Help?Want to buy but no idea!

Reaction score
hi all pilots,
I am from Cape Town, South Africa.
You have probably heard this question alot but im in the market to buy a drone. From what i have seen the p4 or p4p is a good buy. I have no clue which is the better drone. Please guide me to make the right choice? I have never flown one before but id like also to do some commercial flying.

Thanks guyz

Subjective, but if you can afford the P4P get it if not then get P4.

The primary difference between the P4 and P4P is the camera. The P4P will produce much higher video and still photo quality but has about a $500 higher price (in the US anyway.) If you need (or just want) the higher quality photography then you might want the P4P, however as a first drone and for casual use the P4 is fine. The call is up to you.

Once again ... subjective. To me flight distance and new Intelligent modes also come into play. No matter what we say you should compare the 2 and then decide which is better for you. Some will say you don't need a 4 at all and can get away with a 3.

Is the camera that much better to justify the price difference?
That depends completely on the individual, and perhaps any commercial quality requirements that exist. For strictly personal/casual use for most people, probably not. But other users will want the best quality available, there's just no way to provide a universal answer.

The P4P also has some extra features such as more advanced object avoidance and some additional intelligent flight modes, but these are more nice-to-haves than essential.

Reactions: QuadPhillyFlyer
Again, I'd say that is subjective, depends on your use for it. The P4 has an excellent camera, the P4P has a wonderful camera. The P3P is also worth considering, it's also got an excellent camera, as has the Mavic (if you have to hoof it to locations, it's absolutely wonderful, as it's tiny, and you have carrying space for sandwiches/water/candy). I'd suggest you do some homework on your requirements, read up and watch the Youtube videos (there's a lot of utter rubbish on there too from people that did not do any research or RTFM and then crash almost immediately, and blame the product.)
BTW, you can't just go off and do commercial work, licence/insurance are required.
Here is why South Africa’s new drone regulations are ridiculous

Again, I'd say that is subjective, depends on your use for it. The P4 has an excellent camera, the P4P has a wonderful camera. The P3P is also worth considering, it's also got an excellent camera, as has the Mavic (if you have to hoof it to locations, it's absolutely wonderful, as it's tiny, and you have carrying space for sandwiches/water/candy). I'd suggest you do some homework on your requirements, read up and watch the Youtube videos (there's a lot of utter rubbish on there too from people that did not do any research or RTFM and then crash almost immediately, and blame the product.)
BTW, you can't just go off and do commercial work, licence/insurance are required.
Here is why South Africa’s new drone regulations are ridiculous
Good God! I would have to move from South Africa! LOL. Rediculous regulations! And we think we have it bad here in the U.S.

Thanks guys for your input. Last question, i heard rumors that dji will be releasing the P5 in march 2017. Is that nonsense? Also, how much difference does post editing make? Does it play a big role in the quality of your final product?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No doubt, the P4P is the way to go.. Especially considering you want to do some commercial flying. The image quality is far superior, and the obstacle avoidance is a big plus.

Thanks guys for your input. Last question, i heard rumors that dji will be releasing the P5 in march 2017. Is that nonsense? Also, how much difference does post editing make? Does it play a big role in the quality of your final product?

Post is pretty big on video or stills tbo. Of course, it depends a lot on your color mode choice big time. If you don't want to learn how to do color grading in Premier Pro or some other software, then you would prob want to choose a color mode that looks good from as far as contrast and saturation right out of the gate. Same with stills. Raw files from these cameras can really be tweaked a lot in Photoshop for sure! But you have to know how to drive Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop to pull it off. Youtube is your friend if your just starting out on this stuff btw.

I have a complete different opinion and answer to this newbie question.

Abrax, if you have never flown before, not even an RC plane or car, I recommend starting out with a Phantom 3standard ($399) or Phantom 3 Advanced ($699). These both shoot video in 1080P and 12mp photos. Although I have a Phantom 3P and Phanom 4, I always shoot video in 1080P, because it's adequate resolution 98% of the time, and it's quick and easy to edit on my PC. If you must have 4K video support, then consider the P3P ($799) to learn with.

YOU ARE GOING TO CRASH ! You're a newbie, it's just a matter of time. So, would you rather crash or lose a $1500 craft, or a $400 craft during this learning period? The $400 craft can produce some very nice video and photos, you'll be amazed if your new to this. You have a lot to learn to navigate SMOOTH as SILK when shooting video. You need some training time to master reverse navigation (controls are reverse when flying toward yourself).

After you survive flying a Phantom for 6-9 mos, then you can consider other more expensive craft, assuming you have learned to fly with minimal crashing. By that time the P5 might be released.

When you buy a more expensive craft, keep the first one for backup, or for your kids, wife or friends to go flying with you.

Last edited:
Thank you John. Ok really last question. I see there is alot of bundled packages available to buy which includes a whole lot of accessories. Which are the most essential accessories except additional batteries and a adequate carry bag.

Thank you John. Ok really last question. I see there is alot of bundled packages available to buy which includes a whole lot of accessories. Which are the most essential accessories except additional batteries and a adequate carry bag.
Don't be sucked in by maxing out on accessories.
There would be many that you'd never use.
It's better to just go with the batteries and case and decide later which accessories you really need.

Which are the most essential accessories except additional batteries and a adequate carry bag.
That's all you really need. A spare set of props would be good to have on hand too.

Just to let you guys know, im a proud owner of a p4. Got a great deal with some essential accessories. Will post my first flight etc soon once ive gone through the manual etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31