Help with Futaba T8J programming

Reaction score
Hey there!
I recently upgraded my Tx to the Futaba T8J. Thanks to a great beginner tutorial series by That HPI Guy on Youtube I was able to install and get the Futaba up and running with my Phantom. It's great and I'm loving it BUT now that I've been flying with it for a couple of weeks I'm looking to smooth out the controls a bit. I think that I need to set up a switch that will put me into exponential mode so my Yaw isn't so jarring. I've tried looking this up online and in the Futaba manual but I'm still a beginner and setting this feature up is a bit beyond my understanding. Can anyone walk me through this or recommend a place to watch or read a simple explanation?
Thanks
R

videethis said:
Hey there!
I recently upgraded my Tx to the Futaba T8J. Thanks to a great beginner tutorial series by That HPI Guy on Youtube I was able to install and get the Futaba up and running with my Phantom. It's great and I'm loving it BUT now that I've been flying with it for a couple of weeks I'm looking to smooth out the controls a bit. I think that I need to set up a switch that will put me into exponential mode so my Yaw isn't so jarring. I've tried looking this up online and in the Futaba manual but I'm still a beginner and setting this feature up is a bit beyond my understanding. Can anyone walk me through this or recommend a place to watch or read a simple explanation?
Thanks
R

T8J is fun! just a little overwhelming at first , but easy if you ignore all the unnecessary features (hope you're using the timer,. best feature!)
maybe this week I'll make a little video showing how to do D/r expo curves, but it's actually really simple.

There's a section in the Futaba menu called D/R Expo, go into that.
in there you can control how the sticks respond to the three main controls and such. (Aileron , elevator and rudder, "airplane" terminology for Left/Right, Forward/Reverse and Yaw).
Select Ch4, which controls yaw/rudder.
then scroll down to SW and select the switch you wish to use to activate it. I think I used Switch B, but you can use any switch that's not being used.. your choice.
*Flip that switch to the position you want to use as an "on" position , (otherwise the settings will be applied at all times)

So then you have a few options, if you want to make the yaw not as extrame, change the D/R settings for both <- and -> to lower percentages. If you change them to 50% for instance, it'll behave as if the stick will only be traveling 50% as much as it used to. - so right there it will soften up how the stick controls yaw.

However if you really want to soften things up even more in the middle, then you'd want to adjust the EXP settings, to say perhaps -%50. then you'll see the line kind of flatten out in the middle of the graph.
the result will be a super-soft rudder. (but it will still approach normal input levels when you move the stick fully to the left or right.

Kind of hard to explain, but you can visually see what's going on if you then go to the Servo section (3rd "page" of the menu.)
try flipping the switch back and forth while moving the rudder and you can see the results. (or try seeing what stick response is like in the NAZA software).
hope it all makes sense.

here's some complex reading about it,
http://www.rmfm.org/dual_rates_and_exponential1.htm

Gizmo3000 said:
videethis said:
Hey there!
Thanks
R

T8J is fun! just a little overwhelming at first , but easy if you ignore all the unnecessary features (hope you're using the timer,. best feature!)
maybe this week I'll make a little video showing how to do D/r expo curves, but it's actually really simple.

There's a section in the Futaba menu called D/R Expo, go into that.
in there you can control how the sticks respond to the three main controls and such. (Aileron , elevator and rudder, "airplane" terminology for Left/Right, Forward/Reverse and Yaw).
Select Ch4, which controls yaw/rudder.
then scroll down to SW and select the switch you wish to use to activate it. I think I used Switch B, but you can use any switch that's not being used.. your choice.
*Flip that switch to the position you want to use as an "on" position , (otherwise the settings will be applied at all times)

So then you have a few options, if you want to make the yaw not as extrame, change the D/R settings for both <- and -> to lower percentages. If you change them to 50% for instance, it'll behave as if the stick will only be traveling 50% as much as it used to. - so right there it will soften up how the stick controls yaw.

However if you really want to soften things up even more in the middle, then you'd want to adjust the EXP settings, to say perhaps -%50. then you'll see the line kind of flatten out in the middle of the graph.
the result will be a super-soft rudder. (but it will still approach normal input levels when you move the stick fully to the left or right.

Kind of hard to explain, but you can visually see what's going on if you then go to the Servo section (3rd "page" of the menu.)
try flipping the switch back and forth while moving the rudder and you can see the results. (or try seeing what stick response is like in the NAZA software).
hope it all makes sense.

here's some complex reading about it,
http://www.rmfm.org/dual_rates_and_exponential1.htm

Thanks so much Gizmo 3000. I tried it out and it worked like a charm. The yaw is now smooth and buttery. Yessss. Will this work with the other channels? Thanks to you I know that Yaw is channel 4. What are the other 3 channels?
Once again, thanks for the info. You really helped.
R

videethis said:
Thanks so much Gizmo 3000. I tried it out and it worked like a charm. The yaw is now smooth and buttery. Yessss. Will this wor with the other channels? Thanks to you I know that Yaw is channel 4. What are the other 3 channels?
R

you got it.

yes,.you can apply the nearly identical curve to Ch1 and Ch2 to smooth out aileron and elevator. just be sure to have the switch on when you do so. (unless you want to apply the curves full time, and then even smoother curves on the flip of the switch)
ch3 is the throttle, which is turned off in that section, if you want to mess with throttle curves there's a THR curve setting which is nearly the same.
when you're in those windows, you can move the sticks around and see a line moving around just so you know which one you're operating.
but you can see what each channel name is assigned if you go the Reverse window

*IMPORTANT* You might not be able to arm your motors if the switch is flipped, as the only way to arm the Phantom is to be able to send a 100 or -100% signal when the sticks are in their far positions. (still throws me off when I forget to flip the switch back up before taking off)

It's pretty easy once you become more familiar with the Futaba tho, one window at a time.

I've posted a number of videos if you have a gimbal and want to have fun with pitch and roll
http://www.youtube.com/user/gary3000

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the tips you posted here, its been a great help!! I just got my Futaba today and I'm just overwhelmed as well!! :oops:

However if my goal is going "pro-sumer"ish with aerial footage then going a Futaba was a no-brainer.

By the way, when I first bought my Phantom, your YouTube videos came up A LOT when I did some searching. Many a thanks for posting your videos!!

Gizmo3000 said:
videethis said:
Thanks so much Gizmo 3000. I tried it out and it worked like a charm. The yaw is now smooth and buttery. Yessss. Will this wor with the other channels? Thanks to you I know that Yaw is channel 4. What are the other 3 channels?
R

you got it.

yes,.you can apply the nearly identical curve to Ch1 and Ch2 to smooth out aileron and elevator. just be sure to have the switch on when you do so. (unless you want to apply the curves full time, and then even smoother curves on the flip of the switch)
ch3 is the throttle, which is turned off in that section, if you want to mess with throttle curves there's a THR curve setting which is nearly the same.
when you're in those windows, you can move the sticks around and see a line moving around just so you know which one you're operating.
but you can see what each channel name is assigned if you go the Reverse window

*IMPORTANT* You might not be able to arm your motors if the switch is flipped, as the only way to arm the Phantom is to be able to send a 100 or -100% signal when the sticks are in their far positions. (still throws me off when I forget to flip the switch back up before taking off)

It's pretty easy once you become more familiar with the Futaba tho, one window at a time.

I've posted a number of videos if you have a gimbal and want to have fun with pitch and roll
http://www.youtube.com/user/gary3000

Youre the man. I didnt realize that you were the same Gary from youtube. I hit you up there as well. Thanks again for the awesome info.
Another question since youre the great Futaba Oracle. On the stock controllers that come with the most recent phantoms, the throttle snaps back to the middle. Is it possible to get the T8J to do that as well?
R

videethis said:
Youre the man. I didnt realize that you were the same Gary from youtube. I hit you up there as well. Thanks again for the awesome info.
Another question since youre the great Futaba Oracle. On the stock controllers that come with the most recent phantoms, the throttle snaps back to the middle. Is it possible to get the T8J to do that as well?
R

Always glad to help contribute to the knowledge base!

Yes, I've read that a few fellow flyers have contacted Futaba about it, and they're sent them center-sprung adapter kits.. for free!

(tho I've yet to do so myself, not quite sure if I'd like to fly that way, but heard people dig it)

videethis said:
R

Wait what??? I just got my Phantom in June and my radio didn't have it so I had to buy that center-spring combo myself. :evil:

Gonna call Futaba and see if I can get that kit myself too, since I do more hover shots than moving shots.

HiDroneFlyer said:
Wait what??? I just got my Phantom in June and my radio didn't have it so I had to buy that center-spring combo myself. :evil:

Gonna call Futaba and see if I can get that kit myself too, since I do more hover shots than moving shots.

yah,. some time in June I believe they started shipping Phantom's with the new center-sprung throttle sticks
- tho I'm sure depending on the vendors inventory that many still got the older non-sprung models.

what I'm uncertain about tho is how the Phantom itself deals with hovering at 50% once you've added gimbal and FPV and such.

Many thanks Gary set it up to 50% and -45% on switch B tonight and tried the phantom with no camera or gimbal and it's exactly what I wanted. I have been looking to slow down the yaw and was told by the supplier that it could not be done this will improve my filming of a project I'm doing so thanks for your help.. :D

Regards

Tom. Aberdeenshire Scotland

HiDroneFlyer said:
videethis said:
R

Wow, I got so caught up over the past few months!!

Updates are due then:
1. Emailed Futaba straight from their website, they replied fast and send me the spring kit free with no problems.

2. I just got the Phantom 1.1.1 a few weeks ago, the Remote/Transmitter has the spring built in finally!! :p

As for adjusting the exponentials on my Futaba, I'm still experimenting (more like struggling) on how to get it smoother.

Mahalo to everyone who contributed!! Keep um coming!

Gary, you mention how valuable the timer is on the Futaba. I agree in principle but it isn't working well for me in actual practice. The problem is that the beep of the timer is too soft -- I often don't hear it because I'm concentrating too hard on flying.

Obviously I could stick another kitchen timer on the Futaba but I really like the dual timer function. Would it be possible to mod the radio in some way so the darned timer SCREAMS instead of whispering?

Thanks for your great support!

GearLoose said:
Gary, you mention how valuable the timer is on the Futaba. I agree in principle but it isn't working well for me in actual practice. The problem is that the beep of the timer is too soft -- I often don't hear it because I'm concentrating too hard on flying.

Obviously I could stick another kitchen timer on the Futaba but I really like the dual timer function. Would it be possible to mod the radio in some way so the darned timer SCREAMS instead of whispering?

Thanks for your great support!

Wish I knew.
..there is a setting under Parameter that allows you to change the sound tone, but doesn't seem to make it any easier to hear (maybe for dogs it get so high).

My only possible suggestion would be to do some surgery, open up the box and try to wire up a headphone jack to the beeper if that's possible.

Wow...I have nothing to add but I want to "bookmark" that superb T8J wisdom for reference. I REALLY need to do this with my Tx and Jumper 600, which is shockingly responsive - more than a tad beyond my current flying ability.

I find myself thanking Gizmo3000 over and over for his wisdom and the time he invests in helping others. Here I go again! Thanks Gizmo!!!!!!

PF

Gizmo, another Futaba question for you: I now have a second quad and want to copy the Phantom's settings. Every time I try this, however, I somehow end up with no settings at all. Reconfiguring the Futaba is time consuming -- can you give me an idiot-proof way to copy from model 1 to model 2?

thanks!

GearLoose said:
Gizmo, another Futaba question for you: I now have a second quad and want to copy the Phantom's settings. Every time I try this, however, I somehow end up with no settings at all. Reconfiguring the Futaba is time consuming -- can you give me an idiot-proof way to copy from model 1 to model 2?

I wonder why you're getting no settings copied over, it's a pretty easy thing to do.
bottom of page 27 of the manual
srub down to Copy and change it the model you want to copy and the new model number, hold down the thumb button for a second until the "Sure?" pops up and then hit it again to confirm. it's that easy.
and then change the model name.

Perhaps before you do any of this, go to the same menu, select the new model # reset it, so you can verify later on that you've copied things over correctly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4