help required dropping a camera off with drone

Reaction score
Hello all, can i get some help?

I need to place a gopro on top of a building with the phantom 3 so it can film a concrete pour then grab it off the building later.

i was gonna use like a hook system to fly up and pull it off the building when finished.

Putting the gopro will be done by myself but getting it off will be done via my phantom 3

Any tips?

do i need to turn bottom sensors off?
is this possible?

any tips at all

lift weight is only a gopro and the grab location will be 10m high and right in front. ill be standing underneath

thankyou

Hello all, can i get some help?

I need to place a gopro on top of a building with the phantom 3 so it can film a concrete pour then grab it off the building later.

i was gonna use like a hook system to fly up and pull it off the building when finished.

Putting the gopro will be done by myself but getting it off will be done via my phantom 3

Any tips?

do i need to turn bottom sensors off?
is this possible?

any tips at all

lift weight is only a gopro and the grab location will be 10m high and right in front. ill be standing underneath

thankyou

Hi Vexed

You dont say whether or not the Gopro will be inside its water proof casing or not, how will it be mounted, what will it be standing on...?

Waylander

If you can put it there yourself, can't you just go and grab it afterwards yourself? Retrieving it with a drone sounds like asking for trouble and would be a last resort IMO.

If you cant go get it, maybe attach a fishing line and a little parachute to the gopro or something?

Reactions: Pharm
If you can put it there yourself, can't you just go and grab it afterwards yourself? Retrieving it with a drone sounds like asking for trouble and would be a last resort IMO.

If you cant go get it, maybe attach a fishing line and a little parachute to the gopro or something?

sorry i wasn't clear. It's a concrete pour on a building. I can get up there before they pour but i wont be able to get it off once it's poured on the same day

The gopro will have a mount, mounted onto the ledge. Nothing big, all roughly the same size as the gopro. I want to fly above it and grab it with a hook and bring it down

In that case, I'd still try something else, like a parachute. You'll need to think of a mechanism to prevent the chute catching wind prematurely, like requiring a tug of your fishing line. Or possible even a remote trigger.

If you are going to do it with the phantom, well, a hook and wire should do it I suppose, but good luck hooking it and not losing it midflight. Maybe add that chute anyway as a safety measure :)

The gopro will have a mount, mounted onto the ledge. Nothing big, all roughly the same size as the gopro. I want to fly above it and grab it with a hook and bring it down

Hi Vexed
Sorry to be pedantic, your description is I'm afraid a bit vague, "the Gopro will have a mount" what kind of mount, how much does it weigh, "mounted onto a ledge", how is it mounted, do you mean it is stood resting on the ledge..? where is the ledge, what objects surround the ledge...?,
I can think of a method but need more info :)
Waylander

Hi Vexed
Sorry to be pedantic, your description is I'm afraid a bit vague, "the Gopro will have a mount" what kind of mount, how much does it weigh, "mounted onto a ledge", how is it mounted, do you mean it is stood resting on the ledge..? where is the ledge, what objects surround the ledge...?,
I can think of a method but need more info :)
Waylander

hi thank's for getting back to me

The gopro will be with a light weight mini gorilla tripod. It wont weigh much, no more than the gopro itself.
On the gopro i was thinking putting a ring arout 10cm and with the drone a wire with a hook to grab it and bring it down.
I will be close to it, looking up to grab it. I'm an expert pilot and guiding a hook to a ring i see no problem. My issue is can it be done without the drone smashing due to the weight

That hook will be dangling in the prop downdraft. Expert pilot or not, have you tried this to see its effect? You probably want a stiff rod rather than a wire.

Hi Vexed
It seems to me, that it would be better to remove the difficulty of hooking the ring with the drone, why not attach a length of fishing line to the Gopro, which is long enough to reach the ground, then when you want to retrieve the Gopro, simply attach the line to the Quad take off and fly straight up till the line goes tight then lift the Gopro, sure you will be 10 meters above the Gopro, but you wont be affecting the retrieve due to the down-wash of the Phantoms props.
Try the lift first with a short length of line, ensure that the fixing point of the line to the Phantom is located as near as possible to the drones centre of gravity, else the additional weight of the gopro may cause the Phantom to tilt, and cause stability problems.

Waylander

Reactions: WetDog and Dronason
I would recommend you come up with a new plan because this is very unlikely to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Vexed
It seems to me, that it would be better to remove the difficulty of hooking the ring with the drone, why not attach a length of fishing line to the Gopro, which is long enough to reach the ground, then when you want to retrieve the Gopro, simply attach the line to the Quad take off and fly straight up till the line goes tight

Not a bad idea, depending how high the building is. If its too high, you could consider a variant of your idea: Attach a (overly long) line to the gopro. Put the line through a ring which is fixed to the phantom. Then take off, hover over the camera, and pull in the line to lift the gopro towards the quad. THen fly back, while a second person manages the line length to make sure the gopro is not dangling too low or too close to the phantom.

hi thank's for getting back to me

The gopro will be with a light weight mini gorilla tripod. It wont weigh much, no more than the gopro itself.
On the gopro i was thinking putting a ring arout 10cm and with the drone a wire with a hook to grab it and bring it down.
I will be close to it, looking up to grab it. I'm an expert pilot and guiding a hook to a ring i see no problem. My issue is can it be done without the drone smashing due to the weight
Weight should not be an issue. With a Samsung gear 360 (about 300g weight) suspended by a 3 feet wire, it was ok. You have to flight carefully as the gopro will dance a lot bellow your drone when you stop or change of direction.
Probably the best is to have plan A as suggest by Waylander. As plan B, I would still have a ring on top, just in case. But for plan B, you need to practice it a lot before. It is probably not that easy. I made one of such "hanchor" in case one of my P3 is stuck on top a tree, but never tried it. That should come in the list of TODO.
Good luck for your experiment.

Not a bad idea, depending how high the building is. If its too high, you could consider a variant of your idea: Attach a (overly long) line to the gopro. Put the line through a ring which is fixed to the phantom. Then take off, hover over the camera, and pull in the line to lift the gopro towards the quad. THen fly back, while a second person manages the line length to make sure the gopro is not dangling too low or too close to the phantom.

Hi Vertigo A variant on your variant, for 1 man operation, do as you say, with ring attached to Phantom, ( line could be on a spool), hover 3-4 meters above the Gopro, tie off the line to a stake or weight, but dont create to big an angle between the lift point and the ground achor point, then lift up a couple meters, carefully fly the phantom away from the building, (dependant on the angle of the line the gopro may lower a bit when you do this ), once you are clear start to bring the phantom down until gopro is on the ground...
Waylander

Hi vertigo
Yes please do as Ted4797 suggests I think many Pilots would like to see how this Lift turns out :)
Waylander

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Hi Vexed

Yes please do as Ted4797 suggests, and post a video, I think many Pilots would like to see how this Lift turns out :)
Waylander

Last year I was trying to pick up an object from ground with my Phantom. I had about a 3 foot string with hook and a loop on object to be lifted. It was less than five feet from me and I couldn't do it. The rotor wash blew the string all over. I even made a treble hook. No luck. I would think a long string, maybe 5 feet with a strong magnet and metal on the gopro. I just don't know if a magnet 5 feet from drone would cause a problem. You could test on ground . If you got the magnet even close to go pro it would try to grab it. That's what I wll try next.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31