Amazon and it seems to work with Helix.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U9 ... UTF8&psc=1

There are two sticks and four levers on the controller, plus two switches in the front and what looks like a gain control on one side.

The left side switch has 5 ch and Gyro, the right side switch has Mix on/off and the gain control is labelled gear/pit
Then there are two sticks each with a slider to one side and one underneath. No idea what these do and how they relate to setting up the software for the phantom.

In the first screen of the configuration menu, it shows three buttons along the top, sticks, buttons and keyboard...do I just use sticks?

The stocks are labels for:
Collective Pitch
Cyclic Roll
Cyclic Nick
Rudder
Engine Speed

with a check mark against each button. Which should be checked?

Should I use 5 channels, ignore thrust and pitch curves and ignore expo and duo rate settings?

I've got the sticks working but can't seem to get proper control over the simulated phantom for flying back home.

Check the link in my signature. Make sure you also check any links in that post as well. Unfortunately it became split over two posts.
The info you need is there.

Reactions: Patrickq
Sorry, I could not find any reference in ANY OF YOUR LINKS to the actual configuration screens in the Helix Program, nor could I find an explanation of how to configure the controller I have so that it conforms to the directions in these screens.

So you didn't see this list of instructions then ?

All I did was configure the game controller.

1. Make sure your controller is already connected and recognised by the computer. In my case I just need to link it via bluetooth.
2. Then start the sim
3. Menu - Configuration - Controller
4. In pop up window click sticks
5. Centre your sticks - click next
6. Move all sticks to maximums - I just circle mine at full tilt - click next
7. Give maximum positive collective pitch ( I push the left stick all the way up) - next
8. Give maximum cyclic roll to the right - (Push right stick furthest right) - next
9. Maximum cyclic pitch forward - (Right stick all the way forward) - next
10. Rudder stick maximum left - (Left stick all the way left) - next
11. Message saying its finished
12. Just click ok boxes to return to sim - no need to save settings

Reactions: Patrickq
okay, just tried this and it is an improvement. However, can never seem to get the sticks to bring the copter home. I am using the castle scene. Also my controller has two switches in the front. On the left side it says 5ch/Gyro, on the right the switch says off/pm Mix. Below this switch there is a gain control labelled as Gear/Pitt. Then there are the four slides, two each around the two sticks. What should I do with these?

I must say it is very hard to fly without crashing

Shrimpfarmer, just wanted to thank you profusely for your detailed explanation. In fact, I just joined the forum to be able to do so :)

Luckily your post came up on second page of Google when I searched "how to set up heli-x6 on mac", none of the other results were relevant or detailed enough to provide the answer to a not so techie individual.

We have just set up Heli-X6 on a Mac running El Capitan and linked to a Spektrum DX6i, thanks to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers