Help with fc40 and GoPro

Reaction score
i just got my first drone. It is used and didn't have a camera so I bought a cheap GoPro knock off. She worked amazingly until I turn on camera and then it can't seem to connect to sats. Turn camera off and it's fine again. What should I do??

i just got my first drone. It is used and didn't have a camera so I bought a cheap GoPro knock off. She worked amazingly until I turn on camera and then it can't seem to connect to sats. Turn camera off and it's fine again. What should I do??
It acts like the camera is interfering with the drone although the fc40 is supposed to operate on a different frequency than the cameras wifi. Also I have wifi turned OFF on camera.

Check the frequency of your controller & your camera bet they are both on 2.4gh

Check the frequency of your controller & your camera bet they are both on 2.4gh
So are you saying I can change the controller frequency?? I'm very very new to this. I downloaded the assistant this morning but I haven't plugged the drone into it yet.

No you cant change frequency. On back of controller it will show the frequency it uses either a 2.4 or 5.8 your camera has to be different than what your controller says or it will cause problems. I do have one drone that camera has same frequency here's how I use it you have to start video recording on camera before it can search for wi-fi cant see what you're recording this way till you land & download onto computer hope this helps

IMG_0463.JPG
So are you saying I can change the controller frequency?? I'm very very new to this. I downloaded the assistant this morning but I haven't plugged the drone into it yet.
No you cant change frequency. On back of controller it will show the frequency it uses either a 2.4 or 5.8 your camera has to be different than what your controller says or it will cause problems. I do have one drone that camera has same frequency here's how I use it you have to start video recording on camera before it can search for wi-fi cant see what you're recording this way till you land & download onto computer hope this helps

controler is 5.8 and camera is 2.4
Still if camera is off drone will link up and I will have steady green flashing light. Then as soon as I turn on camera even with wifi turned off light goes to green red green red

View attachment 82753

controler is 5.8 and camera is 2.4
Still if camera is off drone will link up and I will have steady green flashing light. Then as soon as I turn on camera even with wifi turned off light goes to green red green red
Since your controller & camera are different that would not be your problem

I suggest you turn off the wifi. I have a wifi SJCAM that does the same thing to the GPS, even though it is on 2.4ghz wifi. Your best setup will be to install an OSD, camera, and a video transmitter. I know it seems like a lot, but I've had lots of other setups and this works best. I once had the SJCAM record video and FPV, but when it fried mid-flight, I lost video and I was far away. I have a separate camera for fpv and use the SJCAM to record video only.

I suggest you turn off the wifi. I have a wifi SJCAM that does the same thing to the GPS, even though it is on 2.4ghz wifi. Your best setup will be to install an OSD, camera, and a video transmitter. I know it seems like a lot, but I've had lots of other setups and this works best. I once had the SJCAM record video and FPV, but when it fried mid-flight, I lost video and I was far away. I have a separate camera for fpv and use the SJCAM to record video only.
I already turned it off and it does the same thing

This sounds odd. The first post says that when the camera is on, it interferes with "sats" which I take to mean GPS. so we aren't talking about shared frequencies between camera and controller. So 2.4 or 5.8 is irrelevant right? I would make sure that the GPS shield is in place as the AC was bought pre-owned.

This sounds odd. The first post says that when the camera is on, it interferes with "sats" which I take to mean GPS. so we aren't talking about shared frequencies between camera and controller. So 2.4 or 5.8 is irrelevant right? I would make sure that the GPS shield is in place as the AC was bought pre-owned.
Yes basically what happens is: turn on controller, turn on phantom, I get gps lock steady flashing green light. Turn on camera with wifi turned off and light goes back to red and green alternating flashes. Turn camera off and light goes back to steady green flashes only. I assume this shield is inside drone?? I googled it and saw pics of the copper foil thing. Why would previous owner remove??

Am I right in thinking you have no other connection between camera and AC? No fpv transmitter etc. If that's correct then something on the SJ4000 OR something with the on board GPS is at fault.
Yes you would need to remove the top to check on the shield and there is NO reason for it to be removed, but who knows what was done to the AC before you got it. If all looks good then my feeling is that the issue lies with the camera. I use SJ4000 but non WiFi version

Opening the phantom and taking a look in there is a great idea. There is no wa to know what the previous owner did in there until you take a look. It also gets you to be more familiar with it. I would even suggest adding an additional layer of copper foil. I've done that to all 4 of my phantoms and always get good sat connections.

Reactions: ScouseMouse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers