Help removing stuck 9443 R propeller

Reaction score
Phantom Pilots,

I suffered a crash where the Phantom flipped upside down from about 12' and landed on one prop.

The engine runs fine but I cant get the propeller loosened.

Does anyone have any advice to remove a stuck 9443 R propeller? According to the face of the propeller, the "unlock" is clockwise.

I've tried using the DJI included wrench, it turns the propeller, but it never becomes looser. It just does not budge in either direction - loosen or tighten. Im putting a lot of pressure on the wrench.

It seems the impact caused the propeller to become cross threaded.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Justin

That wouldn't cross thread it. Sounds like the prop is spinning on the metal hub.

If you hold the motor housing with your hand/prop wrench, does the prop spin?

If so, the prop shaft may be damaged inside the motor.

If not, then hold the prop wrench in place and force the blade in the unlocking direction. If the blade is damaged, if has to come off regardless. If it isn't, I still wouldn't trust it if it was over torqued by the crash to the point of being that difficult to remove.

You may want to take a hairdryer to it. Set it on high heat, low speed and direct the airflow at the hub, but inclined so that the air isn't blowing directly on the plastic Phantom enclosure. Once the hub reaches a stable high temperature, immediately try to unlock the prop. This is a tactic I've used many times on Blackhawk helicopters in the Army for stuck hardware or stuck blade pins. It causes everything to expand and may help release the hub of the prop from the shaft.

Guys, thanks for the feedback.

The propeller does not spin with the wrench holding. So, I believe the engine is good. It rotates and "feels" like the other three engines.

Based on your comments, it sounds like the propeller was "over torqued". But, it dose not budget with the DJI wrench tool or any type of pressure. The prop rotates, but never become looser and appears to be lower on the engine screw.

So, Im still looking for advice on how to get it off.

Thanks,
Justin

The propeller does not spin with the wrench holding. So, I believe the engine is good. It rotates and "feels" like the other three engines.

Based on your comments, it sounds like the propeller was "over torqued". But, it dose not budget with the DJI wrench tool or any type of pressure. The prop rotates, but never become looser and appears to be lower on the engine screw.

Thanks,
Justin

Put a mark on the metal hub, turn the prop and see if the hub is turning too.

Thanks,
Justin

If I'm understanding you correctly, since that's the case, I would personally use my Dremel tool to cut the hub in half to remove the prop. Sounds like it over-torqued in the hub housing and is now stuck. You'd have to be careful you didn't get into the shaft threads though.

The metal hub is not turning, Im holding it with the wrench and it is not moving. The propeller rotates atop the engine post, but it turns with difficulty, and never becomes loose.

Sounds to me like the hub was over-torqued onto the shaft by the crash. The best sign of this is the prop sitting lower than normal on the shaft as well as the prop turning on the shaft with the shaft held in place with no release or tightening of the prop.

If this were my bird, I would tape off all the slots in the motor housing and the surrounding area then cut the hub off with a Dremel. However, some folks may not be comfortable doing that. If you're anywhere near Panama City Beach, FL, I'd be happy to help.

Blackhawk, Thank you for the advice. Im currently overseas, but thanks for the offer to help. Im afraid your correct that the prop will have to be cut off. Is a dremel tool the only method? Is it possible to put a cut into the prop with a knife then pull it apart? Is the core (black hub) plastic or metal? When I cut thru the plastic part of the hub, do I stop there?

The metal hub is not turning, Im holding it with the wrench and it is not moving. The propeller rotates atop the engine post, but it turns with difficulty, and never becomes loose.
The hub I'm referring to is the one at the center of the prop, it's black or silver. Not the motor housing where you can put the DJI wrench. Cutting it off may be necessary but you may be able to use channel locks or vice grips to grab the hub and break it loose.

The hub I'm referring to is the one at the center of the prop, it's black or silver. Not the motor housing where you can put the DJI wrench. Cutting it off may be necessary but you may be able to use channel locks or vice grips to grab the hub and break it loose.

I'm referring to the hub the same as you are.

I agree that some pliers may "pop" the prop off. However, I would also be worried about damaging/bending the shaft. I would Imagine the shaft is held in place with a couple small snap rings on top of an upper bearing and below a bottom bearing to hold it in place while allowing it to spin when the motor is energized. Damaging one of the holder bearings or a snap-ring would be my biggest concern there.

It's worth a try though as long if careful that only vertical pulling is used and then, and I have no idea how much force it would require to damage the shaft mounting in the motor, but I wouldn't use a whole lot. The tolerances are extremely small. There is zero vertical play in the shaft and that would indicate to me a very small tolerance for damage.

Just my thoughts. I could be overly worried.

I thought so, it didn't sound like the OP did. The housing where the wrench goes is just cast aluminum so it's not very strong either. Not a good situation. I think there's only one c clip at the base but it doesn't matter, too much of the wrong force could trash the motor.

Guys, good news! I just used a pliers on top with the DJI wrench below and with very little force the prop loosened. The thread underneath was not damaged and hopefully will be aOK.

Reactions: Marlin009
Guys, good news! I just used a pliers on top with the DJI wrench below and with very little force the prop loosened. The thread underneath was not damaged and hopefully will be aOK.

That is AWESOME news! The least invasive path is typically the best! Glad you went that route!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj