Help! Version 1.1 vs newest

Reaction score
I just purchased a phantom kit from B and H - the one where they pre-install the zenmuse gimbal and test it, and install the upgrade board etc. I assumed since I just bought it last week, and they said "you'll get new stock" I was getting whatever the newest version of the phantom was - but it appears to be an old 1.1. It has a single antenna, old motors and rotors. However B and H installed a new board on it for the Zenmuse, and the upgrade lever on the back of the controller, etc.

This is a non-returnable item but I can still inquire if it seems like it's a big deal.

Is it worth it to inquire about returning it for a 1.1.1? I was most interested in the self-tighting props and reportedly better range from the dual antennas and a new board in the controller. I am admittedly totally ignorant, so I would appreciate some guidance. Or did the installation service they did by putting in the new board give me most of what I would be getting with the new version (minus the props.)?

Thanks for any thoughts - I just got it today so probably have a few days to contact them.

I would return it. You were entitled to receive the latest unit, unless they had disclosed in their Website that you were purchasing an older unit. I am going through a similar issue where I was told that I was getting the latest release (fresh, days from shipping from the factory to the dealer), only to find out that the controller does not have the external USB port and DJI Website states that the newer RCs have the USB port outside.

I intend to push the issue to get the latest controller as represented. I sent emails to both DJI and the dealer.

Man, that would piss me off to no end. I would return it on principle alone. That's BS IF they promised you the newest version, because it sure sounds like that is not what you received.

The version 1.1.1 (which I acquired back in October!!) has two antennae, a self-centering throttle, and the gimbal lever on the back of the Tx. You should have all of those features in your Phantom.

PF

The throttle self-centers. Well, both sticks are spring loaded - that's self-centering, right?

To be fair, I may have not asked the right questions - as I said I'm totally ignorant. When I was researching the purchase, I saw that new versions had self-tightening props and a few other things and that seemed interesting and something I'd want. When I asked, they didn't SPECIFICALLY say that it would come with that stuff, they just said "yes yes, it's new stock."

I'm also considering trying to return it and then buying the new V2 instead, which is essentially the same price. Yes, the batteries are more expensive but in terms of convenience of double flight times, might be worth it. And I'd be guaranteed to be getting the newest hardware. I bought the kit that included all the gimbal upgrades installed, plus the hard case (which is nice, btw). I am not sure they will accept the return since they had to open the phantom to do the install, though that kit is still for sale on their site (so they could resell it) and says nothing about no returns now. And I haven't touched anything - just opened it up and looked at the version sticker and inspected the props/antenna.

single antenna and non-centering sticks on radio means you have the original phantom and not a phantom 1.11. Since the Phantom 2 is here now selling for $679 without Go Pro Camera. I would purchase it instead of the first version Phantom. It comes with up grade board installed, so the Zenmuse gimbal is just plug and play. Dual antennas, self-centering sticks and a battery that allows for 25 minutes of flight time. Better return that pile of old hardware and get the Phantom 2 not the Phantom Vision, Phantom 1.11 or the old phantom. Buy the latest Phantom 2 model, it also has updated flyaway prevention built into it, where earlier models do not.

In either case, you do not have to ask for the latest version. It is for granted that when you buy new from a dealer you will get the most current version, unless otherwise disclosed in advance. That is clearly the law in every state. I would return it and give them the option to either refund you in full including shipping, or getting you the most current version, and them paying all shipping back and fore. You should write an email or a fax.

Well, the first response I got from them was refusal to return because it's a kit that they opened to install the zenmuse. I understand their point, as they can't now sell the individual parts because they are opened and installed. However they still sell the kit as I bought it, and I haven't touched anything so I asked for an exception, as they could certainly resell it without issue. We'll see what they say. Part of me wants to keep it because I'm excited to try it out NOW. But I also would feel crummy paying $1200 for old hardware.

I have version 1.1.1, and it has a self centering throttle and auto tightening props. However, it only has one antennae and no lever on the controller. What's the deal?

That's weird. So mine has self centering throttle, gimbal lever on the controller, but one antenna, and old props. The gimbal lever is from the upgrade they did though.

That's odd. I got the same package as you. Which came with two antennae installed, the hardware bind button in the back, self centering sticks, and not self tightening props but the black and silver nuts, which screw in alternating directions. It said V1.1 on the box. Who knows what I got but I'm happy to see the two antenna. The firmware was up to date to 4.02 I believe.

So I finally got a reply from B and H and they refused a return for the second time. I'm a little peeved about it but seems I have few options now. I guess I'll just keep it and try not to feel gypped. It's funny, I ordered from B and H because I feel guilty about getting their big paper catalog and never ordering anything - I guess I won't feel guilty anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav