Help with compass & GPS?

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got the phantom 4K for the 2nd day and I'm having trouble calibrating the compass. I was trying to calibrate the compass in a condominium with high rise buildings and trees around. Could this be the case as to why I can't calibrate the compass? I've tried calibrating more than 20 times but it does not work. I get green lights, then red when I do the nose down part.

Earlier today, it was raining before and after the rain stopped I brought it to the same spot to test it. It keeps saying that there is interference for GPS and I only have about 4-5 satellites. It says "safe to fly (NON-GPS)".
Does the GPS signal weakens when it's cloudy?

Why is this so? Should I try it in a different location? What if I have to take videos of a tall building but I am unable to calibrate compass? Any advice?

I'm having trouble calibrating the compass. I was trying to calibrate the compass in a condominium with high rise buildings and trees around. Could this be the case as to why I can't calibrate the compass?
To calibrate your compass, you need to get away from the magnetic influence of any iron or steel like cars, structural steel and reinforced concrete.
Find a large clear open area well away from magnetic distortion for compass calibration.

Earlier today, it was raining before and after the rain stopped I brought it to the same spot to test it. It keeps saying that there is interference for GPS and I only have about 4-5 satellites. It says "safe to fly (NON-GPS)".
Does the GPS signal weakens when it's cloudy?
GPS is an all-weather navigation system and not affected by cloud, rain or snow.
The number of sats your Phantom will see is mostly influenced by how much of the sky is blocked by tall buildings etc.
Find an open area and you should get lots of sats.

To calibrate your compass, you need to get away from the magnetic influence of any iron or steel like cars, structural steel and reinforced concrete.
Find a large clear open area well away from magnetic distortion for compass calibration.

GPS is an all-weather navigation system and not affected by cloud, rain or snow.
The number of sats your Phantom will see is mostly influenced by how much of the sky is blocked by tall buildings etc.
Find an open area and you should get lots of sats.

The buildings are built from concrete and steel, is that why I am unable to calibrate my compass? What should I do if I have to film a concrete high rise building and require GPS? Calibrate in an open space near the building then travel back to the filming location?

Hmmm. Ok. I will try that in an open field.

Last edited:
The buildings are built from concrete and steel, is that why I am unable to calibrate my compass?
Yes. You cannot calibrate the compass near metal.

Calibrate in an open space near the building then travel back to the filming location?
Even after calibrating, you should still not take off in areas with a lot of metal. It could confuse the compass and cause your Phantom to fly erratically. The best possible scenario would be to take off from an area on the ground where there is no interference and then fly to the filming location. If that's not possible, then I'd suggest you take off as far away from the floor as possible -- maybe from some type of tall, non-metallic platform.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20