Help understanding Signal

The one time it happened to me, my phone battery was low and it turned off my wifi to save battery

It means you lost signal to the aircraft. When that happens it causes the wifi to loose connection also therefor disabling fpv. That's why its always important to set the homepoint so it will come right back to you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: jointeffort
First let's talk about how bad of GPS signal you had, you could have lost signal and switched to atti mode which causes you to drift and if you aren't used to it a crash is almost certain. Your signal score was very bad as well, you might want to watch this DJI video and also try to not have trees blocking your line of sight to the drone.

Remember if you would have lost GPS and signal that Return to home would not work.

Attachments

• Bad GPS.jpg
    Bad GPS.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 356
  • Bad Signal.jpg
    Bad Signal.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 330
First let's talk about how bad of GPS signal you had, you could have lost signal and switched to atti mode which causes you to drift and if you aren't used to it a crash is almost certain. Your signal score was very bad as well, you might want to watch this DJI video and also try to not have trees blocking your line of sight to the drone.

Remember if you would have lost GPS and signal that Return to home would not work.
Thank you so much for the feedback, I was trying to determine how dangerous the situation was but this really helps. Looking back there were a couple of things I think affected my signal, the trees (even though they were bare and slightly below LOS) between me and the bird. I was confused because my fpv went out and I got the RC Signal Lost but I could still control the bird and the GPS map worked to help me bring it back home.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I was trying to determine how dangerous the situation was but this really helps. Looking back there were a couple of things I think affected my signal, the trees (even though they were bare and slightly below LOS) between me and the bird. I was confused because my fpv went out and I got the RC Signal Lost but I could still control the bird and the GPS map worked to help me bring it back home.
Yeah control signal and video signal are 2 different frequencies, you nearly lost GPS and Control signal though which in that case you would have either drifted into something or auto landed possibly into water and you wouldn't have known the exact last location.

Yeah control signal and video signal are 2 different frequencies, you nearly lost GPS and Control signal though which in that case you would have either drifted into something or auto landed possibly into water and you wouldn't have known the exact last location.
What would affect me almost losing my GPS signal, interference in the area or LOS?

I would be more worried about line of sight obstructions but if there were no obstructions you could have had interference with your signal from wifi networks. My son has an XK Detect X380 and there is one park that has free wifi throughout, when he flies there he gets half the range that he normally would get. I would never want to lose GPS signal though so you should make sure to keep an eye on the top of the go app to make sure it says safe to fly gps and monitor how many satellites you have throughout your flight.

I would be more worried about line of sight obstructions but if there were no obstructions you could have had interference with your signal from wifi networks. My son has an XK Detect X380 and there is one park that has free wifi throughout, when he flies there he gets half the range that he normally would get. I would never want to lose GPS signal though so you should make sure to keep an eye on the top of the go app to make sure it says safe to fly gps and monitor how many satellites you have throughout your flight.
will do, thank you for your help!

First let's talk about how bad of GPS signal you had

Any thoughts on why the low Gps signals?
Overcast / Heavy cloud cover?
I will have to look through some of my logs, I have a hill to my East. It goes up about 2000' in 3/4 of mile. I figured that was factor and weather was giving me some poor results at times.

I'm really clueless on what affects my GPS signal. Today I flew out in the country on a cloud free day and only had 6-8 GPS.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj