Help with compass calibration

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new Phantom owner and I'm having a problem calibrating my compass. I have downloaded all the newest naza software and firmware updates, and I have imported the default configuration perameters. The IMU has been advanced calibrated. According to the DJI videos on their website, the X, Y, Z values should be in the -300 to 300 range and the Mod value should be around 1600. When I plug the Phantom to the Naza software, all my X, Y, Z values are all between -20 to 20 range. The Mod value hovers around 1800, so I guess the Mod value is ok. Just my X, Y, and Z values all seem low. I have tried doing the compass calibration many times. Each time, I get the constant red flashes showing compass error. I have also tried doing this outside, and I get the same result. I have tried using the waiving of the magnet around the compass to reset it, as demonstrated on the dji website. Yes, when I waive the magnet around the compass, the readings go way out of whack. However, each time i remove the magnet, all of the X, Y, or Z values return to the -20 to 20 range. These values seem low to me.
Can anyone please help? I really want to fly my Phantom for the first time but not till I know it's correctly calibrated.
Thanks for any advice.

Perform Advanced Calibration again, then perform Compass Calibration (360° dance...) Some guys had reported this solution for compass error lights.
Which firmware you got 3.12, 3.14 or 3.16 ?

I'm running 3.16.. I'm almost afraid to to an Advanced Calibration again. I was a real bear the first time. For the longest time it kept saying the device was too hot, and to unplug and try again in 5-10 min. So i'd wait 10 min and try again, then i kept getting the Error 28 saying GPS wasn't calibrated. I tried waiting 10 min, powering on the phantom, and real fast starting the Advanced Cal, like i've read on these forums. I still would get an error, either the phantom was too hot, or GPS needs calibrating. Finally after getting frustrated, I put the Phantom down. I then tried it two days later and it actually worked. Now when i hit status, it says no calibration needed you can skip this step.

I'm having the same problems so please tell me it worked to fix the problem.
I'm getting the GPS error and I have red and yellow lights flashing. :x
I don't want a $700.00 blinking light.

Yea, 3.16 Blows! I tried doing the Advanced Calibration again. Now it's doing the same thing it was doing before... It keeps telling me it's too hot and to try again. Now, I'm stuck on the step where I'm just trying to complete the advanced calibration. Aghhh, so frustrating.

brightside said:
I'm running 3.16.. I'm almost afraid to to an Advanced Calibration again. I was a real bear the first time. For the longest time it kept saying the device was too hot, and to unplug and try again in 5-10 min. So i'd wait 10 min and try again, then i kept getting the Error 28 saying GPS wasn't calibrated. I tried waiting 10 min, powering on the phantom, and real fast starting the Advanced Cal, like i've read on these forums. I still would get an error, either the phantom was too hot, or GPS needs calibrating. Finally after getting frustrated, I put the Phantom down. I then tried it two days later and it actually worked. Now when i hit status, it says no calibration needed you can skip this step.

Sorry to hear about these problems. It's puzzling because others (including me) have been using v3.16 without issues. FWIW here's a link to one vendor's suggestions on completing v3.16 install and configuration:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kkkgo2u8uo91np/DJI Phantom 3.16 Fix DroneFly.pdf

Steve

I was able to get my Phantom to work :D .
1) let it sit unplugged for 20 min. Then do the ADV. cal.
2) Make sure that you have the right craft selected ( I think it's the third on over from the top not the first box not sure where to tell you what page it's on)
3) calabrate your TX sticks.

My Phantom started working after that. I did make a few trial and error attempts. Hope this helps.

deluge2, I cant pull up the pdf file you posted. Do you have another link? Or maybe it was taken down.....

rigger609, Glad you got your Phantom working correctly. I'll give those steps you used a try...

OK, let me try and post this from Dronefly.com. Great guys BTW.
Follow carefully.
Also, you have to complete then go back and turn IOC on.
For some reason they posted the last part first, start at the bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,427
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 1,423
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3,540
Thanks for the repost of the directions. I removed the drivers and software from my computer. I then re-downloaded and installed the drivers/software according to the directions. I was able to do the advanced calibration. Everything looks good on the Phantom when I plug it in the NAZA software. Still, the same thing is happening that was happening before. When I bring the Phantom outside and power it up, it starts up just fine. It searches for satellites, then locks onto them. However, when I try to do a successful compass calibration, I still get constant red flashes. This is my first time EVER flying the phantom. Am I wrong that, even though the NAZA software shows good compass readings, that I want to do a successful compass calibration of the Phantom in the field before I attempt to fly the it?

marcus_canada said:
I can't believe 3.16 is such a disaster. What gives?

It isn't I have only had a Phantom two weeks now and 3.16 was my first upgrade when I retraced my steps I have solved every issue it was entirely down to lack of knowledge on my part. The only issue with 3.16 I can see is the annoying mc over temp error which you can get round by clicking retry a lot the rest is users no understanding what is happening during the upgrade process.

Rigger609, that link is not working, so I'm not sure if I've seen it or not. I tried to take the phantom out today. I did not do a compass calibration on site because I'm still getting red flashing each time I attempt it. I did however bring my laptop out with me and I plugged in the Phantom. I checked the specs on the NAZA software and everything looked good. It said I didn't need to do Advanced calibration, and the compass readings looked good. I started up the phantom in the correct manor. It started looking for satellites and I waited till I got just blinking green lights. I had it on GPS and IOC off. I lifted the Phantom up 10 feet and it hovered for 5 secs. Then it started drifting backwards away from me without me moving any controls. I then brought it down to 5 feet and it started drifting left, and left, till it started getting away from me. The controls weren't working at this time. It went about 75 feet before it landed in some grass upside down. Fortunately I have prop guards on and it was a relatively soft landing. I think I'm gonna return it to BH Photo for a replacement. (thank you warranty).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20