Help with connectors

Directly soldered to the ESC is recommended. The problem with quick connects is when they turn into quick disconnects while in the air. With a quad, it only takes a single connection break to make the bird tumble.

If you feel you need to have them for easier motor/esc exchange then that is the way to go.
Being a proficient solder-er is required to avoid workmanship issues/problems.

They are used extensively in the CP heli world and there is no chance of them coming loose.
(Be prepared to heat shrink the exposed sections).

N017RW said:
If you feel you need to have them for easier motor/esc exchange then that is the way to go.

They are used extensively in the CP heli world and there is no chance of them coming loose.

Heatshrink is that the rubber tube to cover the connectors? Well im no pro solderer so i might risk to damage something.

ado said:
N017RW said:

Heatshrink is that the rubber tube to cover the connectors? Well im no pro solderer so i might risk to damage something.

Then forget the whole idea.
Your going to do damage on the PCB for sure.
A drop of solder on the lose in the bird isn't funny. Next post will be " I have a flyaway "

wel thats why im going with connectors, my dad tho is good at solder so i might turn to him, but i think im goin with bullets, its easier if i wanna change motors, anyway whats a heatshrink?

ado said:
anyway whats a heatshrink?

Its a piece of plastic that you put over a wire and when heat is applied it shrinks so a tight bound is made. And then it insulates things.

Bullet connectors are a drawback for sure... and then the Phantom air frame is a drawback to the drawback... you put the bullet connectors on... then if they start to vibrate loose over time... you won't know till $1300 later :|

Most who use the bullet connectors fly with open airframes and have as part of there preflight checklist to go over all these connections to check for bullets backing out.

Cringe worthy mod putting bullets inside closed arms...

Just my opinion :ugeek:

You need a connector with a clip on it. Similar to the ones cars have. You know the pain in *** ones where you have to exert heaps of force with your thumb to disconnect.
Look for a 3 pin female/male.

Can I ask what you are trying to do?
Are you replacing a motor?
Or are you wanting to do a quick swap ESC/Motor system?

ToThePoint said:
ado said:

Its a piece of plastic that you put over a wire and when heat is applied it shrinks so a tight bound is made. And then it insulates things.

So i just heat it up with a lighter until its tightend?

Mako79 said:
You need a connector with a clip on it. Similar to the ones cars have. You know the pain in *** ones where you have to exert heaps of force with your thumb to disconnect.
Look for a 3 pin female/male.

Can I ask what you are trying to do?
Are you replacing a motor?
Or are you wanting to do a quick swap ESC/Motor system?

Im just replacing the motors. can you link me to some good connectors?

DBS said:
Bullet connectors are a drawback for sure... and then the Phantom air frame is a drawback to the drawback... you put the bullet connectors on... then if they start to vibrate loose over time... you won't know till $1300 later :|

Most who use the bullet connectors fly with open airframes and have as part of there preflight checklist to go over all these connections to check for bullets backing out.

Cringe worthy mod putting bullets inside closed arms...

Just my opinion :ugeek:

I might go with soldering, but so far i think i will go with connectors, and simply tighten them togeather so it for sure wont dissconnect.

ado said:
ToThePoint said:
ado said:

Oh good god. no. Use a heat gun.

If you think these vibrate loose then you have never used them.

How much do your Phantoms vibrate?

The IMU will suffer long before any mechanical failure.

Most of the solder failures shown about the web are likely due to excessive strain.
I actually reduced some of the restraining as they negated the flexibility of the conductors.
(Main PCB to ESC for exampe)

TEHO

ado said:
ToThePoint said:
ado said:

Yep cut a piece from that and hold a lighter under it, watching not to overheat the stuff.
It comes in different diameters, you have to select one that shrinks more after shrinking then the diameter of your electric cable. Because they shrink a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers