help...Wifi issues

Reaction score
Hi guys I have only owned my drone for 2 weeks now, but today I was flying my PD3 on a clear day with no wind (also in a big open field) when I lost wifi to my drone.
Now the app closed, I immediately turned the dji app back 'on' to try to reconnect with no luck. The app was left blank and could not connect back to my drone which at that stage was approximately 160ft hieght by 230ft distance just hovering,,I started to panic and ran towards the drone to try to get closer. I managed to get close enough for the app to start blinking a 'weak transmission' tab from which I was able to land the drone..I have two questions ;why did I lose wifi to my drone and the app shut down without warning? and secondly 'Why did the drone not automatically return home'? Thanks for your help in advance..

'Why did the drone not automatically return home'?
Because you only lost downlink ( Video Feed ) and not uplink ( RC Control ). RTH will only automatically engage after 2 to 3 seconds of loss of controller signal.

Thanks I returned to the same spot to fly my p3s once again and this time I noticed a tab flashing on the dji app telling me Warning 'heavy interference' fly with care. Not sure what could be interfering with my signal but I will be finding a new spot to practice..Cheers for the feedback

Hi guys I have only owned my drone for 2 weeks now, but today I was flying my PD3 on a clear day with no wind (also in a big open field) when I lost wifi to my drone.
Now the app closed, I immediately turned the dji app back 'on' to try to reconnect with no luck. The app was left blank and could not connect back to my drone which at that stage was approximately 160ft hieght by 230ft distance just hovering,,I started to panic and ran towards the drone to try to get closer. I managed to get close enough for the app to start blinking a 'weak transmission' tab from which I was able to land the drone..I have two questions ;why did I lose wifi to my drone and the app shut down without warning? and secondly 'Why did the drone not automatically return home'? Thanks for your help in advance..
The heavy interference is often magnetic fields. What kind of surface are you launching from? If you're using a phone, place it in airplane mode and then turn the wi-fi back on.

Also, a reminder the app is connected to your controller and not to the drone itself. So long as you have a green LED on the controller, you have control over the AC. This is the main reason I keep my P3S within line of sight. Had this happened 1,000 feet away it would be difficult to see and know which direction the AC is heading and as such, complicate reeling it back in. Alternatively, you can toggle the S2 switch back and forth a few times and that will trigger RTH.

Your app may have shut down for any number of reasons. Be sure your mobile device is up to the task. Is it on the DJI list of recommended devices? Check this list here Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

Hi LarBear360, The suface is basically the local playground park with about a hundred meters of empty field on either side. The park is often empty, so I thought it was the perfect place to practice and learn how to fly. But today I noticed whilst flying my drone 'nice and close' there was a phone tower around 200 meters in the direction I was flying my drone.
Also thanks for the phone tip, and I checked my phone against the 'best devices for dji go' and unfortunately my 'oppo r9s' is not up to scratch
Again thankyou as I now know I have a few things I need to update and think about before I get too adventurous with my p3s.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
@KenDall_2018,
Welcome to the forum!

"The heavy interference is often magnetic fields"
Interference message, to me means RF interference, not magnetic. It is picking up other signals that may interfere with your signal.

"phone tower around 200 meters"
Yes, my P3S only had this message once, it was when I flew it around my store. a couple of cell towers, and whole lot of WiFi routers. :eek:

Lots of mistakes happen, when you don't understand RTH.

RTH is a fail safe that can make you fail.
Lost Signal, P3S Hovered Instead of RTH
Best Method to RTH?
Lesson learned from crash by RTH because flying with a low battery
Lost signal (but not really)

Rod

Reactions: KenDall_2018
@KenDall_2018,
Welcome to the forum!

"The heavy interference is often magnetic fields"
Interference message, to me means RF interference, not magnetic. It is picking up other signals that may interfere with your signal.

Most definitely the wi-fi around my house causes interference. But the last time I got this message I was trying to launch from a pool deck. Turns out there was rebar throughout. No thank you, I packed it in and aborted the mission.

Hi LarBear360, The suface is basically the local playground park with about a hundred meters of empty field on either side. The park is often empty, so I thought it was the perfect place to practice and learn how to fly. But today I noticed whilst flying my drone 'nice and close' there was a phone tower around 200 meters in the direction I was flying my drone.
Also thanks for the phone tip, and I checked my phone against the 'best devices for dji go' and unfortunately my 'oppo r9s' is not up to scratch
Again thankyou as I now know I have a few things I need to update and think about before I get too adventurous with my p3s.
You're off to a good start. My first flights all took place under similar conditions. School yards, football fields, vacant lots. Perfect for learning. One in particular gave me problems. Turns out there was underground power lines running down the middle of the field. All I had to do was move to another location and all was good.

Try a location away from the phone tower and see what happens.

Hi LarBear360, Ill be definitely seeking out a new location, my best option is proberbly to travel around 40 minutes out of Melbourne where I live. The reason I have taken the sport up is to eventually use my drone for fishing, I have watched a few you tube vid's with guys using their drones for ocean fishing and it looks like alot of fun. I am an avid fisherman and putting the two hobbies together makes perfect sense, and a heck of a lotta fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4