Help with Goggles for my P3P

Reaction score
The other day I found myself hijacking another thread about goggles with a p3p. I stopped and decide to start my own thread so as not to tick off the OP.

I have visited my hobby shop and they don't seem to be giving me proper advice in that they are telling me putting goggles on a phantom is a complicated issue due to issues I am not comfortable with. They talked about video channels not being compatible with the p3p as the phantom is not designed for goggle operations. They went on and on till I finally departed, without goggles and completely confused. So here I am hoping you can help me.

I am considering Fat Shark Dominator HD, Fat Shark V3 or the Head Play Goggles.

1. It appears as though I can just come home plug in the power cord, plug in the video cord of the goggles to Phantom 3 controller and away I go. Is that correct?
2. I read somewhere a discussion about what app you need to use. Is a separate app required and if so which one and where do I install this?
3. Could someone please tell me the steps to get goggles hooked up to the Phantom?

I had planned to have the hobby shop take the phantom and give it back to me with the goggles working, as part of the purchase agreement. Given their knowledge base I have decided that is not my best option, so I am back to considering doing it myself ( not my preferred option given my relationship with electronics). Anyone willing to talk me through this would really be appreciated. I am not comfortable making this purchase without self confidence I can do this myself.

Thanks to all for just getting through this wordy post. I wanted you to have as much info as possible.

You need to install the DJI HDMI module on your controller, and then get goggles that have an HDMI input.
Quite a few people have reported good results with the Headplay set -(but they're very large).

First, I would buy and install the HDMI board from DJI or somewheres. You can install it yourself- it's installed on the bottom of your RC controller and provides an extra mini-HDMI out port. You will also need a mini-HDMI cable or adapters converting a standard HDMI cable to mini-HDMI. After that just chose which type goggles you like; Fat Shark HD and Headplay are popular. Both have mini-HDMI input ports.
There are many threads to search in about the advantages/disadvantages of different FPV goggles.
The mini-HDMI output from the RC controller is plugged directly into your battery powered headset.
The RC controller HDMI OSD (On-Screen Display) telemetry output is a bit different than what is presented on screen in the DJI GO app, but provides all the essentials.
There is also a switch setting in the DJI GO app you need to turn on to enable the HDMI output and also a switch to select simultaneous output of video to the app and the HDMI port.
Some people have reported needing to re-install the DJI GO app after installing the HDMI board, but that wasn't the case for me.
I have Headplay goggles on order, but have already experimented to see what the HDMI OSD (On-Screen Display) telemetry looks like on my TV by simply connecting the HDMI RC controller output to my TV HDMI input.
Have fun.

I've had a very quick go with headplays - very good. Probably the best around as far as I can determine. However, they were being used with a P3A and suffered (according to the owner) from a fair bit of pixelation. You need a P3P (which you have) to get smooth visuals. As the guys have said, you will need to install the HDMI output board (simple install, I hear) and then your headplays will plug straight in. The only thing you'll have to worry about after that is looking like a knob in a big mask! :D:D:D:tonguewink::tonguewink:

Be warned about installing the HDMI option on your remote controller... go to you tube and you can watch video of the installation... it looks easy... and its not that hard.... the risky part is where the ribbon cables are attached to the circuit board... on the circuit board connector is a very very small lock that locks the ribbon cable into the connector socket... don't force the lock open or closed or you will break off the lock... everything else is pretty much easy...
the ribbon cables seem to be the part that foils a proper install.... after you get everything installed to test if the cables are properly installed... turn on the Remote Controller and push the two buttons on the back of the remote..
with the press of each one the remote should send you an audible beep.... if you don't hear the beep then the ribbon cable is not seated into the connector properly and you will have to revisit that area again... once you get the two buttons to beep... the next test is to connect your ipad via usb cable... test the DJI Go app for proper connection and then connect something to the HDMI port... a TV... a Projector... a set of goggles... anything that you can confirm the HDMI port is active.... and then your done...

Reactions: alokbhargava
also of note.... if you have never used goggles before.... its best that you use goggles while seated... either on the ground or in a lawn chair.... its one thing looking a little strange with goggles on... its another thing if while wearing goggles you fall over... ;-) and you can get motion sickness....

Reactions: Dirty Bird
PS you do not have to buy HDMI module to get goggles connected to P3P!
Buy a tablet from Nvidia Shield K1 (android) instead, with this you get HDMI out and also can record what on screen. just plug goggles to HDMI (mini) port and you have picture. I have HP and it awesome.

See here what I have:
I also have HDMI module but this is for TV ;-)

I installed the hdmi module and it failed so I ordered a new one
And put the original back on

That looks just Awesome! But I am Just waiting on my P3A to get here from china, but have a nvidia shield K1 waiting to pair cant wait cheers for the video might have to get rid of my fat shark attitude v2 and hdmi to av adaptor and go for this setup next..

i am using a cheap plastic goggles like the google glass kind, and a samsung note 4 whit the litchi app in the vr mode ..... no HDMI module needed and the video quality its very descent for a 22 dollars solution.

That looks just Awesome! But I am Just waiting on my P3A to get here from china, but have a nvidia shield K1 waiting to pair cant wait cheers for the video might have to get rid of my fat shark attitude v2 and hdmi to av adaptor and go for this setup next..
Can you link the hdmi AV adapter for the V2 attitude goggles you are using? I was under the impression an HDMI module or a hdmi capable tablet was required.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are basically two types of solutions- one with independent dual streaming for RC display and Goggles display and other for single display. Both have pluses and minuses. I use dual channel.

Dual independent streaming would need additional HDMI module from DJI, that would replace the existing module on the RC.

Fat Shark Dominator V3, HeadPlay, Accupix Mybud ..... Are different display units for dual displays. I picked up Mybud as it has small form factor and easily fit into my backpack and is cheap too.

If you want to use VR headsets, currently you need to use apps like Litchi for android or Fpv Canera.

You definitely need matching cables with or without adapters. I prefer not to use adapters as they put additional stresses on the ports and you need to tie the cable ends to RC part to provide additional support. There are swiveling types of adapters also available and they reduce the stresses on the ports. In any case I prefer cables without adapters having right type of matching connectors on both the ends.

Flying with goggles gives a totally different experience and one gets lost about the position of the drone during initial use. Having DJI Go app running on tablet simultaneously helps to a great degree until you get used to goggles.

I am pretty surprised that no one (like Fat Shark) has come out with a P3 specific goggle: HDMI input and 720p HiDef. I believe the closest thing are the head plays... but I'm personally waiting for something smaller and more compact.

At the CES show I was told that the Carl Zeiss Cinemizers will again be available this spring.... probably what I'm going to wait for..

I have seen economically priced 1080 p goggles in the market but not yet evaluated.

PS you do not have to buy HDMI module to get goggles connected to P3P!
Buy a tablet from Nvidia Shield K1 (android) instead, with this you get HDMI out

You should be able to do this with an iOS device as well. You'll just need the Lightning to HDMI adapter.

Tried the iOS adaptor but it does leave an annoying border.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1